PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gamxiaoyuan

Might Stick Around
Sep 12, 2014
China
Because of breaking down of my briar,I smoke corn cobs these days.However, I smell a strange odour out of them.

It's like burning matches.

This happens when I smoke W.O. Larsen with Country Gentleman, don't know if it's gonna happen on other pipes with other tobacco.

Have you guys come across similar problem?

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Nope, unless half a lit match drops into the bowl as I'm lighting it. I just ordered a grab bag 'o seconds from Missouri Meerschaum! A MM cob pipe is the perfect American tobacco product.

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
I haven't had this issue, but I have a friend who has, very recently. He bought two Legends and tossed them after complaining of a bad smell and strange taste in one. Tommy put it down to glue from the shank-bowl joint spilling into the bowl and burning off.
Andy

smeigs

Lifer
Jun 26, 2012
I make corn cob pipes and the only smell I get sometimes is the smell of popcorn haha. I dont coat my cobs with anything so when they burn hot they have a bit of a popcorn smell. Adds some good flavor though.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
Newbroom how did the bag of seconds work out? I got 4 of the Missouri Pride cobs yesterday cause they're only 4 bucks. Also got 1 Country Gentleman. Smoking Lord Nelson in the CG now. Life is good.
I wish they had a B&M store, I live 25 miles from the place.
tinner

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
tinner,

I JUST ordered them, this a.m.!...have been wanting to for awhile. I read reviews that usually you get mostly Legends, a Gentleman or a Danish or Diplomat, usually one of those, and the rest either smaller cobs or you might get lucky. With the new models, I'm hoping for a Tom Sawyer.
mike

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Depending on how new the cobs are it could be the part of the stem that protrudes into the bowl burning away. I've never smelled it, but I know it happens because most of my favorite cobs have the stem burnt away inside the bowl. YMMV
-Jason

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Whether it's the heel burning down, a coating on the inside of the bowl or just the cob itself,

it will pass after it's broken in. Also, smoking the first several bowls deliberately slower

than your normal pace may help. It's the slow, low-heat smoldering that really coats a cob.

minfarshaw

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 12, 2014
Yeah I think cob guy is right. The smell goes away after 1 bowl. I think it is plaster.

jmsutton

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2014
Does the smell come when you get towards the bottom of the bowl? The only time I've ever had a smell like that was when I smoked it all the way to the bottom and the wooden stem got charred a bit.

gunslinger

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 12, 2014
I agree with the others who think it is the wooden stem charring at the bottom of the bowl. This is normal for a new MM cob and should go away after smoking to the bottom a few times. It should not be related to the tobacco you were smoking in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.