PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

phallbass

Might Stick Around
Dec 27, 2016
Hello all. I received a Sav blue Alligator 316ks as a Christmas gift from my daughter. Bless her heart she really wanted me to have it so her and my mother got it for me, so I already loved it. I was having a time getting things moving along with it. Just less than average enjoyment and control it seemed. I looked through the forum on posts regarding bowl coatings and saw that there were divided opinions on it. Finally I gave in a week or so ago and started over by sanding the bowl down bare and cleaning well. Instantly it came to life. Much better smoker right away. If it's all in my head I'll accept that and move on with this bowl of Plum Pudding and the first Asia album after hearing of John Wettons passing this day. Cheers everyone!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Great! I've never had a problem with bowl coatings, though I do prefer pipes without them. I'm glad you resolved your gift pipe situation. Welcome aboard.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
A very special gift indeed.

Good to here it is smoking to our satisfaction now. :puffy:

rx2man

Part of the Furniture Now
May 25, 2012
The 316 is one of my favorite shapes. As well as the gator line. You lucked out as I have yet to get a pipe from wifey. My daughter is only 7 so it will be a while....

alexnorth

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2015
Congratulations! I'm glad to hear you brought your Christmas pipe to life. Mementos like that are meant to be cherished

mrbigglesworth

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 1, 2015
Winston Salem, NC
I bought a Brebbia (I love Brebbias) that had an overly-thick bowl coating once. It seemed to be coating my mouth and masking the flavors. I stuck my pipe tool in the bottom of the bowl and removed a fair amount of coating that, I guess, had settled in the bottom and was never properly gotten out at the factory. I scraped out the bowl, then sanded. No problems since then and one of my best pipes. I guess it just happens sometimes.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
I generally don't have a problem with bowl coatings but prefer pipes that don't have them.
I think a bigger problem with some makes like Peterson is they dip the pipe when staining so the bowl is coated with stain.

phallbass

Might Stick Around
Dec 27, 2016
Thank you.

9 year old daughter wanted me to have it. Haha. My buddy. So yes I am lucky.
Having a blast on the forum. Love reading everyday on here. Great great stuff. Lots of respect here.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Funny how gift pipes sometimes respond and unfold with adjustments. I was given a very attractive slightly bent freehand Dublin estate pipe, bright grain and finish with plateau on the rim. It had a vucanite stem and P-Lip bit that just wouldn't stay polished but oxidized after every smoke. A quick trip to the pipe repair got it a new stem, and now it smokes great, looks terrific, and will now easily pass a pipe cleaner as it wouldn't before. It has a really big bowl but isn't especially heavy for its size. What's not to like? This is a Thompson Cigar house pipe stamped 'West Germany' as mentioned before on various threads. Your alligator now sounds perfect for the duration. Nice gift!

Status
Not open for further replies.