PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

trucha

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 26, 2013
I just cracked a new 8oz tin of c and d Sunday picnic. The flakes have a whiteish coating on them. Plus there are some strange white strings in some of the flakes. I think they are plastic as they crumble when I touch them. I had this on backorder for awhile at p&c and they finally sent me some. The manufacture date steps on the bottom of the tin is 5/2014. I've smokes some and it tastes good. I also took a pic but I don't know how to upload it here.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
There is a sticky that explains how to load a photo to the forum posts. From your description maybe you should email a good picture to P&C and/or the C&D manufacturer.

trucha

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 26, 2013
Ok I emailed the pic to p and c and they are having me send it back. Thanks guys. Anyone else have ny problems with c and d?

hiplainsdrifter

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 8, 2012
I wonder if the 'whitish coating' is what some call bloom- it is sugar crystals forming on aging tobacco, especially flakes. It is good. Could also be mold, which would be bad. No idea on your white strings- paper mixed in?

toby67

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2014
Australia
I agree that it would be mould, the batch was only mid this year so not old enought for sugar crystals is it, wouldn't that take at least a year?

kaboom

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 12, 2012
I can't play the video with sound since i'm at work but...
an ELEVEN MINUTE video to showcase a tin with mold in it? WTF?

trucha

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 26, 2013
It doesn't look like the guys in the video. It could be the beginnings of that though. The stuff was made in May of 2014 and I just opened it just now. The whiteish strings I think is plastic not paper since it crumbles when I touch it. P and c is giving me a complete refund.

trucha

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 26, 2013
Kaboom, if that wasn't enough for you then there is a 10

Minute part 2 to that video.

minfarshaw

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 12, 2014
I was wondering about that same thing. I had some of that white stuff in my St. James Flake. I thought it was from the machine that presses that tobacco. This is not based on anything I learned about the process. It's kind of like six year old me looking out the window and waiting for the Care Bears to come.

hiplainsdrifter

Jan 8, 2012
I agree that it would be mould, the batch was only mid this year so not old enought for sugar crystals is it, wouldn't that take at least a year?
No, not necessarily. I have some 6 month old Stonehaven that is starting to look like rock candy. And it tastes even better.

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
It could be "Bath Salts" so if you feel the erg to eat a person's face, you will have your answer.

mephistopheles

Oct 14, 2014
Skip to 2:55 in the video to see the horror. 8O
Trucha, I hope they paid for the return shipping. That's only right.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
I have opened three tins of C&D in the last handfull of months that have small slivers of white paper or string in them. Honestly, I figured it was from the paper inserts. They aren't big, actually quite small. I bet there are a few still in my tin of Bow Legged Bear but I'm not sure if I can even get a picture of them.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
Yes, I should point out that the little flecks of paper or what have you were small enough to simply pick out and never affected my tobacco. Like I said, I figured they were from when the paper inserts get cut.

Briar Boy

(astrange1)
Apr 8, 2013
The "white strings" are shreds of the interior tin coating when they seal the tins little slivers of the interior coating come off and fall into the tobacco, I love smoking plastic don't you? I emailed C&D about it with no response.

planetary

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 4, 2012
SF Bay Area
kaboom said:

I can't play the video with sound since i'm at work but... an ELEVEN MINUTE video to showcase a tin with mold in it? WTF?
That's what I thought, too.
I once had a problem with some C&D tobacco, many years ago. I emailed the company address, got a prompt reply from old Craig Tarler noting that he was aware of a problem with a batch of that tobacco, and he shipped out a replacement, no questions asked.

chris

Lurker
Dec 15, 2014
The white flakes are little slivers of paper from the flake inserts. They are caused by the dye cutting of the inserts. We are working on solving this problem presently with our supplier.

Chris Tarler

Cornell and Diehl Tobacco

Status
Not open for further replies.