PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

reap

Might Stick Around
Feb 7, 2013
Hi all,
I remember reading that someone here enjoys straight cigar leaf. I've ordered some blending cigar leaf from 4noggins (bulk: blending tobacco: cigar leaf: Sweet, shredded, Pennsylvania Maduro leaf for blending). Just wondering if anyone has tired this.
On a side note has anyone tried the virginia flake blending tobacco from 4noggins?
Thanks in advance.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
I'm probably the straight cigar leaf guy you're refering to, otherwise there's another one lurking about.
I find it to be an excellent spice when added to a boring blend, but I do smoke it straight as well. Deal is, it's good quality tobacco at a very accessible price.
I just picked up a pound last week for less than $8, and that's quite a bit of smoke for the price.
Now for the reason: I live in Mexico, which means I have all the leaf and cigars I want for a steal, but pipe tobacco is scarce.
I decided long before I started smoking a pipe that I wanted to smoke quality tobacco and discover the true flavor of the leaf, so I went straight for the cigar leaf rather than picking up a pouch of overpriced OTC aro.
I've managed to get some proper blends now but my favorite blend of all is equal parts of Exclusiv Royal, Irish Oak and Cigar Leaf. I just smoked a bowl a short while ago and it was spectacular. Thirty-three percent cigar leaf is quite high, but I love my in house blend.
I just read about a recipe by woodsroad that included 10% cigar leaf, and that's probably more reasonable.
Congrats on your purchase and happy smoking!

novicemaker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 12, 2014
i didnt even know this was any option, that would be great. thanks for the idea. the search is on for me. :puffpipe:

novicemaker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 12, 2014
so im looking on the sponsor sites and only found one so far that has cigar leaf and its a dud page with no items. any ideas where i can look online...
holy smokes batman, looked on 4noggins and found it and its $34 for a pound.

reap

Might Stick Around
Feb 7, 2013
Thanks for the reply Dottie, you are indeed the person I was thinking of. Obviously we will be smoking different stuff but it's worth a shot. If it's tasty I'll update.

Jul 12, 2011
Straight Cigar Leaf...by any other name.... A Cigar :rofl:
I like C&D's Billy Budd which has come cigar leaf in the blend, but stick to a nice cigar for pure leaf myself

reap

Might Stick Around
Feb 7, 2013
Those of who can't afford cigars have to make due with what we can stick in a pipe. Cigar prices are outrageous in the great white north. I just thought I'd give it a go.

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
I would love to try cigar leaf in a pipe, as I love cigars. In addition to Cornell and Diehl's Billy Budd, I believe G. L. Pease Key Largo has some cigar leaf in it.

novicemaker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 12, 2014
i like what i have smoked in the real cigars, most of the cheap stuff like white owl and so on are horrid by comparison. But what i think makes them so good is the different blends that go into them. I have tried only one type of pipe and 2 kinds of pipe tobacco and while pleasant in there own right i have to say i like cigars more. i am getting back into the pipe smoking aspect because i dont do anything half assed and feel i need to dig into a nice pipe/baccy and get the fullest picture possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.