Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
I have a potential problem. I hope not, but you wise gentlemen might be able to tell me otherwise. You see, I don't really have a pipe cabinet or a cellar space to store my collection of tobaccos, and it's a fairly large and varied collection, thanks to the kindness of many on this forum. The question is storing it all. From the photo here, you can see my "tobacco/pipe" shelf in my office. On the far left is my collection of Sutliffs and other paper tins, some opened, but usually don't have much of a chance to age because I use them rather quickly, so they don't present a problem. Following those are miniature wooden crates I picked up one after-Christmas sale, figuring they should come useful someday. They did. One little crate holds metal tins (tins that have been opened are in turned stored in a plastic bag), another contains plastic stored baccys, and the last two contain empty medium sized Mason/Ball jars. A crate neatly holds four medium sized jars.

Here's my problem. I simply don't have the room or jars to contain each plastic sample of tobacco; my thought was to store the plastic containers inside each jar, thereby keeping them airtight, and labeling each jar to indicate what it contained. Is this a reasonable solution? Not a very elegant way to store baccys, even a little clumsy, but it's the only thing I can think of. What are your thoughts?

img_0690-600x123.jpg

macabra11

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 14, 2014
Boise, ID
I have the same thoughts/issue sparrowhawk. I have thought about the mason jar route, but don't have the room. Interested in hearing suggestions on what others do for preserving opened tobaccos with limited space.

reichenbach

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2012
West Park, NY
When I do get a chance to jar some bulk (which I did tonight with my birthday present to myself, a pound of C&D Three Friars and 500g of G&H Dark Birds Eye), I keep my "cellar" in a rubber tub in a closet. Not the best but that's what I came up with.

It really depends on two things, what type of tobaccos they are and what your intentions are. If you are just wanting to slow down the drying out of your rotation, then just keep doing what you are doing would be fine. If you are wanting to store them to age, then you'll needs jars and more space. But, if the bags wont fill a jar, then it may not be worth the effort to store long term.
How long till you'll want to smoke these? I'd just get one of those packs of tupperwear Lock lid things from the grocer's if they are still in rotation. It would be better sized to hold a partial tin and easier to store on that small shelf, and you can just dip into it and reseal them for latter. Those Lock-it things have a pretty good seal. I keep my rotation in those, and I've never had an issue with drying, unless I want it to dry, lol. :puffy:

macabra11

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 14, 2014
Boise, ID
Would it be OK to put multiple tins/pouches into the same ziploc or tupperware container? I just want to slow down the drying right now, not age anything for an extended period of time.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
If I understand you question - perhaps double-package the samples individually (i.e. place one bag into another bag). Then cram several into one quart size or larger mason jar. Not ideal, but would at least be airtight.
I also don't have a lot of space for my tobacco but I make sure they are all sealed in mason jars (just bought another dozen today). My investment in tobacco makes them worth every penny. Then I cram all of these jars (probably have about 80 quart-sized so far) in my closet, one case stack upon another! Not elegant, but does the job and my investment is safe.

grouchydog

Can't Leave
Oct 16, 2013
I'd do what Six suggests. If possible, I'd probably keep similar "styles" in separate jars - i.e. English with only other English, VaPers with only other VaPers, etc.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
I am reconciled. Thanks for the tips, gentlemen. BTW, for truly large amounts of tobaccos, like 1Q, which I stored by the pound, I have a huge snap lip thick plastic container, so that's not a problem.

bowler1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 16, 2013
Williamsburg, VA
If you use the half pint mason jars they are not that big and you can probably fit a tin of tobacco in one if you compact it a bit

Status
Not open for further replies.