PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawk60ce

Lifer
Jun 11, 2012
Anyone do it old school? Use a straight razor or even a double edge razor? Use a brush and bowl to mix your lather in? any others out there? Im just getting into the hobby but love it. will never look back!

mp31guitar

Lifer
Jun 28, 2011
I use a double edge and a brush with a bowl of soap. I bought the razor on ebay about four years ago and I love it. The razors are cheap too. I get ten for about $1.50

piperl12

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2012
Hey Hawk do you shave your head with your straight razor? I have been thinking about going that route but I shave my head and don't want to have to use one razor for my face and another for my head. I heard that the old razors will help you get the angle right and make the transition easier. Sure been thinking about it sounds like you are futher along the learning curve.

mp31guitar

Lifer
Jun 28, 2011
I would love to shave with a staight razor but I suffer from shaking. I don't know why I shake. Sometimes the guys at work will ask me why my hands are shaking. I think it's genetic. So, I'd probably slit my throat.

msandoval858

Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
Wet shaving is actually one of my other acquisition disorders.
I have a huge collection of brushes, razors, etc. I shave with a straight almost every day. The double edge is great when I need something quicker.

Jul 15, 2011
Just switched to the DE razor a few months ago and I love it. I dont use a bowl to make my lather; rather, i dabble some cream on my brush and lather directly to my face. I use Astra SP blades almost exclusively and I love the shave they give me. Much closer and a lot less irritation than my old cartridge blades.

wayneteipen

Can't Leave
May 7, 2012
I switched to straight razor and mug and brush shaving a couple years ago and will never go back. I use a DOVO Bismarck and Colonel Conks Bay Rum. I love that I don't have to buy blades anymore and I get a better, closer shave than ever before.

hawk60ce

Lifer
Jun 11, 2012
@novelist- i have heard great things about the razors you mentioned. I just ordered a kit and will use the razors that come with the DE and i also ordered a straight razor too. the irritation is a big reason for my switch!
@msandavol- glad to see you still have your head!! thats why i ordered both. sometimes i need a quicker shave but want a straight for when i have time
@josh- i will PM you the site i used to get started
@piperl12- I dont shave my head. cant see why you couldnt tho? I will PM you a couple sites to look at. its what made me make the switch
@mp31- I love the idea of being cheaper as i go through blades quickly on my fusion and they suck!

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
Hawk it is only cheaper if you stick to the same gear! You may have trouble with that...
It takes restraint. I love to try a wide variety of soaps, creams, aftershaves etc. I've only got one Vulfix best badger brush and a Merkur DE though. I like to keep the hardware simple and then splurge on the rest.
I'll probably try my hand at the straight razor one of those days, but for now I am content with the double edge razor.
There is a lot of technique involved so I am happy with taking it slow for the time being.
Tabac shave soap is my favourite, though, and I love bay rum aftershaves.
I'm using Feather blades lately; so far they are my favourite. They have a reputation for being the sharpest blades out there.
I used to use Astra SP but I like the Feathers better; they offer cleaner and closer shaves. Both are superior to Derbys IMO. I used to think I was doing a terrible job because I had a lot of irritation but as soon as I tried another blade from my sampler pack I had most problems solved...
(The worst thing about Astras is the damn glue residue. I run my new blade under hot water to soften the glue and then I use my old blade to scrape it off. They are very good value, though)
Switching to DE turned a hated chore into a much loved pastime. Prior to that, I had already given up on Mach 3 and was just using an electric trimmer to keep the brush cut to a manageable level...

garyovich

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 22, 2012
I've been thinking about making this change as well. Interesting that so many people are doing so. I've found several websites I've been looking at. What are the favorite sites for you guys? Where do you order your gear from?

aaronbrill

Might Stick Around
Sep 28, 2012
Same here...I'm so sick of wasting money on blades for my Fusion that last for 2 or 3 shaves. I just ordered a Merkur razor to try out. I'd be tempted to go straight razor, but I shave my head these days and I don't know if I trust myself that much 8O

hawk60ce

Lifer
Jun 11, 2012
I'll post some links here. Hope thats ok.
Wiki:

http://straightrazorplace.com/srpwiki/index.php/Straight_Razor_Place_Wiki
Forum:

Straightrazorplace.com
Shopping:

Straightrazordesigns.com

grizzly86

Apr 5, 2012
I have been using a DE for about 2 months now and I'm loving it.
I butchered my face my first shave....msandoval858 has a great site that helped me out a ton.

Shaving101
My problem is I have a thick, fast growing beard, but very sensitive skin. I'm still trying to find that perfect blade, but so far 7am has worked the best for me.

ulrich

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 25, 2012
Toronto
I switched to a straight razor about three years ago. Granted I was shaving regularly then. I have a beard now but still use it to do my throat and cheeks. I don't think I'll ever go back to disposable blades.

Jul 15, 2011
Badger & Blade is another big forum.
I post on Badger and Blade under the same name and same avatar pic that I post on here. Brewshooter also recently joined up with the Badger and Blade gents. Its a great place to hang out and the forum is so large that you can find almost anything related to not only shaving but general grooming, mens fashion, and they even have a tobacco board for pipe and cigar smokers.

gnatjulio

Lifer
Mar 22, 2012
New York
Good topic. I seriously considered the straight blade for about the past year(again because of youtube links). So much so that I put a few razors on my ebay watch list. Never considered the double edge though. Might just have to look back into it.

Status
Not open for further replies.