"Strike anywhere" matches disappearing in your area too?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nativeson

Might Stick Around
Sep 24, 2010
Here in S.W. Florida, wooden "strike anywhere" matches are going the way of the do-do; disappearing from grocery and hardware shelves really fast. All that's available are "strike on box" wooden matches. Don't know about you fellows, but I like the sporty look of strike'in one on the heel of my shoe or (to impress the girls) flicking it to fire with my thum nail! But seriously here, apparently this is yet another irritating "Nany State" issue; with strike anywhere being "too dangerous" according to the store manager I questioned about this matter. Hope this isn't happening everywhere else, but how about it? Whats happening in your home town?

nemrod

Can't Leave
Apr 28, 2011
Sweden
I have never, in my whole life, seen a strike-anywhere match. Then again, I live in Sweden, where safety matches were invented.

gecko13

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 2, 2011
Goodyear,AZ
Some over zealous safety nut probably decided somebody might hurt themselves. Most likely the same folks that want to out law having points on knives. There are some pretty cool things you can do with those kitchen matches though..... :twisted:

yoru

Jan 5, 2011
Never seen one in my life either. . .all they sell anywhere in the DFW is "green lights" which are supposed to be environmentally friendly

maduroman

May 15, 2010
here in kalifornia they are selling green lights strike anywhere...
check @ places that sell bbq stuff.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Yeah, they aren't available here, either. I've kept an eye out for them, though...
-Jason

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Here's a place that sells them in kitchen size..BUT ther's a $26.00 HazMat charge. Unfreakin' believable! How does that make any sense?
http://www.emergencyresources.com/er_p11.html

viceroy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 22, 2010
either states or the US government is restricting them. if you can find them you'd better stock up

collindow

Jul 15, 2010
Portland, OR
Wow...ridiculous to think that strike anywhere matches are essentially illegal in a lot of places! I remember when I was young my father always had strike anywheres, which he would light his cigars with.

jimbo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2010
I can still find the Diamond Kitchen-size Strike Anywhere matches. I would hate it if they became unavailable because they are my main mode of pipe lighting indoors. (I have several vintage "cafe style" match striker/holders around the house I always keep filled and use.)

echopipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 7, 2011
Funny because I haven't been able to find them for months..read they were banded. But just yesterday I found them at SMART and FINAL. They were the green ones. So check smart and final.

Status
Not open for further replies.