PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
I'm just curious if anyone has jarred some up and stored it for a year or more. I ordered four ounces last year, and I had just a little bit left over. I smoked some the other day, and it did not taste nearly as good, and was pretty dry. I probably didn't screw the lid on the jar tight, or had some tobacco stuck in the seal, and the jar dried out on me.
Anyhow, I intend to order order some today, and I'm just wondering if anyone has had good luck jarring Sleepy Hollow and keeping it over time. It's so heavily cased / topped that I have my doubts that it would be nearly as good next year.

Civil War

Lifer
Mar 6, 2018
I just smoked some the other day that has been jarred for over a year. Tasted great, no noticeable loss of flavor. If anything, mine happens to be a bit too moist, can't seem to dry the stuff out.

deleon

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 7, 2011
Texas
Same Here, I have a mason jar full of Sleepy Hollow from last year and it's still moist. I keep all my tobacco jars in a closed cabinet away from sunlight also that helps.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
I went ahead and ordered some more. Just kept it to four ounces. I only smoke aromatics occasionally, so that should leave me some left over for next year.
Last year, the Sleepy Hollow was so wet that I dried it out a bit, and it was great. However, I think this is what may have caused some of the loss in flavor. This year I'll avoid drying it all out. It's an aro after all. That's just how they are.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
They always smoked better after drying to me, SH included. Glad they made it again. After talking with them last year about the FDA issues, they weren't sure if they would be making it again.

drrock

Oct 20, 2011
Minnesota
I picked up some Sleepy Hollow in November 2017 & jarred some to resample later. Tried it again this week and it's as good as I remember from before.
I jar my tobaccos by packing 2 oz. in half-pint wide mouth Mason-type jars and when the jar is half full transfer the tobacco to the 4 oz. "jelly jars". Even most aromatics tend to stay really fresh for a fairly long period of time.

smittyd

Feb 7, 2018
Pennsylvania
How do you order from them? I went to their web site but there was not much there. Do you have to call in?

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Just placed my order for some as well. All sold out at the moment, as I knew they would be, but I should be getting it within the next couple of weeks.
Just in case it wasn't mentioned anywhere else, they do have a 4 oz. minimum purchase, but that did come fairly cheap for 4 ounces, in my opinion. I think it came in around $25 for the order. Was considering having them toss in a Riders Revenge cigar for $9.20, but maybe next time. I'll already have plenty of Sleepy Hollow to smoke. Can't wait for it to get here. Should be here in plenty of time for Halloween! Pumkin' carvin' will never smell the same again. :puffy:

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
I have 24 ounces left from 8/24 of last year. Still moist but have not smoked any since last fall.

I just moved into our new house with a dedicated cellar so I will get some pics up this weekend. Got a smoking room also and just pulled a jar of it out earlier today.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
A four ounce bag of Sleepy Hollow arrived in the mail yesterday. I smoked a bowl last night, and it was fantastic, just as I remember. Mostly pumpkin spice and maybe some cinnamon. It tasted like Fall. I then smoked a bowl of the leftover ounce or so from last year, for comparison, and it was again noticeably less flavorful. At one point, I was actually smoking both last year's blend and this year's blend simultaneously for direct comparison.
As mentioned above, I did intentionally dry out my order of Sleepy Hollow last year. I did not dry it in to nearly the same extent that I dry my non-aromatics. It still contained significant moisture, but less so than when I first acquired it. The result of my inadvertent experiment is either: (1) that Sleepy Hollow keeps its flavor over time better if you don't dry it out, OR (2) that Sleepy Hollow does not keep well at all, not even for a year, OR (3) some combination of (1) and (2). I suspect that option (1) is the main reason that year's new arrival is so much more enjoyable then the remnants of last year's order, as there is no reason at this point to believe that Sleepy Hollow would keep or "age" worse than any other aromatic.
As for the bowl of this year's Sleepy Hollow that I smoked last night, I only dried it for maybe 20 minutes. I smoked it in a cob, and packed it loose, and it burned great. I'm already looking forward to smoking more.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Now order some of Sutliff's Pumpkin Spice. Exept for a few minor fifferences, nearly identical.

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
Now order some of Sutliff's Pumpkin Spice. Except for a few minor differences, nearly identical.
+1. I haven't had SSH, but when I'm in the mood for an aromatic, it's almost always a half-and-half blend of Lane 1-Q and Sutliff Pumpkin Spice.
Pumpkin Spice is pretty goopy, by the way. I find it benefits from a little drying, but you have to gauge the sweet spot for yourself, lest you dry out all the flavor.

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
Trying to post from my phone but this is my year old batch. Taste has held up!

img_2184-600x450.jpg

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
I have internet finally, ugh...what a house move.
Here is my 14 month old stash. Still moist and needs drying time. Plenty of flavor still.
23.jpg

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
I smoked some Sleepy Hollow last night while it was cold and rainy outside. Really put me in the Halloween spirit! I'd have to say it's probably my favorite aromatic... unless you count Frog Morton Cellar as an aro.

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
It is one of the few things I have smoked recently that the War Department has stepped in and said "Now that actually smells good!".
I guess I will have to say something nice about her essential oils now :wink:

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
It is one of the few things I have smoked recently that the War Department has stepped in and said "Now that actually smells good!".
The War Department...hilarious :rofl:

Status
Not open for further replies.