PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

spanishkarl

Lurker
Aug 24, 2015
Hi,
I got my first pipe about 5 months ago, and the pipe tobacco blends I have found so far that satisfy my nicotine demands (I am a cigarette chain-smoker) are Dunhill Royal Yacht, Peterson University Flake and Peterson Irish Flake. I prefer the taste and smell of the latter two, but I find the flakes to be a bit fiddly to prepare, and also to keep lit. Are there any ready rubbed blends which are similar in taste and strength? I am based in the UK.
Thanks in advance!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm not sure what all is available in UK blend by blend. Heartier loose tobacco blends that you might consider, if they are available there, or from 4noggins which ships to UK I believe, are the really strong Tambolaka, an Indonesian burley that is full strength enough for anyone, and either of the Tobac-Manil Semois leafs, thick cut and the even fuller strength medium cut. If you don't like burley, there are many English blends that have full throttle strength. Nightcap is a classic. Cornell & Diehl makes a number of blends that include burley, like Billy Budd with cigar leaf, and Old Joe Krantz which is a little milder and has no cigar. Your best shot is to spend some time on the tobacco pages of our Forums sponsors (in red at the right of the Forums home page) and look for those that show fuller strength in the ratings. You can read up on the constituent tobaccos, their strength, taste, room note, and other details on each blend, and begin to find those closest to what you want. You have to walk this path yourself since no one else can know all of the nuances of your tastes.

cynicismandsugar

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 17, 2015
Springfield, Mo
Oh, I dig me some Irish Oak! And I'm also an Irish Flake fan -- so I'm going to second DeathMetal's suggestion.
Living in the U.S. I have yet to get my hands on any Condor, but I've heard great things. So, if you try it, please let me know how it goes!

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
G&H Dark Birdseye is a shag cut, very strong straight Virginia blend that I find is a great blend to help you kick the cigarette habit and you should be able to get it easy in the UK.

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
+1 on the Dark Birdseye. Also, you can get MacBaren's - Old Dark Fired in Ready Rubbed format if you're not keen on flakes.
We'll just leave plugs right out of this since you're too hassled by flakes, but you're missing out on some good smokin there.

sw0snuff3r

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 3, 2014
St. Bruno Ready Rubbed might be worth a try for you and readily available in the U.K. as I understand. It's classified as an aromatic on tobaccoreviews but I find the tobacco shines through over whatever toppings may have been added. It's not available in North America but I was fortunate to get some via a trade and thoroughly enjoyed it. It scratched the nicotine itch as well and I was a pack a day smoker for 25 years.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
And of course the sponsors are on the LEFT side of the homepage. For some reason I didn't have particular difficulty marching in bootcamp. However ...

May 31, 2012
Give Glynn Quelch a ring,

he's incredibly helpful and also a trueblue goodguy!
http://www.gqtobaccos.com/
He'll hook you up good!
:puffy:

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
There's loads of choice available in tobacconists in England, trouble is there's never been so few tobacconists. If you want a good strong smoke easily available any supermarket stocks St. Bruno/condor/ or mellow Virginia. The best & strongest blends come in flakes though, so get rubbing if you want to do it properly. !suerte tio!

danhester

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 17, 2016
If you like Irish Flake, I think blends with fire-cured Kentucky are good places to look. Someone suggested MacBaren Old Dark Fired. The bulk version is ready rubbed , so no flake hassle. It is pretty damn good.
Vincent Manil Semois is also really good and unique, and it has the advantage of making for a very good hand-rolled cigarette as well.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I second the Semois. Good stuff. Also try Hal O' The Wynd. A strong, honeylike but rich Virginia with touches of Perique and Kentucky.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Also GH Brown Twist Sliced. Not fully rubbed, but not in flake either, and the little coins burn well.

Status
Not open for further replies.