1. prairiedruid

prairiedruid

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

This was posted on SToP's facebook page

The Standard Tobacco Company of Pennsylvania
    July 21 at 8:35am ·

Buy It While You Can

With the FDA Deeming Regulations poised to take effect in about two weeks, I have some sobering news for our friends. Unless something changes, there will not be another production run on the 5 original Standard Tobacco Co. of PA blends. Once the current inventory of War Horse, Bengal Slices and John Cotton's is sold, there will be no more. Ever.

I've held off making this announcement until I was certain that the end is near. August 8, 2018 is the cut-off date for selling post 2007 blends such as ours without an FDA Substantial Equivalence (SE) approval. Since it now appears highly unlikely that we will get an SE, and since our distributor does not want to get stuck with product that they can not sell, their plan is to sell out existing stock and not re-order.

Caveat: If we sell out of everything quickly, the distributor might change their mind and do another run, but that is doubtful given the glut of new, last ditch blends clogging up production and warehouse space. Also, if the FDA is forced by congress to change the grandfather date to include post 2007 blends such as ours, then we are free to continue production. That, however, is exceedingly unlikely at this point in time.

I can't tell you how sad and disappointed I am to have to tell you this. It's not where we wanted to be at this point in time, but I wanted to give you all the opportunity to order your favorites before it's too late.

-Dan

Posted 3 years ago #
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

davidintexas

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Holy Moly. I got 11 more tins of War Horse. With my rate of consumption that plus what I have should last me a long long time. Sad. It was so great to see those old blends coming back and now this. Thanks for the heads up prairiedruid. Makes me wonder now if the plug will ever make it out or if it does if it'll be just a one-time production run

Posted 3 years ago #
  3. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

Yep. Sad news. CI could continue to produce this blend til 2018, but they're choosing not to. They're worried that they'll get stuck with a single tin.

Warhorse bar and Warhorse Green will still be issued.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

It is pointless to argue with a fanatic since a dim bulb can't be converted into a searchlight. - Jesse Silver
    Posted 3 years ago #
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

davidintexas

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sablebrush, will they be issued because the money's already invested and might as well recoup what they can from a limited production run, or do you think it will be more permanent than Warhorse RR?

Posted 3 years ago #
  5. jiminks

JimInks

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

2018 at the latest David. Not beyond that. Maybe not that long either. We'll have to wait and see.

Posted 3 years ago #
  6. ericusrex

ericusrex

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I had been waiting for P&C's December monthly special to stock up but this news has moved things forward a few months.

Posted 3 years ago #
  7. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sad and disappointed is an understatement. Damn! It's a sad state of affairs. Small businesses take another one in the groin. Pipe lovers get the shaft as well, retail establishments, distributors, employees all get dinged in the process. I'd move to Canada, but it's worse there for tobacco.

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  8. hawky454

hawky454

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Wow, I really, really love Bengal Slices but I don't like how English blends age so I'm hosed. I love Warhorse and will have to stock up on that one before it goes bye bye. Good news about Warhorse Bar... Will it only be a one time run?

Posted 3 years ago #
  9. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

We'll never be able to patch together match blends to these from available tobacco, but if we keep notes on what leaf they had and in approximate proportions by taste, we might be able to approximate some of our favorites, so we won't be left without any reminiscent mixes. Also, as mentioned before, we should all mine the extensive inventories of pre-2007 (or whatever date) blends that have been sitting on the shelves moving very slowly. Some of those are really good, just not actively pushed. I think of Iwan Ries Three Star blends first, but every retailer has some of these, and many of them are very good. If we keep chipping away at this stock, it will keep our retailers in business and in a position to take advantage of any revisions in the regulations. Also, recipes using available leaf or blends will also expand the possibilities for mixing at home.

Posted 3 years ago #
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

davidintexas

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That's what I was wondering hawky but from the sounds of it nobody really knows at this point, except of course, the guys at STP. But even then they may not be sure just depending on how things shake out down the line. Maybe John with STP can chime in on The Bar

Posted 3 years ago #
  11. pagan

pagan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Damn! It's a sad state of affairs. Small businesses take another one in the groin.

