PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 14, 2012
I got a Dunhill County Zulu several days ago. What is strange about it is that although I have smoked it first thing every morning since it arrived, it does not have that moist, slightly foul taste of an oversmoked pipe. Normally I rest a pipe at least 4 days between smokes. This one does not need it. Am expecting a County prince today. Am hoping for the same exceptional performance from it. The County series has the best tasting sandblasts I have tried from Dunhill or elsewhere. Far better than the bitter tasting black shells or Cumberlands. I have not tried the redbark, rubybark or tan shells.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
That is interesting. I hardly ever smoke my briars back to back. I do have a Dunhill Shell, but it gets smoked about once a month, but its a great smoke. Maybe because its 87 years old.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Nice to hit gold with a pipe, and it doesn't hurt that it's a zulu ... and a Dunhill. That's what's always supposed

to happen.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
I have a newer County and I agree it does smoke well and clean tasting. I smoke Latakia blends from my Shells and they seem to like that style much more than VAs.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
foggy, you do realize you are committing blasphemy by smoking it every day even though it is performing well. When I break in a new pipe, I go every other day for a while. I would never tempt the pipe Gods by going everyday. Why not give it a rest, it is not like you don't have another couple hundred Dunhills to smoke. lol

Aug 14, 2012
Since I have moved to Woodstock I only have about 20 pipes here for now. They are rather oversmoked. So I will continue to smoke the Zulu daily until it starts to taste bad. Am smoking it now. Great little pipe. Will post pictures of my Zulus when I get a camera up here. Harris: What are the names of the pipe gods so that I may properly make burnt offerings to them?

boudreaux

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2013
Foggy, from what I remember reading about your doc's advice to you about cutting back, maybe you'd better make burnt offerings to him. :P
Nice to hear that you're enjoying the peaceful surroundings of Woodstock with some good smoking pipes. Used to fly fish for trout up there a lot and always enjoyed the artsy-craftsy atmosphere of the village, although last time up, I could see that it was drifting to a more "commercial interest" setting.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
I'm with Peck; Harris is anal. We love him anyway.
I have about 2-3 pipes in my rotation that I smoke every day of the week. I have another half dozen that get smoked four or five times a week. If you do the pipe cleaner trick after ever smoke and twist a paper towel down into the bowl after every smoke, then you can smoke multiple bowls a day in a good quality pipe with no problem. Been doing it for decades.
Having said the above, a good 24 or 48 hour rest between smokes probably ensures an absolutely dry pipe unless you either have a crummy, poorly cured hunk of wood, or you drool like a baby.
Best,
Pipetud

Status
Not open for further replies.