PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
I have back problems and am likely going in for my 9th surgery this next month. I've been gazing longingly at these recliners for a very long time. They are seriously expensive chairs however. Anybody else with back troubles own one of these things? Is it really worth the price? They just look so fine, as though sitting in one would make the world melt away. Brilliant advertising!

framitz

Can't Leave
Oct 25, 2013
Nate I have two one for my wife and a large one for myself with a footrest with extra ring to raise

I have broken both hips and the chair is comfortable but low and can be hard to get out of for me

I am 6. 2 plus and weigh 240. Right now I am confined to hospital bed and wheel chair and Ann Arbor is far from Alabama. Good luck shel

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I also have back issues, after 37 years in the restaurant business. They sure look comfortable. A regular Lazy-Boy type recliner leaves an area of no support in the middle of my back. I've sat in those kind of chairs in furniture stores (not sure the brand name), they are comfy.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Oh damn, I'm so sorry to hear that!!! How did you break two hips?! That must be Brutal! I assume they told you as I was told, no smoking?

framitz

Can't Leave
Oct 25, 2013
Nate I have been smoking since I was 16 and am77. I have broken each hip twice over a 40 yr period and have pins but no replacement also a few other bones and looking at your X-rays I think you hurt more I am not allowed to stand. The doc says if I stand I falli break. Shel

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Always thrilled to chat with a fellow member of The Bad Luck club! We should start a support group for Suffering Smokers. Of course, we'd meet at smoking friendly homes or businesses while an ambulance remains on standby. BYOM (bring your own meds)

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Al, i owned a large coffee house/Bar/music venue before my back went nuclear. We opened at 5am and closed at 2am daily. Being on your feet for restaurant hours is BRUTAL. I feel your pain! That's the problem with most recliners and plush ones are the worst! I HATE the idea of spending that much cash, but I also hate not having a good chair. Seeing as I sit most of the time and am sponsored by Social Security, profession seating might required. You had surgery yet?

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
My wife's late grandparents had these chairs and they're great. The only thing, is that you should try them out, extensively, and in person, before buying -- backs are so idiosyncratic, and what might be comfortable for 2 minutes might be really uncomfortable after a longer period of time. You also have to be sure you get the size that's right for you -- they come in several different sizes for each model (or they used to).

cossackjack

Lifer
Oct 31, 2014
Evergreen, Colorado
Old sports injuries prompted me to purchase a Balans Tripos back chair in 1985. It has been one of my best investments. That design has been superceded by the Gravity Balans which has a 4th position, "zero gravity" reclined (mine only has 3 positions):

http://www.ergodepot.com/Gravity_Balans_by_Varier_p/v233.harm

http://www.thehumansolution.com/varier-gravity-balans-recliner.html
Since it also leans forward into a semi-kneeling position, it can be used as a task chair at a desk. The design allows for easy ingress & egress, unlike some back chairs. The back support is outstanding.
If there is a local dealer I suggest extensively testing this & any other chair. If there are no local dealers, then you are welcome to come & "test recline" my chair.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
The old man had a genuine Eames he bought back late '50s. The only thing he ever splurged on for himself. A steelworker he would arrive home freshly showered at 5pm everyday. Supper and whatever honey do' s then he would jump in that chair drink martinis and chain smoke Lucky Strikes. (Lived on his own until he died at 91). Kind of reminded me of a bargain basement Don Draper.

jmatt

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 25, 2014
I've seen your back pics Nate. Ugg. I don't have any hardware.....yet. But I'm on pain meds 24/7 and in need of hardware sometime soon. Here's how I joined the club:

Avalanchecrash005a.jpg

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Ouch!! That looks like it sucked! What happened exactly? What level(s)? Are you facing a fusion or implants? I wish I could tell you it isn't that bad, alas I can not :( always sorry to hear it when someone else is looking down that barrel. I was about six months post-fusion when I had this accident. Mine wasn't nearly as bad and shockingly it caused no further damage. While I won't say I was lucky, cause I am not, it was a surprise things weren't made far worse.

jmatt

Aug 25, 2014
@jmatt: Yikes! Rollover?

Hit by a Suburban going 60mph-ish who ran a two-way stop sign. Hit was directly to my driver's side door. Rolled 6 complete times per witnesses. By the time we came to rest upside down the roof over me was lower than the steering wheel. I was extracted through the sunroof, which was actually down, but there was space because we were in a drainage ditch. We always felt like surviving alone was a miracle (wife was in passenger seat), such that we celebrate another year of life each anniversary of the event.
Today it's all in the attitude. I'm not dead. Everything from there is a bonus. :puffpipe:

gtrhtr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 2, 2016
Damn, you guys are a mess (says the retired paratrooper w/ 90% disability).
Nate, I would certainly try them out first and I'd recommend being totally honest with the sales person and get an extended trial period to test it out at home. Nothing worse than buying a bed and finding out after I can barely get out of it in the morning. Try it in the store and if you think it will work, offer to buy it contingent on it working for you at home and then just tell them about your back and that you cannot afford to get this wrong. My guess is that they'll at least give you a few days.

indianafrank

Oct 15, 2014
Damn. Sorry to hear about you guys and the bad backs. OUCH!!! Now my back hurts just reading this stuff.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Yeah some of us live in bodies of men twice our actual age. It's a real drag.
Unfortunately, these chairs are custom made. You pick from tons of fabric and leather, wood types/colors. I can't imagine they allow returns, but I'll CERTAINLY ask.

Status
Not open for further replies.