Storing tobacco what is best, how about ammo cans?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

24 Fresh Rossi Pipes
36 Fresh Nørding Pipes
36 Fresh Tsuge Pipes
48 Fresh Savinelli Pipes
120 Fresh Peterson Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

windriver33

Lurker
Jun 27, 2017
Greetings from Helmand, Afghanistan.
I'm relatively new to pipe smoking. Been dabbing in it since 2012 but now serious about it buying pipes, various tobacco's, etc. With regards to storing tobacco, I've jumped on various sites and forums and see that glass jars seem to be the best storage medium for pipe tobacco. I saw an article on this site from 2009 but was not able to make comments, though I'm a member now. My question is this. I am in Helmand, Afghanistan for a year working with the Marines here. It is very dry, and hot, over 100 degrees for almost two months now and we are still two months away to the hottest month. It has been 120+ several days in a row. Our rooms stay between 73-78 degrees due to the outside heat. Glass jars are not practical here even if I could have the wife send them to me. Ammo cans are in abundance, they are steel, have a rubber seal and provide a cool dark place in my room under the bed. I and and another new pipe smoker have looked and looked online and cannot find any comments as to whether using ammo cans for storing your tobacco is good at all or at least under these circumstances? I was using thick plastic containers to put my tobacco in like the thick walled protein powder containers that are also in abundance on a military base. In that case, I kept the tobacco in their original ziploc baggies and then in the plastic protein powder container with a lid. I've since switched to ammo cans and separated the Bourbon/Whiskey tobacco's from the rest of them. These cans have been cleaned out and re purposed for tobacco storage. So, given our environment, are ammo cans a good means for storing tobacco? No glass in these parts too easy to break in shipment, moving around etc. Thanks for any input.

cranseiron

Part of the Furniture Now
May 17, 2013
McHenry, MS
windriver, given your circumstances I think the ammo cans will do just fine. If your buying bulk tobaccos that come in plastic bags those will probably experience some drying, but as most tobaccos come from the manufacturer on the moist side a little drying won't hurt. Afghanistan is is probably very dry/arid in summer, yes? Just monitor the bagged tobacco and don't let it become crispy and brittle. As long as it remains pliable it'll be fine. If it does become crispy you can introduce a paper towel moistened with potable water in your can to increase the humidity just a bit. Experimentation may be in order. What is it the Marines say-- adapt and overcome? Or, is that Army? :) Best of luck on your deployment. Those isolated tours/assignments can be very trying and tedious. Piping and figuring out storage options are a constructive way to spend your time. Welcome to the forums and stay in touch.

Very Respectfully,

Eric

bonanzadriver

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2016
I'm with Cranse on this one. Ammo cans is what we used, back in the 80's when I was in the Navy, to keep our cigars and pipe tobacco safe.
As to it getting dried out. Just my personal opinion here, but I find that I can smoke pipe tobacco more on the "dried out" side than I can cigars. The pipe tobacco actually tastes better (to me anyway) when it's drier vs moister. Cigars, on the other hand, seem to disintegrate when they get dry.
In closing "wind", welcome to the forum & stay safe bud.

woopigpiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 24, 2017
Arkansas
I would imagine you've got the right idea. I think for long-term storage, like 5-10 years, the tight seal on the mason jars is hard to beat. But in your scenario I can't imagine a better option than those ammo boxes. Great to hear from you!

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I would expand upon Eric's idea and use a well soaked brick or half brick in place of the tissue to keep some humidity in your bullet box. Obviously you also need to keep it in the shade...perhaps under your bunk.
Welcome to the forum by the way :puffy:
Regards,
Jay.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Our government designed those ammo cans for extreme long term storage of ammo. The biggest enemy to stored ammo is also moisture.
I have opened and fired USGI ammo stored 40+ years in those cans. The brass was untarnished and all of the powder went BOOM.
I would not hesitate to store any moisture sensitive matter in them. Be sure to look over the rubber seal carefully. It's easy to miss any breaches on a well used can.
jay-roger.jpg

mig19

Might Stick Around
Feb 25, 2016
Here's mine. Inside lined with cedar. Stay safe over there Windriver33!

mig19

Might Stick Around
Feb 25, 2016
Here's mine. Inside lined with cedar. Stay safe over there Windriver33!
20170628_104155-600x450.jpg

20170628_104232-450x600.jpg

windriver33

Lurker
Jun 27, 2017
Hey guys,
Thanks for the replies and comments. It looks like I'm on the right track. Yes very, very dry here. I used two of my hydrometers for my cigars left them in my room for a day or two and it showed the relative humidity is 10-15% in the rooms. The ammo cans seem to be working well and yes they are stored under my bed so no light. The seal looks fine and the lid locks down tight so I think they will work. I'll monitor them to see if they dry out. It is so hard not to open the can time to time due to the great aroma it exudes upon opening. It really holds in the aroma's.
Hey Mig19 the Marine Chaplain here received a bunch of those same boxes you show for cigars for soldiers. Their brand new, and he has been discarding them when they are empty. I felt obligated to spare such a nice cedar lined ammo box from the dump so he gave one to me. I'm trying to haggle for another one. However, I've read on this site and others that the cedar will absorb the moisture right out of the tobacco and the tobacco could absorb the cedar into them so not sure if I should use it for tobacco? It does make for a great cigar humidor so I'm using it for that for now.
Lastly, we had a cool front come through yesterday. It only got to 107 degrees. Calling for 106 today so we will take it compared to what we've had in this God forsaken land!

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
I think the cedar lined one would work great. Wipe down the cedar with CLEAN (Distilled, if available) water, it will soak up a good amount. Then put your tobacco in. You may get some cedar notes migrating to the tobacco......... to me that's a good thing. In your environment- 100+ degrees and super-low humidity, I would even place a wet sponge inside too..... sounds like you are in a super dry environment........

mig19

Might Stick Around
Feb 25, 2016
Windriver, I must confess mine is used for my cigars too. If I get my hands on another one, I'll try my pipe tobaccos. I currently use wooden grenade crates for my pipe tobacco cellar. If you can get your hands on a couple of those...

Status
Not open for further replies.