Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ash13brook

Lurker
Jul 2, 2012
I am starting to add more quantity of tobaccos to my small collection. Most are tins of some kind of flake. But, I want to start adding some bulk. I've read bits and pieces of info about cellaring. I read somewhere that G.L. Pease had written a guide for aging, but I cannot find it. Can someone give me a step by step guide to keeping my tobacco? I'm less interested in aging than just keeping it smokable over the long term.

joshwolftree

Part of the Furniture Now
Okay here's how I do it

step by step of storing tobacco

1. Open clean mason jar.

2. insert tobacco

3. close mason jar

4. label jar lid with sharpie

5. put mason jar in coolish dry place out of direct sunlight

6. Swear because your out of tobacco and those morons over at (insert website name) are dragging ass getting you your next order

7. open cabinet,closet,other area where cellared tobacco is stored

8. swear again because sharpie has rubbed of the lids and is now unreadable

9. vow to get a printer and make real labels for future tobacco additions

10. Select random jar because it kinda looks like the one you want to smoke

11. slam door to tobacco storage center

11.5 (Optional) swear yet again because some part of your anatomy was in the door when you slammed it

12. Trip over all pets you may have on your way to get a pipe

13. get pipe

14. carefully unscrew band on jar

15. realize lid has sealed and attempt to pry up with finger/thumb nail

16. slice self on sharpened edge of lid

17. bandage offending digit

18. get a flat head screwdriver(or butterknife/similar device)

19. pop lid

20. fill pipe with tobacco

21. charring light

21.5 tamp

21.5.5 light pipe

22. realize it's that awfull rotting skunk asshole Aro your brother-in-law got you.

Repeat steps 7-22 until you get a good tobacco

23. sit down to enjoy pipe

24. get up to answer door

25. open front door

26. swear loudly because your two sips into the pipe you went to all this trouble for, and it's the UPS man with your gorram order of the tobacco you actually wanted

27. sit down with fresh order and repeat steps 1-5
I hope it helps :lol:

flyguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2012
Do any of you guys put the tobacco in hot jars to get a better seal or is that a bad idea?

joshwolftree

Part of the Furniture Now
well jars that aren't full or are in rotation are kept in either the living room or kitchen, which is generally 10-15 degrees warmer than the store room where I keep my cellared tobaccos, I tend to get a good seal that way. I haven't tried treating the jars(like you would for canning, or specifically heating the the jars for any duration. I think it might be interesting to possibly "bake" the tobacco (it's described in another thread that I can't find right now). but use the jars instead of a tin to maybe get that flavor and then lock it in by creating a heat seal on the jar.

Aug 1, 2012
I would think applying heat to a jar of tobacco would do more harm than good. You might disagree and that's just fine with me. I just fill, screw the lid on, mark it and go.

Aug 1, 2012
I defer to roth's judgement as he has much more experience in the subject. The only experience I have with long-term cellaring is with beer and mead. With them heat is only surpassed in damage potential by sunlight or fluorescent light.

mlyvers

Can't Leave
Sep 23, 2012
great info guys. i do agree you do not need any type of heat in order to seal a mason jar. they will seal on their own. after you have put the tobac in a mason jar just screw on the lid and ring, after a day or so the lid will be sucked in. if not you can press down on the lid, the lid normally will stay down indicating a vaccum. good luck.
mike.

ash13brook

Lurker
Jul 2, 2012
Thanks for the responses. The handbook might have been what I was looking for, although, I expect Josh's is the most accurate! Life was easier when I just jammed some Capt. Black in my corn cob a couple of times a day.

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
Good read. Nothing new, but was interesting how G.L. Peace needs to watch what he prints, as they’re being used as gospel passages by people, and you have to watch what you say! In the end I feel good about my stand on rolled pressed tin.
Craig

Status
Not open for further replies.