PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
I have perused other posts about storage and cellaring and have yet to find an answer that would satisfy my question:
B&Ms have their house blends in jars out on the shelves/counters for sampling/sale. Is it acceptable/recommended to have a frequently used blend in a single jar for frequent personal use like they do at the shops?
I'd like to have a jar with a bulk blend (like 1Q) out for regular use, but only if it is thought of by the community to be a kosher practice.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I keep the current tobacco rotation in jars - I open several in the course of a day. These are distinct from jars for long term storage. (Most of my really long term stuff is tinned, anyway. I have way too many blends I like that are available no other way.)

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
I usually keep my opened blends in their tins or baggies as I use them, but I would like to buy a blend in bulk and not have to keep it in smaller jars. I like the idea of having it in one single jar for use, but would like the sage advice of the community on whether this is a decent idea, bearing in mind that B&Ms use this practice.

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
My guess would be that B&Ms move a lot of product in a few short weeks. My bet is that they refill the glass jar holding the one pound of 1Q at least weekly. One pipe smoker would have to be a prodigious puffer to consume that quantity of 1Q themselves. Therefore I would advocate for smaller pint or quart sized Mason/Ball/Carr type jars.
But then, the "Codgers of Yesteryear" had no problems with a 16 ounce can of Prince Albert sitting on the end table.
~Zeke

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
Appreciate the advice. I just wanted to gauge responses on the topic. The smaller jar may have to be the way to go. I have one of those old pipe racks with the glass humidor, but the general consensus on using that for it's original purpose is not to.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
It can also depend on the tobacco in question - here in Colorado, the blends that my B&M leaves out are mostly the heavily cased aromatics. When I asked about English blends, the proprietor said that he didn't stock any in bulk, as they didn't sell as well and tended to dry out too quickly (he does stock several of the Frog Mortons in tins, however...).

mike73

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 20, 2013
You could use your jar for the pipe rack as you want. Just don't fill it with more then you think you can't smoke in time period.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
My humidor jar has boxes of old Dr. Grabow and Medico filters, matches and cigar bands. The lid isn't tight either.

erichbaumer

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 4, 2012
Illinois
I've got four smaller jars that hold about two ounces worth of tobacco. Two contain the 4oz of 965 I recently got, one some Billy Budd, and one half a tin of Nightcap that needed to get out of the tin and into something more permanent. Seems to be working so far.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
All my tobacco's that are open and ready to smoke are stored in mason jars. My cellar consists of un-opened tins only. Anything in the mason jar is fair game for smoking.
As for the type of jars the B&M shops use; if you smoke on a regular basis and go through tobacco at a decent rate then you should have no problem storing it that way. If the tobacco is going to sit in it for an extended period of time then I would suggest the mason jars instead. It really depends on how fast you'll smoke through the tobacco.

petergunn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 3, 2013
In the old days, when puffers basically smoked one blend, most of them would store their tobacco in a pipe tobacco humidor; most were made of glass,
Guilty as charged ;) but I do smoke 2 blends regularly and both are kept in glass. One looks like a jar like I used to see in a local Tinderbox and is over 20 years old the other is new a looks like the ones in the pic on the homepage, I also use a Mason jar for overflow and have a humidor and a small jar for odds and ends.

Status
Not open for further replies.