PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

scandiuzzi

Lurker
May 2, 2018
That matter about pipe tobacco is already exhausted, but what about the pipes themselves? Can they be stored in a cigar humidor for resting?

woopigpiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 24, 2017
Arkansas
Resting implies drying. You don't want to rest your pipes in a humid environment. So, no, please don't put them in the humidor.

scandiuzzi

Lurker
May 2, 2018
Makes sense. I was wondering about that after I saw the pipe collection of an YouTube pipe smoker, maybe it was the pipe nook

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
If the humidor is NOT made of cedar and NOT humidified then you could store pipes. But that’s rare. Otherwise, if cedar as usual, the pipes will absorb the scent. Best to avoid. Store in a dry dark place.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
Well, I do have a slight different opinion on this topic. Although I do not store my pipes in my cigar humidor, I guess you could. The point of making humidors of ceder, is because Spanish cedar is a very dense wood, hence when the box made of this wood is humidified the wood does not absorb the moisture as a more porous wood, but the environment keeps it at the required level suitable for cigar storing. Opposite, should you not humidify your box you will find that the inside atmosphere is a very dry one. Think of it this way, do not use your 50/50 solution on your humidifier for a few months, see how low will the hygrometer indicate. I'll tell you: bone dry !!!
I remember back in the US a yard sale, I found a Spanish cedar chest - quite large, that was storing sheep's fleece. The lady said that it has been in the family for decades, and that she wanted to get rid of it since it occupied space, not even remembering what was inside. The point is, the Spanish cedar not only kept the fleece dry and mold safe, it kept the environmental humidity out, so after storing fleece for 20 odd years the thing was in impeccable shape.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'd opt for some air movement, or at least not a tight closure, for pipe storage. I have a cabinet for pipes with clear doors, in addition to several open racks, all of which give air access and continual exchange, and the racks provide as much air movement as the room, which often has a fan running. The humidor may have some air exchange, but it would be on the low side, if not air-tight. For the same reason I wouldn't store a pipe in a sealed jar, I wouldn't choose to keep it in a humidor. madox' may have a good dry place for his pipes in the cedar chest. I still think some air movement is desirable. At least I'd let pipes dry well, at least several days, before putting them where there is little or no air movement.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
Hmmmm mso489 makes a pretty good point. Tobacco leaves a fair amount of humidity in the pipe itself, and based on my above rationale it will take a fair amount of time for the pipe to dry in the humidor. And yes, I do believe that the humidor is air tight, or at least if it is a well made humidor the lid should be heavy, when closing also it should make a "wuush" sound meaning that it closed the box shut/sealed. I didn't think about that.
Oh, and for the record ... that cedar chest I was talking about, I left it in the US ... it was a nifty thing, but too damned large to have it shipped to Europe.
Overall, based on our discussion I would agree that storing your pipes in your cigar humidor is a no no.

Status
Not open for further replies.