Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

markus

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 18, 2014
Bloomfield, IN
When I first started smoking a pipe (3 or 4 years ago, it seems longer), it was with an old Dr. Grabow that I inherited from my grandfather and some cheap OTC aro's, smoking way to fast, getting way to much tongue burn and not nearly enough flavor.

Then I joined this forum and progressed to some aro's that I ordered online and new Stanwell pipe.

I began reading on this forum a lot, slowly learning more everyday and adjusting my smoking habits, slowing down my cadence, drying my tobacco and I actually started tasting the tobacco flavors.

From there I went through an English and Latakia phase, only to move through that and on to VaPer's, where I stayed for a while (I still enjoy smoking VaPer's).

By this time, I'm starting to acquire a pretty good stable of pipes and a decent size cellar of tobacco.

I then got into VaBur's and VaBurPer's, and then I started a love affair with DFK, which eventually led me right back to aro's somehow, even the cheap OTC blends that I started smoking in the beginning.

So it seems I have come full circle and now I tend to smoke a little bit of everything and I have learned to enjoy all of it, and I now have enough tobacco and pipes to smoke whatever takes my fancy at the moment, and satisfy whatever phase I happen to momentarily be in.

I love this hobby/habit, whatever it is, and have stuck with it longer than I ever thought I would have.

I think at this point that I will likely always smoke a pipe to some degree or other, because I enjoy it that much.

What a strange and wonderous journey it has been, thank you all for your part in it!

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

Pipe smoking is a journey for all that start and stick with it. Thanks for sharing yours. My journey has been one filled with learning, from others and much from trial and error. I now stick to my six straight (primarily billiard) pipes and Virginia tobaccos, smoking one or two bowls most evenings while laying on the couch. :puffy:

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Glad you have enjoyed the journey and that you love pipe smoking! Hope you'll stick around.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
It's a great journey to be on. I smoke a little bit of everything(Except Lakeland) depending on my whim.

I've quit most clubs that I belong to, for one reason or another, but my pipe club... we are like family. Founding on a ritual like smoking is a tighter bond than what most clubs or organizations offer, and we can explore new blends and take our families out to different things together. I wholeheartedly recommend pipe clubs. I wish that I could do more pipe shows, but I don't have the luxury of jet-setting across the country to spend more money on pipes. I miss the New Orleans show. I wish someone would pick that torch up again. If I lived closer, I would do it. But, it would be hard to organize one from 200 miles away.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Cosmic I've always wanted to join a pipe club. I would go to the NYC meeting but my train options to get home at night are slim and it ends up being a local that takes 2 fricking hours. I would go to the Hudson Valley pipe club meetings but it's on a week night and starts before I even get home.
When I get the hell out of NY I need to take the availability of a good pipe club into the consideration for possible locations. I'll just be sure not to tell my wife that's why we are living there. ha ha

brightleaf

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 4, 2017
Nice post markthelad. You make a well stocked cellar sound like sound like a well stocked pantry. You can satisfy any particular tobacco appetite, or have a seven course pipe meal.

jndyer

Lifer
Jul 1, 2012
Central Oregon
Great post Markthelad. I enjoy reading about others evolution through the journey of pipe smoking. I believe the reason I enjoy it so much is due to the fact that you are getting a glimpse into the passion of a fellow brother of the leaf.

Status
Not open for further replies.