PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

redpanda

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 11, 2015
Hi everybody and Happy 2016 ! I have a question. So far I have found I really like the taste of Latakia, be it Syrian or Cyprian, and I have been smoking mostly the Dunhill stuff as it is the easiest to get around here. However, some of the other components used in those blends like 965, SM or EMP really do not do it for me. I don't know whether it is the cavendish in the 965 and whatever it is sooo sweet in EMP but it really turns me off.The only dunhill blend I have found to not contain anything that bothers me is NC, but that does not work as an allday smoke very well. So, I wonder, is it ok to smoke straight latakia ? Does anyone do it ?

Or do I have to try and create my own mix, in which case I would have no clue where to start.Thanks !

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
I've smoked it straight and didn't care for it ... not horrible, just lacking.
Lancer's Slices sounds like something you may want to try which is just Virginia and Latakia ... great stuff!
As for blending ... just get the components you like and start trying small batches. It's really not too hard and pretty fun!
McClelland #5100 in bulk is a great Virginia to blend with, by the way, if you want to go that route.
Good luck and let us know what you try! :puffy:

Jan 8, 2013
The easy way to create your own mix (and quite fun actually) is to try this... http://www.pipesandcigars.com/pipe-tobacco/my-own-blend/ The only down side is you have to make at least 8oz. But I've found it worth it. Just set up an account with them if you don't already have one, so you can save your blends for easy future purchases. Any time I want to repurchase any of my blends, all I have to do is log in, go to my account page and pick one of my blends. It's quite fun, you get to name your blend, and they offer a few tips on each tobacco and how well it blends with others. I've had pretty good luck with mine.

Mar 1, 2014
I've tried straight Latakia twice, it's pretty bland. You get the smell and some salt but most of the interesting flavours come from other varieties. Lots of interesting stuff, check out the McClelland Grand Orientals series.

hierophant

Lifer
Jul 27, 2014
If you want to try a blend that is nearly straight Latakia, give Pirate Kake a try. It's 70-75% Latakia, but not too heavy on the nicotine so should serve as an all day smoke if you love Lat that much.

Reactions: HectorF

glpease

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 17, 2010
California
Straight latakia isn't bland, though most will experience as such because it will quickly overwhelm your palate. Anything over about 60% will occlude almost anything it's blended with. It's powerful stuff that way. The "latakianess" of a blend will depend a lot on what is blended with it. Orientals tend to enhance the campfire characteristics, while virginias tend to bring out its sweetness. It can be quite chameleon-like in nature, just as perique can be. The best thing? Try it! You might like it straight, you might not, but don't expect that more will be perceived exactly as more, if you catch my drift.

stvalentine

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2015
Northern Germany
I did it and it´s quite easy on my palate as I found out. On the other hand I find it more interesting to blend it with other tobaccos. My Mac Baren Scottish Mixture (vintage) was still biting, so I blended it with 40% Latakia. Much better now. Blending it with Virgina is another idea that works out quite fine. I have about ten tins of blending Latakia here and try out other blends every now and then. It´s fun and you may have guessed - I love that stuff! :lol:

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
EMP states it has sweet orientals, but upon looking at a tin online as I only have the bulk, it states there's a delicate flavoring added

003-021-0017.jpg

Some other blends to consider would be C&D's star of the east which has 50% latakia along with the pirate kake

Captain earles 10 russians.

Dan tobacco Old Ironsides
I think it's probably certain orientals being used as Nightcap has orientals in it.
Also many Gl. Pease blends you should try.
Also there's at least 3 site sponsers that ship international if getting variety is a problem.

brudnod

Aug 26, 2013
Great Falls, VA
I mix Lane MV-1000 (pure Virginia) with 100% Cyprian Latakia that I got a few years ago. Depending on my mood it is mixed Virginia 3, Latakia 1 or Virginia 4, Latakia 1. I ONCE tried all Latakia and was singularly impressed at how unidimensional it was.

Reactions: HectorF

tinsel

Oct 23, 2015
I've smoked straight latakia a few times. It's not terrible, just kinda boring and as Mr. Pease pointed out it overwhelms your palette pretty quickly and then it just tastes dull.
There's nothing wrong with smoking it straight if you want. If you like it, great. Don't let anyone tell you that you are doing it wrong. However, I doubt you will find it very satisfying in the long run.

redpanda

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 11, 2015
Lots of great advise. I only wish all the blends suggested were available here.. I have 2 tins of Germains Special Latakia Flake on the way. I am really curious how that will be since this Penzance is absolutely impossible to get a hold of.

stvalentine

Jan 13, 2015
Northern Germany
I have 2 tins of Germains Special Latakia Flake on the way. I am really curious how that will be since this Penzance is absolutely impossible to get a hold of.
Although I have never tried Pensance I can say that Germains Special Latakia is a fantastic tobacco, when you´re into Latakia. I have tried several similar blends and my favourite is now Dan Tobaccos Old Ironsides.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
You could keep some blending Latakia on hand, which you could try straight, but also you could add to other blends, including blends that already contain some Lat. That way, you could readily tune up the Lat content with any blend you like, or smoke it "neat." You can also try the seemingly infinite number of Lat blends that swamp the market -- Gaslight is a well-loved Lat forward blend from G.L. Pease, but the list goes on, over the horizon you might say.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Actually Germains special latakia flake is just as revered as Penzance, you could probably easily do a trade tin for tin.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Actually Germains special latakia flake is just as revered as Penzance, you could probably easily do a trade tin for tin.

Status
Not open for further replies.