PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

samugeki123

Lurker
Nov 26, 2017
So, I have my Pearwood pipe and a few home made cobs, and i don't have a rack. Would using one of the flat fishing tackle boxes with the dividers fork for storage? The box I was thinking of using never had tackle in it and is not air tight.

samugeki123

Lurker
Nov 26, 2017
I'm just low budget right now and relatively crafty, so i have a lot of things like that laying around. That box used to hold my cleaned and dried fountain pens. I also was wondering,any good ways to keep tobacco that was in a pouch? Like it works, but i noticed it is starting to get really dry, not to where it is brittle and falling apart, but definitely on the dry side.

stickframer

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2015
For tobacco storage, you could try those Ziploc style plastic containers if you have any laying around. Put the pouch in one of those, should keep the tobacco fresh a bit longer.

samugeki123

Lurker
Nov 26, 2017
It was horrendously moist when i first opened the package. And in package it started to dry over time. Would one of those rubbermaid containers work if you had like a wet paper towel in a ziploc? I know that works to keep humidity up in a violin case, would it work the same on this scale?

stickframer

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2015
As a guess, yes, that could work. Keep an eye on it so it doesn't get too damp.
Edit; if it's not brittle/crispy it might not need too much rehydrating, if any.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Good question!
Some pipes are in drawers, some in racks, some in bowls, some in boxes, some in socks. Only thing is all have plenty of dry-ish air at all times.

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
I like to see ALL my pipes. Looking at them is as enjoyable to me as anything else about the hobby. Mine won't be hidden in boxes.

Racks can be as simple and plain as this, for a while or forever.
23839661058_06aad96d4b_k_d.jpg

Or repurpose an old cabinet.
37890630681_05d5657f42_k_d.jpg

Or, make some out of almost nothing.
24401358738_97ae0a92d1_k_d.jpg

samugeki123

Lurker
Nov 26, 2017
I love the ways you have those organised, and great repurposing of egg cartons. Also i just remembered we have clean baby food jars and they seal really well. That would work for small quantities, and really that's all I need for now, plus one of my friends and i usually split a new pouch of tobacco, so this is about the right size after a few bowls.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Pipes need to be stored at the proper angle so they dry out like they are supposed to. Keeping them in a case is what rank amateurs do, oops sorry jesse. The picture Nevade Blue has of his lone Meer is the perfect angle, the ones in his egg cartons are not angled enough. This has been scientifically proven from a research lab in Switzerland, you need to trust me on this. :wink:

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
... unless you hang them stem down in those holders that are too short to allow bent pipes to be inserted. :roll: Then it is OK.

samugeki123

Lurker
Nov 26, 2017
Is there any way you could provide a link to the study? Not meaning to try and call you on anything, or seem assertive about it, but habits from school die hard.

samugeki123

Lurker
Nov 26, 2017
Hahaha, okay, so the general vibe i get from these forums is this: we all have our opinion of right, do what you feel suits your situation and take everything with a grain of salt

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
sam, as Nevadablue stated it was done in jesse's basement and we didn't think to bring in our video crew to document such a life changing event. As you will soon learn my opinion on anything pipes and tobacco related is gospel and should never be questioned. So it is written, so shall it be done, in my best Yul Brenner impersonation.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Yes, Harris is a gas! A plume of gas at that.
But, Harris, old boy, I am concerned about burn out—your burn out. You disappear for eons then come back with a flurry. Pace yourself, man! We'd rather have prolonged doses of Harris wit(?) rather than the run-and-gun and then disappearing act we've seen in the past.

Status
Not open for further replies.