PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jazz

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 17, 2014
UK
I was just looking in a thread when someone mentioned a Medico Magnet Top. Having never heard of one I decided to look it up on the "Google's". A curious idea indeed and got me wondering what other oddities of innovation in the pipe world are there? I would love to see some pics of these creations and get any info on them.
So if you know of some strangeness that seems as though it appeared from another pipe dimension then post away chaps and chapettes.

I have been kicking around the idea of making a tiny steam powered engine to set on top of the bowl, that runs off of the heat of the burning tobacco. ...maybe to power a small LED light, or to just spin and whistle as I smoke. As a metalsmith, I like tinkering with tiny novel stuff like that. But, then again, I hope my work doesn't slow down to the point where I have time to actually make something like that, ha ha.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Haven't smoked this yet, but the airway is "interesting."
_57-7-600x450.jpg

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I've seen some odd items on the outside of pipes, usually in the form of a wind cap of some sort. But I find most quirky pipe features are on the inside, like different types of stingers, filters etc. The most puzzling to me is the one on this old Italian pipe I recently bought. It has a spiral black plastic part that screws into the shank, that has one hole in the side of it. The stem, which is made from horn with an aluminum tenon pushes into the black part. The pipe is a straight pipe with an oval bowl, and seems to have a small reservoir drilled in under the draw hole. I guess it's some kind of system pipe meant to keep moisture from coming up the stem. It smokes fine, but the draw is a little constricted by the odd components of the system.

I'm sure there's other weird stuff out there, but like you say it's all interesting, and welcome to the forums, an interesting place to spend too much time! :roll:
img_00043-600x340.jpg

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
Ken pipes are quirky, though not as strange as some of the pipes others have shared here. http://pipedia.org/wiki/KEN

jazz

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 17, 2014
UK
Fascinating, so far exactly the sort of thing I was hoping to see. That radiator pipe is quite preposterous. At least in the looks department. I get enough funny looks down the pub with my pipes as it is without something like that hanging from my mouth :laughat: .
Interesting to see where the line of balance between aesthetics and practicality for the perfect smoke is for some designs. With that radiator one I can't help thinking that aesthetics was the last thing on the mind of the designer :D

Status
Not open for further replies.