PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tjameson

Lifer
Jun 16, 2012
So I'm going to strip the stain off my Nosewarmer tonight. Its been recommended I use isopropyl alcohol, but I'm wondering can I use Wild Turkey 101 I know it seems a waste but I can't stand drinking it even in mixed drinks. Any downsides to using it as a stripper and bowl cleaner in one? Will it stain the bowl or leave a taste?

Jul 15, 2011
I would think that any type of alcohol that is that high in alcohol content would do the job, though I can't speak from personal experience. Don't know if it will stain the bowl, though it might leave a slight taste for the first few smokes, although I really doubt the taste will be unpleasant. I used to clean out my pipes with Bacardi and always liked the first few smokes of a pipe that had that slight rum flavor in it, though your mileage may vary on that one. Good luck in any case.

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
Don't forget the before and after pics. I'm really curious to see what the Wild Turkey does when used as a stripping agent.

tjameson

Lifer
Jun 16, 2012
Haha thanks Top D....gonna finish the bottle off now to get that image thoroughly washed out of my mind :nana:

tjameson

Lifer
Jun 16, 2012
Ok screw it the pipe was $20 it's a great smoker anyways and I'm all about patina being natural and it can't taste any worse than stripping with rubbing alcohol. So here goes nothing...pics to come!

mjtannen

Can't Leave
Jan 3, 2011
TopD:
"When I strip down and rub down in Wild Turkey, my wife says it does ghost a bit, but,

according to her, yummie....."
You are DA MAN in da house. No pics necessary....

tjameson

Lifer
Jun 16, 2012
So word to the wise...don't use wild turkey as a stripping agent for pipes only for Marines like Top D and women you actually want to see strip. It didn't take any finish off after being left overnight just made some of the grain swell a little from what I can tell. Will use Nsfisher's method tonight or go buy a bottle of isopropyl alcohol.

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
Ya know, I've never refinished a brier, but have done lots of furniture. I use Formbys Wood Care products. The

paint and stain remover will take off just about any kind of paint or stain, and will not harm the wood or

patina. I've refinished 100 year old stuff that looked wonderful, and the patina that took years to form was never

touched.
http://www.bigpaintstore.com/brands-formby-s-surface-prep-paint---coatings-removers.html
or
http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=formby%27s+furniture+cleaner&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=3775450725&hvpos=1t3&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=972329311720215956&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&ref=pd_sl_9m191xkxki_b

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Dolla Dolla Billz yall

Dollars.jpg
Dollars.jpg
Dollars.jpg

1111.jpg

Oh wait we're talking bout pipes? My bad. :roll:

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
TopD, there is a significant difference between furniture and pipes. You put one in your mouth. The other products may leave an undesireable residue. I would stick with alcohol strippers or steel wool.
Winton

tjameson

Lifer
Jun 16, 2012
I do have steel wool an plan on getting micro mesh anyways for restores. Hmm I'll see what I can do tonight

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
No No.... I'm not talking about immersing the pipe or licking the outside of the bowl either. Cork the

bowl and shank.... Use some good common sense.

You have to check out the Formbys to see what it is... It's not your run of the mill 'paint stripper', but

formulated to remove stain from a baby's bottom if you wanted to and not damage a thing. I have used it on

100 year old wooden mixing bowls... for food products and such.

Why would you want to remove wood from your pipe? I would think again before using an abrasive like sand

paper or steel wool. If it has a couple of dints you want to get out, raise the wood back, don't sand it.

Put a wet washcloth over the dent and heat it with an iron or heat gun. The steam will raise the dent back

up. The dent is just compressed wood. Now if it's 'missing' wood like a scratch, it wont work.

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
Look guys, I have no interest in this product, I just feel that if your putting something on a pipe, and

then have to apply a lot of elbow grease, your using the wrong stuff. The liquid I suggested is wipe on,

whip it a little and wipe off, stain is gone.

I can't see sanding when no sanding is needed.

tjameson

Lifer
Jun 16, 2012
I get what Your saying Top D and it sounds like exactly what I need. Storient 100 proof alcohol did nothing to strip the finish. I will try something different tonight and see if I can get it stripped without using abrasives.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
You can use a high proof alchohol or isopropyl. I use the more expensive Everclear for soaking the bowl with sea salt. But I use 90 proof Isopropyl for soaking the finish off a bowl for restaining. I read somewhere not to use Formby's for briar pipes, but don't recall the exact source. The isopropyl works so well and is so cheap, I never bothered looking for an alternative.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Here's a place I bookmarked because someone said that's where they get their micro mesh pads.
http://ptreeusa.com/microMesh.htm
Looks like #310 at the bottom of the page is the best deal to me without going overboard.
Is there a better place online for the stuff? $20 for all the pads you'll need for a few years seem to be a hell fo a deal.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
That Peachtree price is pretty good (2 sets for $20). I prefer the 3" x 6" sheets vs the pads, but sometimes you need both.
From Rockler, the 3 x 6 sheets are $4.19/each. You also have to watch shipping, Rockler is a little steep. I used Amazon the last time around and just price shopped with shipping.
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=6461&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=&utm_content=pla&utm_campaign=PLA&gclid=CMvo6NThubECFYeo4AodFEMAgA

Status
Not open for further replies.