PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxpeters

Can't Leave
Jan 4, 2010
I recently received 2 ropes of Strang tobacco from Herbert Motzek in Germany. It was very damp when I received it, so I let it dry out for 3 days before I cut it up and rubbed it out. Still seemed a little too moist, so I let it dry for another day.

This evening I filled a pipe with this stuff that I had read so many wonderful reviews about, and Dang! Strang? You're kidding me right? Tasted more like poontang! Old poontang at that! With a dose of pepper! Bletchhh!

All those folks who reviewed this stuff so glowingly must be insane! Damn! Never tasted such a blend before. I know taste is really an individual thing, but man!, can mine be that off?

I went through half the bowl, making ugly squinched up faces the whole time, before dumping the rest out. I think I would rather gargle with Mixture No. 79 juice, that try this stuff again! Holy Crap!

Before anyone says send the rest to me, I will keep it a while and let it dry out a LOT more, before trying it again.

This has not been a good smoking experience for me. Maybe my taste buds woke up on the wrong side of the bed today, or I just don't get it. In any case, I hope this stuff did not ghost my pipe. I am going to stuff this crap into the far reaches of my tobacco chest, and hope that one day it will magically improve.

skraps

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2015
Stop putting poontang in your pipe... maybe the Strang will taste better.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
As a moderator, I often have to restrain myself to preserve decorum on the forums....but when a guy named maxpeters complains about a tobacco that tastes like old poontang I almost spit up my wine...

fordm60

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 19, 2014
Zach, my good man, that was perfect LOL!! Signed in just say that. Knee slapper!!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Thank you! I had not considered the irony. And that in itself might be ironic.
So far, I've not experienced any tobacco that's in any way like poontang, young, old or in-between. But I keep hoping.....

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
The dry time and cut are fairly important with Strang and I find that cube-cut and dried completely is best for me.
Also ... it seems to really like a round shape such as Apple or Diplomat.
You'll never have trouble unloading it if you don't care for it though! :puffy:

maxpeters

Can't Leave
Jan 4, 2010
LOL. Yep. You guys who like this stuff have more hair on your chest than me. I concede that. Or absolutely no sense of taste.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Max: all that spinach in your pipe has ruined your taste buds!!! :rofl:

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Never had it myself. Mass opinion is often wrong, but it's unclear that this is mass opinion. In either case, it's unlikely for something to be that far from what it is reported as. If anything, mass opinion favors junk food: sweet, salty, slightly spicy and fatty. My guess is that (1) it's time to try a different pipe (2) try drying and (3) make sure your palate is cleared. Body chemistry can really make a mess. Also, you may have just found the people who are your "180 degree" indicators: whatever they like, avoid; whatever they hate, seek.

Jan 8, 2013
I for one would like to try a blend that tastes like poontang. I wish they would make pointing breathe mints and air fresheners as well, while we're on the subject.

maxpeters

Can't Leave
Jan 4, 2010
In all fairness, I must apologize to Herr Motzek. Unfortunately Motzek's Strang was the first blend of the day that I smoked before writing my post. Since, I have smoked a couple of my regular blends, and they also tasted like hell.

I must have come down with a cold or something, as my sense of taste is all over the place. Just goes to show why I shouldn't do tobacco reviews. I will take back my opinion of Strang until whatever caused this condition goes away. A lot of you had fun with this post, but Herbert Motzek deserves more credit than this. If you had intentions of trying this blend, and were dissuaded by this silly commentary, please give it a try. Most seem to think it's pretty good.

Status
Not open for further replies.