PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipetrucker

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 13, 2010
Following the white rabbit
I delivered a fire truck down at Ft Stewart, GA on Wednesday. They needed me to pick up a military truck at Camp Lejeune on Thursday so I dead-headed up there so I could make the pick up on time.
I arrived at Camp Lejeune at 12:30 Tuesday afternoon, right on schedule. There were some really bad storms, including tornadoes, hammering the area so they called off the move for the day and we made plans to load it this morning, Friday. There is no truck stop around there so I got a cheap room for the night.
This morning I was on the base bright and early, ready to get the truck loaded and get rolling. The guys who were there to break down the show tent in which the truck was parked were, well, not as motivated as I was. I had to get a little testy with the foreman before things finally got going.
Once they had one end of the tent opened up I was able to drive the truck out and load it on my trailer. Piece of cake. Despite the delays I was loaded and rolling by 8:30 and had plenty of time to get the truck up to Quantico Marin Base this afternoon.
Well, that was until I rolled up to a stop light in Kinston, NC and the low air pressure warning alarm started making a lot of noise. Yep, sure enough, one glance at the air gauges showed me that the air pressure was almost down to the point of tripping the emergency brakes. As I was in traffic that would not be a good thing.
When the light changed I made my turn and found a wide spot on the shoulder of the road. I pulled onto the shoulder just as the emergency brakes popped. That was cutting it close.
I inspected the rig expecting to find a major air leak somewhere. Despite my careful inspection I could find no such leak. That was both good and bad. It was good that there weren't any broken air lines. It was bad because that left the air compressor itself and the most likely suspect.
I placed a call to our shop and he was able to locate a repair shop only a couple of miles away from me. Great. They called me a couple of minutes later to find out exactly where I was parked and said they would send a guy "right out there".
90 minutes later the guy shows up, pretty much does everything I had already done, decides it is most likely the compressor (I am pretty sure that is what I said over the phone), and that he can't fix it on the side of the road (duh).
He used the compressor on his service truck to fill my rig's air tanks. That would allow my brakes to release and give me enough air to have working brakes for a couple of miles or so. That would be enough to make it to their repair shop.
It was. barely.
I killed all afternoon hanging around there until they finally pulled the old compressor, made some calls and located a new one some 40 miles away, sent their parts runner after it, and installed it on my engine. The day was shot.
I called my contact at Quantico and he said he could meet me to take delivery of the truck on Saturday afternoon after his kid's soccer match. I said that'll work, and it was very nice of him to agree to do it on his day off.
It has been a very trying couple of days. I am now parked at a truck stop for the night. I had a nice steak dinner and now plan to do absolutely nothing but kick back, smoke a pipe, and relax. Tomorrow is another day.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Sounds like a long trying day. The good news is your pipe should be waiting for you when you get back to WI.

charlie

Might Stick Around
Apr 16, 2011
Louisiana, USA
Man, I've heard some pretty bad trucking stories from my dad from his days on the road, but that about takes the cake lol. Relax and enjoy your rest!

krgulick

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
What a day. The main thing is you are safe and in a good place. Hope the rest of the run works out for you.

htmn246

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 11, 2010
remember smoke slow enjoy. dont sweat the small stuf and it's all small stuf but the pipe

bubbadreier

Lifer
Jul 30, 2010
Norman, Oklahoma
If I remember right it means he drove the truck there with nothing on the trailer and/or he wasn't hauling anything else to the area he was headed. Was that a close enough definition Mason?

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
Dead-heading means driving the truck on acid while listening to Sugar Magnolia super loud, on repeat, for 11 hours straight.

:)

Okay, it actually just means hauling an empty trailer (no load).

Mason, I feel you on the air leak. Had the same thing happen to me in Bossier City last year. I noticed the guage just before the warning went off and started looking for a nice wide spot. Made it past two exits with no room for a truck, and finally figured out there wasn't going to be any picking and choosing. About half a mile after the buzzer went off, I grabbed the next exit. It didn't have room for a truck, so I was halfway in the exit ramp half in the ditch and didnt even make it down the ramp when the emergency brakes popped.

My problem was a crackhead mechanic that replaced a 3' section of airline under the truck with some old piece of hose he had laying around the shop. It fell over against the exhaust and burned clean in two.

Just remember, BS days like this is why they pay you the big bucks 8)

collindow

Jul 15, 2010
Portland, OR
Wait...you went and had dinner and nobody hit your truck!? From recent history, that seems pretty crazy!

I don't really know anything about big trucks but, if you lose air pressure for your brakes, it sounds like e-brakes just clump right down, regardless of what you're doing? That seems kind of...I don't know. I can see how it makes sense, but it also seems like it's begging a lot of problems, too.

collindow

Jul 15, 2010
Portland, OR
Well I would think it might be better to give the driver dominion over the ebrakes, as opposed to having the truck just shudder to a stop in the middle of an interstate, for example.

But, yes, I do agree that it is better to have the truck just stop than to wander off, without brakes entirely.

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
Arthur is 100% correct!

Theres also an extremely loud screeching buzzer that goes off to warn you when your air pressure is too low, before the brakes actually pop.

The air pressure actually holds the brakes open, so when the air pressure drops to nothing the brakes go to default (locked down)

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
Pipetrucker, I used to work in the data processing center of a truckline and my brother-in-law has been a big rig driver for over 20 years. Yes, a wasted day for repairs is a royal pain. But no one died. You have shared several stories about morons backing into your truck. Thanks for not telling stories about morons moving at 60-90 mph.

I admire truckers. They do hard dangerous work that is incredibly important to our economy. The hours are long and boring, with stattered moments of panic. Over the road is especially hard on those with families.

Thanks for giving us non-truckers a view into what your life is like.
Winton

pipetrucker

Sep 13, 2010
Following the white rabbit
Thanks, gents.
I delivered the military truck today, and even earned a twenty dollar tip. I checked into the Best Western and spent the tip in the bar.
Tomorrow I have to move up to Baltimore so I can pick up a military truck at the port there on Monday.
I really hate the port there, but such is the biz.

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
I'd tell you stay outta the TA, but you already know about Jessup.

Spent 4 days broke down in Jessup once.

There were two people stabbed and one beat and robbed, and a manhunt for a armed dude that pulled a gun and shot at some folks down the street.

This was after they put the fences up, which I understand "really helped clean the place up".

Status
Not open for further replies.