PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Hi folks, I have read about pipers cellaring their tobaccos and have seen several picures of members cellar collections.
Thing is, I have only ever seen either unopened tins or storage jars. My question is would heat sealed plastic pouches cellar or more specifically age at all just as unopened tins appear to?
I am thinking of putting away some Condor Ready Rubbed & Long Cut but these are only available (to me at least) in heat sealed pouches.
I would really appreciate forum members thoughts on this.
Regards,
Jay.

xrundog

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
I don't think the pouches are 100% perfectly sealed. Putting the pouches in something like a Food Saver sealed bag would be better. Or maybe stick as many pouches as you can into a wide mouth canning jar.
Depends on the time frame. Over months the pouches are likely fine. Over years I wouldn't count on it.
You could also empty the pouches into large jars. I'll bet 10 year old Condor out of a jar would be awesome!
My experience with the dark Lakeland style tobaccos is that aging yields a richer stronger flavor.
I had a few pounds of aged Bracken Flake some years ago that was the best tobacco I ever smoked.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
I personally wouldn't trust the pouches all that much for long term storage.
You could either empty the pouches into Mason jars.
Keep the tobacco in the pouches if you so wish, but place them in a larger Mason jar.
Place the pouches in a large Food Saver bag (if you have a Food Saver (great investment), but don't vacuum seal the bag and simply heat seal it.

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
I leave my pouches sealed and just jar them
win_20151112_101154-600x337.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.