PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

howardparsons

Lurker
Nov 26, 2012
Charlottesville, VA
Gentlemen,

I have a Brebba with the stem canted to the left rather than the right. I'd love change this but the stem is stuck; it doesn't want to turn when I twist it. I don't want to apply too much torque because we all know what will happen . . . right?
I've had similar things happen over the past 4 decades & have always been able to rectify the situation but this time the stem really does not want to turn. Any suggestions? :?:

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I've left them overnight in the freezer with no ill effects.Some stubborn ones I freeze,thaw and freeze again.

Dec 24, 2012
I had a pipe the other day where the stem wouldn't move at all. 5 minutes in the freezer and it easily came off. A little dab of graphite powder and now it works fine.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
On this subject, my estate Dunhills came in fine with the stem coming apart with gentle to moderate turning power.
Now, a few months later, the stem seems to need quite a bit of force to remove it when its cold. So much so that I'm worried that I will break it.
I read on an earlier post about using mineral oil; then later a read about graphite.
Went searching for graphite in the garage until i realized that a pencil is graphite. So I 'colored' in the stem and it worked fine.
My question: Why is this happening? I do clean the tenon area well (alright, not probably as good as Harris does ) after smoking, so I'm confused as to why this is happening.
??
Allan

Dec 24, 2012
I believe it comes from liquid/humidity expanding the briar. I wouldn't recommend mineral oil since it is also "wet". Cool thought on the pencil.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
In addition to the excellent advice offered above, I have also used bees wax and bar soap on the stem. Just a little bit, but both work in keeping a stem from getting to tight.

oldredbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2012
I have left pipes in the freezer for several hours to get a stuck stem out, with no ill effects. I have also used scotch brite to bring them down a bit, with very good results. I wrap it around the tenon and just turn it by hand with very light pressure.
Will have to give the graphite a go, haven't heard that before, but it sounds like a good idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.