PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaq6q

Might Stick Around
Jul 5, 2015
Hello gents! :D
I was wondering how/where should I store the pipe after smoking it?

Should I put it on the pipe stand in my room (open area) until it rests as much as it wants?

Or is it okay to put the pipe in the pipe bag and put it away?
I have heard of an analogy somewhere that putting pipe in a bag after smoking is like putting wet socks in a plastic bag, which, by the way, will stink.
What do you think?

fluffie666

Can't Leave
Apr 4, 2014
Welcome
If the pipe has a stem that can oxidize, I like to keep mine in a dark cabinet in order to inhibit light getting to it. I also have an eyeglass cloth rubbed in chap stick. I wipe the vucanite or ebonite stems dry first, inside and out. Then wipe the stem down with the chap stick cloth. This is just a neurotic pipe guy extra measure to inhibit oxidation. If a pipe has an acrylic or plastic stem then I keep it on a rack on my pipe table.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I would leave it as much access to air as possible, so no pipe sock (or basement where you can tell it to put the lotion on its skin or it gets the hose again).

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
That's what pipe racks are for, aside from displaying and easy access to to them. Once the pipe has dried after smoking for at least a few days or more (preferably more) then placing it back in a pipe sock would be OK if you wish to do so.
I have heard of an analogy somewhere that putting pipe in a bag after smoking is like putting wet socks in a plastic bag, which, by the way, will stink.
A good analogy, and very true. It won't hurt the pipe, but it sure as hell will foul it to the point that your next smoke will taste like crap. It's all about PM (preventive maintenance).

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
Always rack the pipe in open air and with the stem up. This way the moisture can travel down into the bowl where it can evaporate. You don't want moisture trapped in the shank and stem.

Mar 1, 2014
I bought a few 1lb bags of silica beads to put in an air tight container with my pipes (the silica bags are about $10 each on Amazon). That way the smell of drying pipes doesn't flood the room.

I'm already in a very dry climate so I can't say that I would have had problems either way, and my pipes tend to get months of rest between bowls, but it seems like a reasonable solution.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
I would be wary of over drying your briars, if they get too dry too fast they may crack. I would skip the silica beads and just air dry the pipes. They really don't smell much at all.

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
I agree with philobedoe. Besides, when they do, they smell great! I admire the fact that you want to take good care of your pipes, but remember, too much of a good thing...! The most important thing, if it were me, would be to keep them clean. It sounds like they get plenty of rest and should stay nice and dry, so running a pipe cleaner through after every bowl and another pipe cleaner bent in half (or even a paper towel) to absorb any liquid that may be left in the bottom of the bowl after smoking should keep them nice and fresh. I also like to take all of mine apart every few months and clean them well with alcohol. This works for me, but find your own routine. Worrying too much can take the joy out of the hobby, and we don't want that!

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
I wipe them out with a paper towel, take q tips to the bowl to reduce cake build up. Put it on the pipe rack and let dry for at least 24 hours. Of course you need to run the pipe cleaners through it.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Right.
Storage in drawers, under beds, cupboards is fine. Stem up or down or horizontal makes no difference as you will have removed the bulk of the moisture per above.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I prefer plenty of air circulation, so in racks or cabinets out of direct sun, but airy enough. I prefer seeing the pipes in my "pipe shop," so I like them open to view. It reminds me to keep them all in rotation.

pipeanddrum

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 5, 2016
After I smoke a pipe, I like to run a pipe cleaner down the stem all the way to the bowl, turning it as I run it back and forth then leave it in, standing the pipe bowl down allowing any residual moisture to run down the stem/be absorbed by the pipe cleaner. I'll allow it to rest for at least an hour or so before removing the pipe cleaner and using it to swab out the inside of the bowl and finally placing the pipe back in a rack out in the open to allow as much air flow as possible.

jaq6q

Might Stick Around
Jul 5, 2015
Thank you gentlemen for sharing your thoughts!

No wonder why some of my pipes did not taste right :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.