PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ruscho

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 8, 2014
I see there is a burley thread, but didn't want to hijack it.
I would like to add some burley to some English blends to boost up the nic.
Those of you guys that smoke burley - which pure burley "blends" have the most nic? The stronger, the better, so I don't have to use much and dilute the original blend much.

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
If you are looking for straight Burley with no other types of tobacco mixed in, Cornell and Diehl has a Cube-Cut Burley, a Burley Ribbon Cut, and a White Burley that they sell in bulk only. If you want Dark-Fired, there is Gawith, Hoggarth &Co. Kendal Kentucky, Mac Baren HH Old Dark Fired, and Peter Stokkebye 314 Dark Fired.
Pipes and Cigars has a feature on their website with which you can narrow down your tobacco selection by clicking check-boxes of what type of tobacco you are looking for. I heard Smokingpipes has a Tobacco Selector, too, but I haven't tried it.

ruscho

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 8, 2014
Is the 5brothers just plain burley? I thought it's more of an aromatic.
If you are looking for straight Burley with no other types of tobacco mixed in, Cornell and Diehl has a Cube-Cut Burley, a Burley Ribbon Cut, and a White Burley that they sell in bulk only.
but which one of those is the strongest one, white burley?

bulletsnbriars

Can't Leave
Nov 9, 2013
Nashville/Williston
What Mike said :)
5 Brothers is just straight shag cut burley, nothing else, and definitely not aromatic. I like to mix it with aros for a nice kick with a pleasant taste and room note. 75% 5 bros + 25% 1Q = a room note to please the wife, and a nic hit to keep you happy with a slight edge of vanilla.

Jul 15, 2011
Indeed 5 Bro's. Also try u some Kendalls Kentucky or Dark Birds Eye
^^^^^This. I'll also throw Cornell and Diehls Montford Point Marine and Old Joe Krantz in the mix. C&D claims OJK is an "all day" smoke, but if you smoke that shit all day they're going to wind up finding traces of blood in your nicotine stream :mrgreen:

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
5 Bro's all the way. Delivers the good stuff and adds little/no taste of its own, thus, does not interfere with the flavor of whatever tobacco you mix it with.
Pipestud

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Doubt they would sell you it, but GH Dark Flake incorporates a Malawi burley, which has considerable punch. You might also use Pease Jacknife Plug. The recommend of GH Kendal KY is on-target.

ruscho

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 8, 2014
Great, thanks for the suggestions!

It appears that 5Bros is in the lead as the strongest burley stuff. Cheap, too. I'm gonna grab a couple of pouches and see how it goes.

msandoval858

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
Quick side question since we're on this topic. I've only gone through one pouch of 5 Bros. Need to order more soon!
That pouch was pretty dry though. I wound up having to humidify it a tad to get it to where I like it. For those that smoke it often, is this normal?

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Yes sir, it is on the dry side. I don't dehydrate though. It smokes great for me as is, plus, when I mix it with another tobacco it usually absorbs a little moisture anyway.
Pipestud

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
I just got some C&D Crooner, P&C has all C&D blends 20% off through the end of Aug. Right now 8-15oz is $2.04 and

16-31oz is $1.94. It's pretty good stuff but it has the herb deertongue in it that makes it an aromatic, but that's Very debatable.
tinner :wink:

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
5 Brothers is probably what you are looking for. I purchased some on the recommendation of someone on the forum and even a hardened smoker of block buster tobaccos like myself had to sit down and think about this one. I also noted that the tobacco was a little on the dry side and I chucked a humidifying stone into the pouch to also get the tobacco where I wanted it. Jack Knife is another one that will fulfill your need for a full bloodied burley although I found that the one tin I had that I borrowed off my friend was the devils on job to cut up but again maybe I got the Friday afternoon plug or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.