PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

indianafrank

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 15, 2014
My granddaughter was 4 years old last year and then we had her for a week, at which time I began to teach her how to play poker. For money of course!
My wife and I had her for a week this year, and just brought her back to daddy in VA.

So granddaughter is unpacking a few of her things and says to my son.
“Look at these dice daddy. Grandpa showed me how to shoot street craps. Wanna see how?”
My son's reply. “You’re not gonna hang out with grandpa anymore.”
I say street smarts is a good thing. Along with book smarts a person becomes a well rounded individual.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
I'm with you Frank, had my Grandson last summer, he's 10, his Grandmother is a hair dresser, got her to give him a Mohawk which he thought was cool beyond belief. Gave him his own Cob, of course no tobbaco. Took him to Evangeline Downs horse track, showed him how to place a bet, hey he won a little money betting on Cool Horse names. He learned how to drive my big tractor, piss off the porch, hitting the cat. These are things young men need to know. He goes to Catholic School and Daughter was not impressed with Mohawk and his betting abilities , so he got a Buzz cut to go to school. Didn't have him this summer, I"m wondering why. :puffy:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
A little "trouble" under supervision prepares us for the trouble we will surely encounter when we go out on our own. I would guess that few if any of the gunmen in criminal shoot-ups learned firearms from their dads. Once Dad has supervised you, he's always there, even when he's gone. And he don't want no crapping around. The grandkids will appreciate these skills and insights. They'll know when to decline when someone wants to "teach" them a new game of poker. And you rarely hit more than one race at the track, so keep enough for train fare home.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
My brother and his wife tried scolding me and my wife for taking my nephew to Hooter's. He was 11yrs old and loved it. They also don't like my parents :(. We don't get to see the kids anymore.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
voorhees, oh, big mistake on their part. The benefit of extended family is to step outside the immediate family circle and get a wider perspective. Maybe they'll come around when they see the kids a'roving on their own.

indianafrank

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 15, 2014
+1 Cajun
Jason, I know how that goes. But it's my in-laws that don't like me. WHICH IS A GOOD THING!!! :lol:
sjmiller
I taught my nephew how to play poker when he was a kid. It proved to be a useful talent. That's how he made money while he was in high school.
I used to gather the guys together during school hours in HS. Then we'd go to the mensroom to shoot craps, or play poker. That was back in the day when kids actually carried pocket money for school lunches.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
When I was a teenager , Mom let me use the car to go to Mass, she went at the crack of dawn, Dad was out shrimping. I would leave for Mass, go shoot pool, pass and get the pamphlets in back of Church. Fast Forward 30 yrs, Mom said I know you were at the Pool Hall, I said who pimped on me, she laughed and said ( The chalk dust on your jeans told me ). Youth is wasted on the Youth. :laughat:

jerwynn

Lifer
Dec 7, 2011
It was my beloved grandmother who taught me to play poker at age 5 and how to perfectly mix her martinis for her at age 10. She was very particular about her martini's... fill glass with gin, waft of fumes of vermouth only, lemon zest, and "crinkled" ice on the side... of which she floated an occasional chip on the drink. She was nearly totally deaf but could read lips so that you could hardly tell... my sister and I swore she could read them in mirrors or reflections when you were facing away from her. She loved laughing, and partying, cards, travel, and hanging out with her loved ones. We loved it when she came to baby-sit us... mom and dad would head out or off and Gramma would turn off her hearing aid and say "Have at it"... and we'd crank all noise makers up to max and exhaust ourselves in it (things that normally were NEVER allowed when my father was home) whilst she calmly and contentedly read a book. She grew up in Billings, Montana when it was still pretty much wild west... I don't know for sure if she could shoot, but I'd bet in a pinch, it would have been no problem. She's been gone a long time now... miss her still... and I'm an old man. :puffy:

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
I say street smarts is a good thing.
Totally agree, sir.
I am not a grandpa yet but my own grandfather was playing Durak (Russian card game) with me all the time. While playing he was talking about II World War, how the army managed to enter Poland and how he got shot, etc. All of those were some kind of stories for me and years later when Russian government scanned all the war documents and uploaded them to the internet, I searched for my grandfather. All of those stories were real according to the papers and he was shot few times once. He was also giving me lots of information about our ancestors and he made me to memorize the names of my grand grand fathers. Rest In Peace Grandpa, I still miss you.

crusader

Can't Leave
Aug 18, 2014
Nebraska
Both of my grandfathers were of the "proper English" sort. Well liked in the small town they were from. Straight laced and of a gentlemanly sort.

My paternal grandfather taught me more of his actions than of his words , God and country along with community. While lately I have been rather ashamed of our people running our country my love of God was installed by him along with honesty above all else, even if be to my detriment.
I miss him greatly!

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
My buddy's little boy was learning to talk and his favorite toy was a small toy truck. Well he would constantly refer to it as his "Uck", so me being the stand-up uncle type would say "FFFF" then hold up the toy and he would say "Uck"...... This went on for a few week until my buddy's wife told me that the first time he says the whole thing she's beating me with a frying pan...... I smiled and said "Worth it!"

Status
Not open for further replies.