PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
This is a hypothetical question only. With all the talk of increased taxation on tobacco products, and seeing how Canada and Europe (and quite frankly, some US States) have incredibly high taxes on tobacco, I think about buying large quantities of tobacco now and storing them for the long term; i.e. to be consumed over the course of twenty years or so.
I see that many online retailers sell 5lb bags of loose tobacco, like Stokkebye, for instance. Let's say I buy 20 bags of these. How would be the best way to store this large amount of tobacco? Can you just keep them in the unopened bags and open as needed, or would you have to buy 200 or 400 or 800 mason jars and transfer it all into these for proper storage?
Hypothetical only, but I read on this forums that some guys actually come close to cellaring this much tobacco!
Thanks for your insights.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Do you have 300 or 600 pounds Peck? lol
Hypothetically speaking, I'd give it maybe 2 years before you start seeing massive taxes on tobacco. They don't do this stuff in small increments, it's meant to shock the consumer into quitting. With universal healthcare they'll want to tax things that are bad for your health which will be mainly booze and smokes as they're the 2 things that most sane people won't give up. I've seen smokes go from under 5$ a pack to about 15$ a pack, and guess what, those same people are all still smoking that stated they'd quit when it hit 7$ a pack. If you're serious about pipe smoking and can see yourself continuing to smoke, now is the time to stock up. Some 'merican's laugh at this mentality, "the coming tobacco Apocalypse" but it's going to be a matter of when not if. Tobacco will never be outright banned, but I know alot of smokers who remember paying a few dollars for a pouch that now costs 30$ a pouch. It's a sound investment in my opinion, and when the tax increases come I'm sure the people who had access to prices like a few dollars an ounce will be kicking themselves for not going overboard and stocking up when tobacco is costing them 15$ an ounce. It's kind of like people who had the chance to invest in gold in the 80's when it was 400$ an ounce, they're kicking themselves for not listening to every serious investor that was saying put all of your money into gold, I guarantee you it's going to pay off. And now gold is 1500$ an ounce plus. So I would highly recommend you go with your gut feeling on this, as all you'll have in 20 years is some great well aged tobacco and a nice supply, and a bunch of guys begging you to sell them tobacco at a cheap price. Me personally I look out for myself, I'll be laughing while smoking my pipe when this happens. It's already roughly 46$ for a 50 gm tin of McClellends where I live, and even more in Australia. So go big or go home is my motto. I figure I have about 10 years at the moment.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Can it into new 1 gallon paint cans. Use a mylar laminate bag as a liner.

Or borrow a can seamer from an LDS member, and tin into #10 cans.
Alternately, I offer a Tobacco Banking Service. Send that 100# of baccy to me, and I'll keep it safe until you need it, if you can find me.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
I just keep quietly stocking up on my stash of tobacco. Price is going to do nothing but GO UP(Ohio looking to add ANOTHER .60cents or a $1.00 a pack here real soon)...

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I will start to do that with Condor and other rope tobaccos as I think it will start to get very expensive. I am just wondering when the other shoe drops on the 'happy baccy' crowd in Colorado!

Strike Anywhere

Can't Leave
Nov 9, 2011
Speaking hypothetically, wink wink, I would cram as much as possible into mason jars. Don't worry about air for aging. Even if you cram it in there there will be plenty of air in there. Purely hypothetically speaking of course. Let me know if you would like hypothetical photos.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
"what's an LDS member? Latter Day Saints? I thought they didn't smoke! "
Right before they burst into flames... no, I shouldn't say that.
The LDS church is well admired for their wealth of knowledge on storing food. LDS members can borrow canning equipment, like motorized can seamers, from their church for putting up their required stores. I'm not saying that it would be respectful to use that seamer to can tobacco, but in my estimation, a sealed can would be the best thing for long-term baccy storage.
Alternately, new paint cans should work just fine. They are cheap and air-tight. I'd use a mylar bag as a liner, just to be safe.
A can is durable, light weight, air tight and cheap. All the attributes of a good woman, too.

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
I am just speaking hypothetically. I doubt I would do anything like this on such a massive scale. I can't imagine where I would put it all.
But if I smoke 2 oz. per week, that would be 6.5 lbs per year, or 65 lbs every ten years. If I could store it in something like 50+ gal oil drums I might consider doing something on a grand scale, but practically speaking having hundreds of mason jars won't work unless I construct a big shelving system. My wife would kill me!
Can we smoke pine needles, or catnip, or oak leaves?

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
I have a 120 quart marine cooler that if packed carefully would hold maybe 5 years of tinned tobacco and keep it safe. The OP has me seriously considering starting that doomsday cellar.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
The least expensive way to go about this is to buy a C-48 container of stripped Virginia. That's 440 pounds at about a buck a pound. Keep it in a cool, dry place and rehydrate as needed. Makes good trading fodder when TEOTWAWKI goes down, which will be in about a month, I think. So hurry up, you still have time.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
@condorlover1, what other shoe? Increased taxes on MJ? I live in Colorado and everything is fine here. The taxes on it is a bit high, but further taxation will keep people in the black market. Growing is legal here ... so there is an out for taxes if going to a dispensary is too much.

latbomber

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2013
I'd say big masons are the best. I'm starting to think about doing a huge stock-up next year.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I'm consuming at the rate of 3.25 pounds a year. What with medical miracles yet to come and the such, I figure I need about 1524 pounds in the ready position, but I'm going to settle for a tin of Penzance and 3 C-48 boxes of Virginia. I've installed an airlock in a spare bedroom, and I've hired some folks to begin sorting the leaf.
airlock3-vi.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.