PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
I just did some searching and didn't really find anything specific so sorry if this has been answered. I'm ready to open up my tub of Carter Hall that I just bought and I don't know how long I can store it in the tub it comes in? Can I leave it in the tub as is or should I jar it? I'm not worrying about aging, just that 14oz will take me a year to smoke so I don't want to waste the tobacco.

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
You can send half down to your buddy in southern NJ. BANG - problem solved :rofl:
Seriously I have no answer. I think I read somewhere that since it comes (I believe) in a cardboard container that jarring it is the right thing to do for long term, especially if it takes you that long to smoke because you only use it to break in pipes.
Just my .01 (not even worth .02)

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Thanks Roth, I'll keep it in the tub as is, if I notice any drying I can pick up a humicare pillow at my local shop.
Dan, I have a better plan, come on up to catch a Jays game and you, Pat and I can have all the CH we can handle during the road trip!!

05venturer

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Amery,WI
I have had a tub of CH opened for a few months and it is about 2/3 full I just noticed this morning that it did seem to be drying a bit so I decided to jar up what I had left to make sure i did not end up having to rehydrate it later. Jars are cheap insurance IMO.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I just bought some bulk tobacco that will come in a ziplock bag, so I bought an appropriate size

canning jar, with a nice wire latch and rubber seal, for when it arrives. I've had a tub of Granger

in its tub for about a year, and it has done fine. You do have to make sure the plastic top is snapped

down securely. It looks and feels sealed sometimes when it isn't. I think it's good for a year or two.

If you need it to last longer, or want to age it, use the jar. I really like the wire latches rather than

juggling the screw tops with the extra disk in the lid.

hfearly

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 11, 2012
Canada
+1 to keep in tub as is. Can't see any significant change in tobacco moisture after having had the tub open for 3 months. And stuff usually dries out fast in my castle :)

appointed

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 8, 2013
I've got some in a pouch that I've had for over a month now, and while it has dried a little, I find it still smokes fine. I am just leaving mine in the pouch. If you're worried about it, then it shouldn't be much trouble to jar it.

flyguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2012
I think it depends on how much you smoke. If you only smoke a bowl per day (or less) of the CH, I would recommend transferring it to mason jars and cellaring the balance. I bought a bunch of small, 12 oz glass stopper jars from Wal-Mart for tobacco that is in-use. When I buy tobacco I fill a stopper jar (with a humidifier disk placed inside) and cellar the rest in small mason jelly jars. When I empty a stopper jar, I refill it from a cellared jelly jar.

If you are like Roth and some of us that use up CH quickly, I think their leave-it-in-the-tub method is correct. With tobacco prices such as they are, I like to err on the cautious side when it comes to preserving my investment. Maybe I am a little OCD! :)

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
I think I'll try the humicare pillow method and see how that works. If I notice it starting to dry out I'll simply jar it and go from there. Thanks for the input gents!

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Deal Dan, between yourself, Pat and I, I'm sure we could put a good dent in it. Well, between bowls of Escudo and Black Shag!!!

ffmurray

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 14, 2013
I tend to jar everything that I open, maybe it's just me but it seems better to have it sealed up in several glass jars and not have to worry about humidity or anything else. It's flexible because you can always leave the jars unopened for years if you go on a tin binge or whatnot. Just my $0.02

Status
Not open for further replies.