Status
Not open for further replies.

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
The best way to store pipe tobacco is in airtight glass jars, such as mason jars or airtight bail top jars. The glass doesn't get contamintaed like plastics do and the airtight seal will keep it moist.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
why can't you put aromatic blends in a mason jar? what's the Differents between the two in storing ??
I think the pickle jar comment was a joke based on the idea that one didn't clean the pickle jar out first, but Latakia has a smokey enough flavor that it might go well with pickles.
That was my take on it anyway.

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
Actually I tried using a pickle jar before. I cleaned the heck out of it and ran it through the dishwasher, and it still had that pickle smell. I don't know if it was the lid that held the smell or the jar.
Needless to say, I have not used pickle jars for tobacco storage. I like some aromatics, but a dill pickle one just doesn't fit the bill. lol

giospro

Lurker
Apr 14, 2009
Salt Lake City, Ut
i've been using mason jars(new)now after reading about storing tobacco.

you never know the pickle flavor might end up of a new taste and smell for smoking tobacco.lol

mate

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 4, 2009
Trinidad & Tobago, W.I.
Washing Jars and even tobacco pouches
I squese some lime in it, I find this removes scents from previous tobaccos, especially the Aromatic Kind.
Obviously rinse it out well, as the lime may cut into plastic jars and destroy the latex lining in pouches

mate

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 4, 2009
Trinidad & Tobago, W.I.
Because I may have many tins open at a time, I have developed this method for retaining the freshness of a tin over months.
It works with both round and the cuboid tins that dont screw down and are more likely to dry out.
As I open the tin, I carefully take out the inner package, then I use Glad Wrap, Cling or one of those other cellophane plasticky things that is used for wrapping food.
I lay this in the tin with an excess of about 3 inches around the perimeter.
I then put back in the baccy, with its original wrapper on top of this.
This excess wrap I then fold, before closing tin.
Its a bit of bother, but I find that it will keep the stuff nice for months. Also the baccy is not in direct contact with the plastic.
I also use old tins with the original wrapper, to store my mixtures using this method. Better than any pouch.
I'll post pics of this on my blog
http://pipesmagazine.com/lonleypipes/

mate

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 4, 2009
Trinidad & Tobago, W.I.
Please Note Lime is also used for RUM PUNCH
Recepie:
1 Sour (lime juice)

2 Sweet (syrup from white sugar)

3 Strong (dark rum) Trinidad, Guyana, Barbados or Jamaica.............DO NOT USE SPICED RUM

4 Weak (crushed Ice)
Garnish with Angoustra Aromatic Bitters, Nutmeg, Mascharino Cherry, wedge of lime

Status
Not open for further replies.