PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ben88

Lifer
Jun 5, 2015
Quebec
How tightly it should be packed? Or kept loose?

As an example - I was able to fit a 1lb of PS Luxury Bullseye Flake into 1L jar with a bit of clearance between tobacco and the lid.

Is it too tight? Or I needed 2 1L jars for 1lb of PS English Oriental, would that be a bit too loose?

Thank you

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've never packed it down tight, but I'll be interested to hear more expert answers. I think it needs a little air to develop. I notice tinned tobacco is not packed tight.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Great question, one I was about to post myself. My guess is the jar should be filled as close to the top as possible, but no packing beyond how it first arrived.

wilson

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2013
There's plenty of air in there. I pack my mason jars pretty tight.

stephenw

Might Stick Around
Nov 14, 2014
WV
I have always packed the jars as tightly as possible. I have always heard that the good aging is anaerobic I figure the less oxygen in the jar at the start means the less oxygen that must be gotten rid of by the aerobic aging process. People have said that I am a liar by saying this, but I would pack 4 ounces of 2015 in a 4 ounce mason jar. It was packed very tightly, but after 10 years aging, the tobacco is sublime.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Makes sense. Wonder if it ever benefits from the very occasional "breathing" that some wines are subjected to. But once sealed in the jar, I wouldn't open till you're ready to smoke it, unless some studies have been done showing it benefits from a shot of oxygen every few years.

Mar 30, 2014
wv
I started a thread a while back on this very subject. There is some great info in the replies.
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/yes-another-mason-jar-question

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Go to a thrift store or antique store; for a couple of dollars you can get an old flat-bottomed potato masher that makes packing jars tightly a pretty easy chore. I need to get a new (old) one myself; due to a dog-related mishap, mine is out of comission and have been using the wooden butt-end of a drywall jab saw. Works, but not as safe as the masher!

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
I find it better to use smaller jars so that when it comes time to open one you have a more manageable amount. I rotate a lot of blends though so ymmv.

drezz01

Can't Leave
Dec 1, 2014
Posthuman Piper on Youtube has a great series on cellaring. Video #2 talks about containers, including mason jars, and the aerobic and anaerobic processes of aging tobacco.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
I too am a fan of using the smaller jars. I usually don't put more than 2 ounces at a time in a jar unless there is just a little bit left over then in the jar it goes. :puffy:

Mar 30, 2014
wv
I mostly use half pint masons and they're perfect for 2oz.
And Steve is right, you can fit 1/4 pound into a half pint. I jarred up many 8oz. portions into 2 half pints.
(Still haven't tried the dashboard tin experiment yet)

maxx

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 10, 2015
What about crumble cake formed tobacco? Do you break it down or what? Many of the C&D blends I've been smoking are in that form.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
@Maxx-Classic Burley Kake is the only exception to my "pack it as tight as you can" rule. To avoid ruining the beautiful texture of that stuff, I pack it slightly firm, but not hard enough to crush it. I am convinced that the texture helps make it smoke as well as it does, so I try to preserve that.

Status
Not open for further replies.