Story Of A Pipe's Personal History

(7 posts)
  • Started 12 months ago by shanez
  • Latest reply from Bill Nichols
  1. shanez

shanez

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I recently purchased a Courrieu Cogolin vintage vest pocket pipe (I thought it was a little unique compared to some of the other vest pocket pipes I see for sale) for only $42. Today I received an email from the gentleman from whom I purchased the pipe to let me know it had shipped and to give me the tracking number.

Very thankfully, I was supplied with the information that the seller (who is now 90 years old) was not a dealer and was selling me a pipe from his collection that he had actually purchased many years ago in Cogolin, a few miles from St. Tropez.

I emailed him back to let him know how grateful I was for the information and that I would take good care of his pipe although I'm sure I didn't do as adequate a job letting him know as I would like to have.

This pipe may not be elaborate or expensive but I'm absolutely honored to have a pipe of such provenance in my collection. It just really adds to the pipes character. I got lucky with this one.

Who knows, maybe decades from now the pipe and it's story will pass along to someone else and continue.

Now for the pics:

Posted 12 months ago #
  2. pepesdad1

pepesdad1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Not unique in style but in personal character. You are truly lucky.

Posted 12 months ago #
  3. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Excellent! And a fine history.

I received one in the mail, with the tenon snapped off. The pipe is quite vulnerable when in the "closed" or pocket mode. Just a fyi.

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 12 months ago #
  4. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Always nice to have a little back story on a pipe. I always imagine the life my pipes had before they got to me, some are 60 years old.

Posted 12 months ago #
  5. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

I always ask that question, when buying a pipe on Ebay, but I rarely get any information - so congratulations on getting your story!

I bought a pre-Republic Peterson 9BC via Ebay, I asked if the seller knew the history of the pipe. He had owned it for about 10 years, and bought it from the founder of the original Tinder Box in Santa Monica CA. That's as close as I've gotten to provenance.

Al

Posted 12 months ago #
  6. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It enriches the experience of owning pipes when I can know something about them. Many are shrouded in questions. House pipes are often particularly hard to track, even the makers. I guess the contemporary fix would be to have the pipes chipped so their history could be logged in from maker and then from owner to owner, if everyone would be so kind as to log in their chapter in the life of the pipe. What tales they could tell. That's a nifty version of this traditional design. For pocket pipes, my pick has always been a sturdy fairly thick shank and stem bent billiard or pot/tomato. My go-to carver, Jerry Perry, pulled one (a pot/tomato, short and thick) from under the counter at his booth at the State Fair, and it was sold at first sight. But the little folding pipes are a great version with somewhat the same purpose. Put it in your pocket and think no more about it, until you want a smoke. Bravo.

Posted 12 months ago #
  7. bnichols23

Bill Nichols

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Holy Cow, Al. Bought from Ed himself?? Wow, just wow. Now that's history....

Bill

Head Black Frigate keelhauler, boss powder monkey, & troublemaker 1st class.
    Posted 12 months ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   redglow, danimalia, philobeddoe, ajohnb, voorhees, ben88, creole, elbert, corncobguy, jhowell, alexnc, weezell, pianopuffer, haparnold, peregrinus, timelord, craig61a