PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
I used a safety razor for a long time, but my doctor told me to stop for various reasons, so now I use a mach 3 with my good shave soap.
Still love my safety razor

standardgewehr

Might Stick Around
Feb 2, 2011
6/8 Henckel's Friodur when I'm in the mood and motivated to strop, Classic Shaving "Cobra Classic" (safety razor that used Feather professional disposable straight razor blades) when not.

maineyachtie

Can't Leave
Aug 14, 2010
I'd love to try straight razor. I knew a man who had done it for years, he always said he would never go back to safety razors. Why is it so preferable?

pufferissimo

Might Stick Around
Jan 20, 2012
As a knife enthusiast, I just felt in love with the feel and the unbelievable sharpness of a straight razor during one of my routine haircut back in 2008. It gave me unparalleled smoothness and close shave ever.
But having to require lots of peripherals and maintenance, I didn't use it anymore.

Would love to return shaving with it if I had the time.

standardgewehr

Might Stick Around
Feb 2, 2011
Straights are to shaving like pipes are to smoking. History, tradition, results not otherwise attainable, something that was commonplace for our forefathers but an uncommon art today. And all the wonderful accoutrements and paraphernalia... Plus when you're done, you don't throw away the blade, it's a prized possession. The learning curve is worth it, yet it is steep... And both pipe and straight can bite if used carelessly by newbie or old salt alike. Straights, at their best, give an uncommonly close and comfy shave without irritation.
Beware, both pipes and straights can result in myriad forms of "acquisition disorder". 8O

jaysin

Lifer
Feb 8, 2012
Indiana
@maineyachtie I get bad brakeouts on my neck if I use anything other than a straight razor. And one gets a closer smoother shave as they are way sharper then safty/disposeable razors.

deithial

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 9, 2012
Safety Razors, I have a full beard but I do shave my head. Nothing compares to it closeness. I refuse to use a straight razor, just to much BS to put up with (stops, honing...)
A Happy Safety Razored Head:
429776_407008892649932_100000224746060_1744187_92236007_n.jpg

mattmars

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 13, 2011
I use a straight razor. 5/8 Engstrom Frameback. I don't mind all of the prep that goes into having a great shave. I also don't think that the learning curve is all that steep. If I were to ever stop using a straight, I would definitely go to a safety and continue to use my brush/soap.

jameral

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 29, 2011
San Mateo
my daily routine is a Merkur Razor with Israeli Personna blades

Same here. I started shaving with a DE razor after reading a similar thread here awhile ago. I'll never go back to a cartridge razor.

havanarick

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2012
Texas
"The art of Manliness".I use at least three of these, Cannot beat it for a close shave!

['img]
IMG_0013.jpg
['/img]

chops

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 26, 2011
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
For everyday I use a Mach3. Never used a straight, but always wanted to try. I had a nice shave at a barber once with one, hot towel and all. Best shave yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.