Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

grouchydog

Can't Leave
Oct 16, 2013
Hey folks, hope everyone's having a good afternoon.
Are there any full-bodied, reasonably strong aromatics that you know of and would recommend? I like aros well enough, but I'd like to find something with more body and strength than the typical aros that I've tried.
Thanks in advance,
Alan

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
I have been smoking GL Pease's "Navigator" lately. Its a very nice and I tend to stay away from some stronger tobaccos.
https://www.smokingpipes.com/tobacco/by-maker/g-l-pease/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=114499

gtclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 3, 2013
I really like Peterson's University Flake. It has good body and a really nice plum topping.

Jan 8, 2013
"Well, I dont usually smoke aros, but.." :rofl:
Tinderbox Chartwell is a good one, mildly aromatic, nice full flavor, and it leaves a great smell on your clothes.

jsmarriner

Lurker
Feb 24, 2014
Grouchydog, I am so glad you asked this because I was wondering the exact same thing. I will be watching this thread closely.

grouchydog

Can't Leave
Oct 16, 2013
Thanks guys, keep 'em coming.
Got a TAD order today, only thing backordered was Navigator... :cry:
I've read about Bagpiper's Dream, I'll get some next TAD. There are actually a couple of other Rattray's blends that look good to me...

grouchydog

Can't Leave
Oct 16, 2013
How about SG Firedance Flake? That's supposed to be Best Brown Flake with an aromatic topping. Anyone had it?

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
grouchy:
Step away from that Firedance tin!! I smoked my way through about 2/3 of a tin and could never figure out how it ever made it past the testing phase. I thought it was awful. Yes, it had some good tobacco flavor, but the overwhelming aroma was like sweaty feet to me! (I know they talk about berries and such, but I got nothing like that in the bowl.)
Of course, your mileage may vary. But I'm really not exaggerating when I say "sweaty feet."
Bob

natibo

Nov 10, 2013
Cincinnati, OH USA
McClelland Bulk: 2000 - FRAGRANT MATURED CAKE, MacBaren Vanilla Cream FLAKE, and PS Luxury Twist Flake are all great and are made from Virginias and have more flavor as a result (IMO). Also, buy some 5 brothers and add it to any aro for some vitamin N.

msandoval858

Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
If you are among the group that doesn't find Lakeland style blends offensive, you can't go wrong with any of the GH&Co scented varieites. I've found those tobaccos to be great and giving an aromatic quality while still having real tobacco flavors that develop throughout the bowl. Yes, they are not for everyone and are a big contrast from what most think of as "normal" aromatics, but I certainly do enjoy them.
Dan's Blue Note is another great one. It's blended with a mix of virginias with toppings added to give it a nice sweetness. I haven't smoked it in several years so I'm going off of memory, but it's certainly one to try.
C&D Autum Evening is another popular one. I don't prefer it because I'm not a big fan of maple in my tobacco but many guys love it. The aroma is pretty stout and it definitely delivers in the flavor department.
Nording Labrador is a winner. One of my go to blends when I'm craving an aromatic. It has a great carmel and hazelnut aroma that tastes as good as it smells. This is one of those blends that will have non-smokers following their noses over to you to see what you're smoking.

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
Step away from that Firedance tin!! I smoked my way through about 2/3 of a tin and could never figure out how it ever made it past the testing phase. I thought it was awful. Yes, it had some good tobacco flavor, but the overwhelming aroma was like sweaty feet to me! (I know they talk about berries and such, but I got nothing like that in the bowl.)
Of course, your mileage may vary. But I'm really not exaggerating when I say "sweaty feet."
Bob
Damn Bob, I just got a tin of that with my last TAD order from SPC, as i have not tried it but heard good things. I hope we have a varying sense of smell, bc my girlfriend will NEVER let me smoke in the house again, lol. We shall see. Also included in that was Rum Flake which i'm looking forward to trying too.
natibo wrote:
McClelland Bulk: 2000 - FRAGRANT MATURED CAKE, MacBaren Vanilla Cream FLAKE, and PS Luxury Twist Flake are all great and are made from Virginias and have more flavor as a result (IMO). Also, buy some 5 brothers and add it to any aro for some vitamin N.
I agree, i have been taking aromatics and mixing them with 1792, DBE, Black Irish XX, and Best Brown Rope with very tasty results. Gives you the N and makes for a much fuller bodied smoke with a kick in the pants (depending on ratio of mixture).

grouchydog

Can't Leave
Oct 16, 2013
Thanks!
I'm asking more about non-Lakeland aromatics - in my mind Lakelands are a different category. I have tins of Rum Flake and Grousemoor waiting for empty jars and good weather, so at some point I'll see if Lakelands are my thing or not.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
I would take a look at some of the Pipeworks & Wilke blends, I don't know if I would call them strong, but they are very good smokes.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
Natibo already mentioned two of the three that I was gonna suggest, Mac Baren Vanilla Cream Flake and PS Luxury Twist Flake.

I'm gonna add Mac Baren Mixture Flake to that list as well.

All three of these are very good quality tobaccos! They all have a strong Va base, and actually let some of the natural Va taste come through. They come at a good moisture level, burn well and smoke cool!

Jul 12, 2011
GL's Haddo's Delight is what I reach for; SP.com now sells a 16oz tin.... :puffy:
From the tin;

Haddo's Delight is a stout blend of several Virginia tobaccos with a generous measure of long-cut Perique. Unflavored Black Cavendish and a little air-cured White Burley ribbon provide fullness, body, and a bit of extra strength. Finally, an exclusive process darkens and marries the mixture, and gives the blend a subtle tin aroma of cocoa and dried fruit. The flavor is full on the palate, earthy, slightly sweet and intriguingly piquant, with overtones of figs and raisins. A wonderful blend for the Perique lover!

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
True aros with some tobacco taste:
Mac Baren Vanilla Cream Flake - IMO the best Aro for those who want to taste some tobacco.
C&D Autumn Evening - a little more strength and body than your average Aro. Must like maple to smoke this.
Savinelli Cavendish - a bit more tobacco flavor than your average Aro. I like this on the dry side in a wide bowl. Honey and sugar flavor.
"Crossover" Aros:
Peterson University Flake - plum. Very nice blend. I like this best aged and on the dry side. Solid backbone.
GL Pease Barbary Coast - cube cut burley with Virginia and Perique. Brandy flavoring.
Pipeworks & Wilke No.5 - my favorite light English aromatic.
Two Friends English Chocolate - just like the name says. Outstanding. And I'm not usually one for chocolate.
Erinmore Flake - citrus, with a good tobacco base.

Status
Not open for further replies.