PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
I know this topic may be battered to death over time, but I've been searching through the forums and I still can't decide on what to purchase.
I'm looking to try some straight Virginias of mild to medium strength; I'm not looking for anything remotely resembling a strong smoke, "medium plus" is too much.
I want pure Virginias so I can decide if I like them and whether or not it's worth buying a small supply to age.
From what I've read, everyone says McClelland makes some of the best VAs. Which ones? They have too damn many for me to narrow it down past one. (Blackwoods)
Based on tobaccoreviews.com, I'm going to buy Hamborger Veermaster on my next order and eventually MC Blackwoods Flake to cellar due to its high number of positive reviews.
What would you guys suggest for a mild to medium straight Virginia? I could use a few suggestions because I'm looking to try a few different blends.
PS (Can you explain whether they are sweet/fruity or grassy/hay-like? I've seen those flavour differences come up online, are they accurate for different VAs?)
Thanks, I know my posts can be convoluted sometimes.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
1. G. L. Pease Union Square (a little fruity, tiny bit of sweet, and more tangy)

http://pipesmagazine.com/blog/pipe-tobacco-reviews/gl-pease-union-square-pipe-tobacco-review/
2. Orlik Golden Sliced (more hay-like, in a good way.)
3. Mac Baren Virginia Flake (natural sweet Virginia flavor, with maybe just tiny hints of vanilla)
4. Cornell & Diehl Manhattan Afternoon (slightly sweet, a fruity sweetness)

http://pipesmagazine.com/blog/pipe-tobacco-reviews/cornell-diehl-manhattan-afternoon-tobacco-review/
5. Nat Sherman #580 - Liberty Golden Virginia (very mild, sweet vanilla)

http://natsherman.com/product.cfm?CFID=106512&productid=800

hessenland

Might Stick Around
Jan 31, 2011
Moscow, ID
McClelland Virginia No 27 is imho a great all-vriginia smoke with a lot of depth as far as flavor goes, yet a medium strength.

I always feel that it adds color and depth to a virginia, if it has leafs that a cured in different ways and are balanced nicely in the mixture.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
Thank you for the suggestions, Kevin.
Union Square seems to be almost universally acclaimed, I'm definitely going to pick that one up soon. I'm glad to hear you think it is mild, the reviews I saw also indicated that it could be a bit stronger. If there is that kind of variability, I'll take a chance for the sake of the good tobacco.
Orlik Golden Sliced was off my radar but I like all the descriptions I've since read. Since it is so inexpensive I will probably pick up at least a 50g tin. As it is also economical I may consider the MacBaren, but I don't want something cased too much. (I haven't had anything MacBaren so I can't judge for myself, just basing it off other opinions. I will explore them in a future order when I get my TAD list whittled down!)
I will have to decide between Manhattan Afternoon and another C&D product I've since learned about, Opening Night. From what I've seen both seem to be good examples of their respective styles.
The final one, Nat Sherman, isn't available to me. Thanks all the same!

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
Hessenland,
Thanks for narrowing the McClellands down for me a bit! The Virginia No. 27 does sound good and I'm going to read up on it a little more this evening. The medium strength and balanced profile fit the bill exactly; I'm trying to discover good VA, simple as that.
I appreciate your recommendation.

cwlinsj

Lurker
Jan 31, 2011
I'd like to suggest Peter Stokkebye's Luxury Twist Flake. An all VA flake that just improves with age.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
Lawrence,
My only gripe with Hal O' The Wynd is the claims of high strength and nicotine content. I might pick up a tin to save for a rainy day all the same. Maybe I will one day adjust and find such blends enjoyable. Is the perique noticeable in HotW to you? I've read it has a small amount.
Cwlinsj,

Thanks for the recommendation. I've heard nothing but good about that PS Luxury line. If 4noggins gets them back in stock I will check some of them out.

menckenite

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 21, 2010
Alabama
sparroa, like you I did my fair share of reading many reviews about Virginias and Virginia Flakes. I got my hands on several one of which was McClelland’s Personal Reserve: Blackwoods Flake because of the many glowing reveiws. I could not wait to open my tin and partake after letting it age for over 7 months. I learned before Blackwoods that there are many varieties of Virginias but it just emphesized it even more. Add to the numerous varieties, the various ways in which they are cured, combined with one another (or not), aged, (or not), cut (or not), and cased (to what degree and with what), I can easily see how classification could get very complicated. And this is just on what’s called “straight Virginias” (I bet there are arguments over what that means). :lol:

I will not attempt to simplify Virginias in a comprehensive classification system because I don’t have enough knowledge or experience. However, at this point, my tastes are guiding me towards lighter, golden, hay like Virginias compared to those like Blackwoods Flake.
It sounds like you’re off to a good start with some good suggestions. I’d like to suggest choosing some Virginias with a variety in type and cure methods. For example, get a blend with a light air cured Virginia and get another blend with dark Virginia that has been fire cured.
I hope you enjoy your Virginia journey and share your experience with the rest of us.
You’ve inspired me to do some homework on Virginia tobacco in general.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
There is an amazing diversity in Virginia tobaccos, to be sure. It will take time to sample a variety and learn what I like. I ordered McClelland 5100 and Hamborger Veermaster today; I am going to contemplate my other Virginia selections over the next two weeks as I wait for that package to arrive. I am strongly considering Union Square, Orlik's Golden Slices, C&D Opening Night, Blackwoods Flake and perhaps more McClelland of some kind, maybe No. 27. Red Rapparee and Esoterica Dunbar are also on my wishlist of different styles composed mostly of Virginia. What I think of 5100 and HV will determine my future direction, along with any suggestions I may receive. (As far as VaPers go I am leaning towards ordering at least eight tins of Escudo in the next few months)
I will never smoke these tobaccos anytime soon - at most I will sample and jar several. There lies my interest in Virginia tobacco; the premise that it benefits from aging suits me perfectly, as I already have more tobacco than I could smoke in a number of years at my current rate. I somewhat regret the 3 or 4 aromatics I purchased because I have no burning desire to consume them right away. With VAs, my slow rate of smoking seem like an advantage. Therefore I'm very interested in stowing away some quality blends while I can - I fear what may happen to our beloved methods of online retailing. In the meantime, I'm enjoying the research and shopping that my tiny tobacco cellar requires!
Thanks for your encouragement, William. I'm thankful for your advice, too. As you sample specific blends, let me know your opinion - drop me a line any time!

Status
Not open for further replies.