Straight Latakia

(10 posts)
  • Started 4 months ago by Panhandler
  • Latest reply from balkisobrains
  1. rdavid

Panhandler

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Been following a few threads discussing the possibility of a latakia shortage looming on the horizon so I would like to squirrel away a few pounds.

First, I’ve heard latakia can loose its flavor/aroma if cellared too long so that is a concern. I’m thinking 10 years or so.

Second, I’m up for recommendations on which bulk brands to consider. C&D bulk latakia gets very good ratings and there is a decent sale right now.

Thanks

"May my last breath be drawn through a pipe, and exhaled in a jest." Charles Lamb
    Posted 4 months ago #
  2. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I had a highly reputable Lat blend in which the Lat lost almost all its flavor. I don't know if it was something about the batch, or if had aged more than I knew. I added condiments that made it smokeable, but I've never had Lat fade from view like that.

Posted 4 months ago #
  3. rdavid

Panhandler

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hey mso thanks.

Yeah, that’s what I’m afraid of. I’m pretty much interested in a straight or blending type latakia and C&D seems to be the highest rated bulk.

Really hoping I can put some away if the rumors are true but don’t want to invest if it’s going to fade on me after a few years.

Posted 4 months ago #
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

jitterbugdude

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've had about 5 pounds of shredded Latakia stored in mason jars for about 5 years. I threw in an
    oxygen absorber in each one. Can't tell if its helped or not as I have not used any. If you have a supply of Nitrogen you could also flush your container with it. I've done that too but have not opened any containers. The way I look at it, most things age because of oxygen. Keep oxygen away and aging is greatly slowed down.

You can buy Whole Leaf Latakia from Whole Leaf Tobacco

Posted 4 months ago #
  5. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Jitter, is the whole leaf latakia imported? Just curious because I know some have been experimenting with homegrown latakia.

Michael
    Posted 4 months ago #
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

jitterbugdude

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yup..Imported. I think the owner buys it by the 250 pound bale!

Posted 4 months ago #
  7. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks! Only one 250lbs bale at a time? Sheesh, that really limits my opportunities.

Posted 4 months ago #
  8. jvnshr

jvnshr

Mod

Login to Send PM

I remember smoking McClelland PCCA Winter (1995-1996) and Levin Pipes Klenderwood (1993) in 2015. Both came with 20+ years of age and Latakia didn't lose its flavor/aroma in neither of them. Link to the original thread.

Javan
    Posted 4 months ago #
  9. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have never experienced a bad aged latakia blend. But, it has been recently that this has been a "thing" on the forum. I don't notice it "diminishing," but sometimes it is easier just to let people say stuff that goes 100% against my own experiences than to try to question someone else's taste buds. And, 99.9% of the time this is said by someone who doesn't even like latakia blends. Besides... that means less people setting back blends that I think are delicious.

But, if people want to believe that latakia blends diminish in time, that burley doesn't age, and aromatics all suck after a few years... then it really doesn't bother me to have so many people misinformed. My own experiences say differently, and what?,,, like I want more people hoarding away more blends? Ha ha.

Posted 4 months ago #
  10. balkisobrains

balkisobrains

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I bought more of these after trying all the straight & whole-leaf stuff, nothing else seemed as good to me.

Posted 4 months ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   sasquatch, tuold, paulfg, jaytex969, catyrpelius, cshubhra, sumusfumus, georged, agnosticpipe, cortezattic, pitchfork, malicev, railman, jerrynyc, jiminks