PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mipsld

Lurker
Apr 2, 2015
I purchased a GBD Bermuda bent Dublin, in pebble grain, recently.

It is only a month old and starting to develop cracks midway down the shank: one running with the shank and another perpendicular to it on the top of the shank near the bowl. The crack running with the shank does not seem to be expanding, but it is getting darker. The other crack is recent and seems to open when the pipe is warm. The shank itself is triangular.
Is there anything I can do to fix this?

I'm concerned about what this means for the future of my new pipe!
Thanks in advance for any advice!

fluffie666

Can't Leave
Apr 4, 2014
First, welcome to the forums and to the hobby.
Now, I am in no way an expert but I have some ideas and I'm up at 5:30am. So, my guess is that your new pipe may be getting to hot causing the briar to expand. Expanding is normal but if it's concentrated in a few areas you may be smoking it to hot. My advice is to slow down. Long and easy draws keeping the pipe cooler will allow it to expand at a more even rate so it doesn't develop cracks. Give it a rest for a day or two after each bowl. I keep the ashes in my pipes while I let them rest. I find that doing so allows for a better cake to develop in the bowl. You can also probably benefit from drying your tobacco before lighting up. I like mine on the crispy side because I belive the less moisture that gets into your pipe, the better it is for it.
Try that and let us know how you make out. Good luck and happy puffing!

mipsld

Lurker
Apr 2, 2015
Thanks!
I have tried to keep careful watch on this pipe's temperature. You're probably on the right track about letting it rest. I've been real eager to get the heel broken in and have been smoking this pipe often.
It's strange that it would be the shank, though. The bowl does like to get warm, but the shank stays pretty cool.

Do you think it might have something to do with moisture, that I might need to let it dry properly

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
Cracks in the shank are never a good thing ! The shank shouldn't be getting hot enough to crack, it seems to me there's some other issue here. The crack may have been in the block and is only showing itself now that it's being smoked.

I'm assuming the pipe was unsmoked until you got it ?

Pics would help, but honestly it's probably a pretty bad sign for the pipes future ! Then again, you may smoke it 40 years and not have any bigger issue.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Methinks Lonestar has the truth of it. You mention that the shape is a Dublin. It's a more problematic shape because the wall thickness can vary greatly between the rim and the point where the bowl turns into the shank, especially if the chamber is cylindrical and not tapered. Your bowl could feel pleasantly warm at the rim, and be a raging furnace at that juncture. If there was any significant hidden flaw in the wood at that part of the pipe, it's going to fail sooner or later. That issue is why I steer clear of Dublins.

mipsld

Lurker
Apr 2, 2015
I'll post pictures as soon as I can. The inside of the bowl is tapered. I'm starting to suspect that the cracks were pre-existing and probably hidden by the finish.
Is this something to which I can apply a fix? Right now, the cracks are hairline and the pipe is airtight.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Assuming this is a new pipe, unsmoked before, it's time to go back to the retailer and/or the pipe's maker. Most pipes go for decades or a lifetime without this kind of problem. This is more the kind of thing that happened to pipes when smokers only had one pipe they smoked daily, all-day, and after two or three years or more, so this is likely a materials flaw. You may or may not get an exchange for a new pipe. If not, don't go back to this retailer. GDB is usually an excellent pipe, so I think you drew the short straw on this one. I wish you better luck. There are currently some excellent pipes on offer here on Forums, so take a look at those.

mipsld

Lurker
Apr 2, 2015
photo-2-1-112x150.jpg

photo-4-150x112.jpg

This is my attempt at getting pictures up. I hope this works.

If my post goes as planned, the darker lines on the shank are the concern.
I have contacted the retailer, and I will hesitate before purchasing a pipe from them again. They offered nothing but to remind me that they do not accept returns on smoked pipes. They reminded me of this even after I already stated that I was well aware of it.

I will very likely get in touch with the manufacturer, but I'm not very optimistic.
Thanks for the info, everybody. I already enjoy the community here and look forward to posting about my more positive pipe experiences.
-cheers!
EDIT: Wow! those pictures are tiny! If anyone can give me some advice about re-sizing, I'd be a happier man.

Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.