PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 8, 2013
Early last week I was working on a rather dull paper for college when my wife asked me to run to the store. As I was walking to my truck I decided to take a peek in the mail, and sure enough there was a box of rather large STP samples from Dan (woodsroad). I decided that, based on other reviews, I wanted to give War Horse a shot first. In retrospect, this was probably a bad idea, I wound up smoking about 6 bowls of it before I even considered trying the others.
This one is an addiction folks. Steer clear. Send all known remaining samples to me for immediate disposal.
Seriously though, what can I say here that hasn't been said already? This stuff is fantastic! The smell in the bag is mild, slightly sweet, and very pleasant. The moisture level in perfect, you could throw it straight into a pipe. I prefer to let mine dry just a touch more, but I tend to like everything crispy. The flavor is phenomenal, the dark fired is distinguishable, but not predominant. The burley keeps things smooth and the Virginias bring just a touch of tanginess. The topping is mild, and seems to do more for keeping the blend consistent than anything else. The nicotine level is great, not quite enough to generate hiccups, but enough to not leave me fiending for a cigarette right away either. No bite, no foul souring as the bowl gets near it's end, and for me, no way in hell I am going without this stuff ever again. This is a blend I could smoke all day any day right here. I can see why it is constantly called an "everyman's tobacco". I fear my desert island choice has changed gents.
Dan, Simon, Russ, and everyone else who had a hand in this resurrection, you have my gratitude. Fantastic work right here.

docspipe

Might Stick Around
Dec 12, 2014
A really fine smoking experience. I've been a fan of Irish Flake since its release and enjoy a robust smoke, and what little I've been able to find referencing Irish tobacco blending practices, I find this topic very old-world. Upon opening the tin and taking a deep whiff, I get the smell of a freshly opened box of Del Monte's Dried Apricots. I don't get any anise as some have found. The cut was dry to the touch, but just right for packing and smoking. It took to the light very readily and smoked clean and dry to the heel. It reminded me very much of Erinmore Flake, but way better than Erinmore. I read an interview a while back where a long time Murray blender said the flavoring for Erinmore Flake was that of prune and apricot. I don't get the prune here, but I do get the apricot. I found the Erinmore to be a bit cloying, and although once a favorite, no longer is so. I smoke EF on rare occasion these days since I grew tired of the taste and found it nipped at my tongue a bit too much. War Horse is a different breed entirely. It has the strength of IrF and a very nice earhy, but sweet, fullness while smoking. I've never been a big fan of Perique, but I do detect its presence here and find it a very agreeable addition to the mix while adding a touch of spice to the tongue. Sweet all the way to the end, but not in a confectioner's way. The sweetness coupled with the earthiness is a combination I've not experienced before and find that I like it very much. An all around great smoking experience with a pleasant room note to boot. Thanks again to the folks at ST of Pa and Russ Ouelette for such a marvelous tobacco. I can't wait for the plug version to be released.

docspipe

Might Stick Around
Dec 12, 2014
Yes woodsroad, both Warhorse and Bengal Slices are the tinned versions, newly purchased.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
War Horse Ready Cut does not have a floral essence. War Horse Bar will have a very light floral component. On top of kick ass dark fired and air cured!

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I have smoked quite a bit of the original War Horse Bar in the last 2 years, but keep in mind that it went out of production in the late 70's or early 80's. So what I'm smoking is a bit vintage at this point. The floral component in what I have smoked is very well balanced in the blend. You don't notice it up front as much as on exhale and in the room note. So, yes, it's muted. Not at all like a Lakeland such as Ennerdale, where you feel like you've been run over by a perfume truck. Rather, it's a compliment to the rich and robust leaf. Not unlike Condor, but less so.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Hmmm. Just finished my first bowl of this in a Neerup stubby rhodesian. Got nothing more than a Prince Albert sort of taste, and could not detect any dark fired. More experimentation is required. Also got the strange chemical aftertaste that I got from Black House and White Knight. Going to play with drying time and different packing to see if things improve.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
ROUND 2
Okay, same pipe, same packing procedure. This time though, I blew warm breath through the pipe just until I could feel the humidity rising from the bowl with my palm. Eureka! Now what seemed like a monochromatic burley to me during round 1, reveals itself to be a very balaced set of flavors that are very well married. Sweet and nutty on the draw, with spicy earth and hay on the retrohale. Bravo, this one's a keeper. Just a bit dry for my taste straight out of the tin.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I find a little hydration really works for this blend, just as you have.

Status
Not open for further replies.