That says it all, the little guy looses

Nowhere in the world will such a brotherly feeling of confidence be experienced as amongst those who sit together smoking their pipes
    Posted 3 years ago #
  12. gloucesterman

gloucesterman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

And the FDA will tell you "This is for your own good" because none of us are smart enough to know what's good for us. You have to Love the Granny State, they're always looking out for our best interests! Make sure you let them know in Washington just how thankful you are come November.

Posted 3 years ago #
  13. iamn8

Nate

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Canada just taxes the crap out of them, but don't make them go away outright.

Nate @ Moody AL
    Posted 3 years ago #
  14. hawky454

hawky454

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well, I just place another ridiculously large order. I've spent over 5 grand on tobacco in the past 3 months. I'm set for the rest of my life, I've been hoarding tobacco since 2010 but every time I hear of another blend being pulled my instinct is to go buy, buy, buy. It's just a crying shame I can't afford everything that ever was or is in existence.

Posted 3 years ago #
  15. zitotczito

zitotczito

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well, I just place another ridiculously large order. I've spent over 5 grand on tobacco in the past 3 months. I'm set for the rest of my life, I've been hoarding tobacco since 2010 but every time I hear of another blend being pulled my instinct is to go buy, buy, buy. It's just a crying shame I can't afford everything that ever was or is in existence.

Posted 3 years ago #
  16. hawky454

hawky454

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Posted 3 years ago #
  17. iamn8

Nate

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Damn Hawk!!'??? You have a problem!! Although I suppose you've got rid of one problem, not enough tobacco, for another problem, a money sucking addiction.

Posted 3 years ago #
  18. zitotczito

zitotczito

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nothing wrong with what your doing in my eyes. My total purchases are now up to $11,593.00 so far and more to come. I am working on German blends now.

Posted 3 years ago #
  19. iamn8

Nate

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I had no idea this forum was so populated with the wealthy.

Posted 3 years ago #
  20. prairiedruid

prairiedruid

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nothing wrong with what your doing in my eyes. My total purchases are now up to $11,593.00 so far and more to come. I am working on German blends now.

Gee makes my $120 order of Smyrna and War Horse seem piddly......wonder if the wife will let me be adopted by zitotczito!

Have pipe will travel.

Posted 3 years ago #
  21. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Don't forget to figure out the total tax take on your purchases; it's way more than just sales tax.

Posted 3 years ago #
  22. ericusrex

ericusrex

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Any valid coupon codes right now?

Posted 3 years ago #
  23. jacks6

jacks6

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The only one I know of is P&C's "summer" for 20% off.

Posted 3 years ago #
  24. zitotczito

zitotczito

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My understanding is the "summer" code can only be used once. I have tried and the total amount does not change. Others have said they have used it more than once.

Posted 3 years ago #
  25. hawky454

hawky454

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Damn Hawk!!'??? You have a problem!! Although I suppose you've got rid of one problem, not enough tobacco, for another problem, a money sucking addiction.

Yeah, no doubt! Frequenting these forums definitely does not help.

Hey, we will be glad we spent all that money in the long run! And congrats to you sir, your cellar must look pretty amazing.
    I had no idea this forum was so populated with the wealthy.

I'm certainly not wealthy by most American standards. I fell into some money recently and had no other plans for it. I couldn't think of any other way I'd want to spend my money than on tobacco and I got this money at the perfect time... The beginning of the end of this dying industry.

Posted 3 years ago #
  26. hawky454

hawky454

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Damn! Wish I would have know about that coupon code. I'm gonna try and email them, see if they'll honor it.

Posted 3 years ago #
  27. jerwynn

jerwynn

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I am just reeling in mourning. SToP just got started!!!! This is a terrible tragedy... I am in stunned disbelief.

“Deep peace of the running wave to you.
 Deep peace of the flowing air to you.
 Deep peace of the quiet earth to you.
 Deep peace of the shining stars to you.
    Deep peace of the infinite peace to you." - Fiona Macleod
    Posted 3 years ago #
  28. clickklick

clickklick

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I am beyond words. This news saddens me deeply!

Hobbyist Pipemaker - Carmette Pipes
    Posted 3 years ago #
  29. jmatt

jmatt

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

And people think those of us who have already been stocking up on post-2007 blends were Chicken Littles....

Posted 3 years ago #
  30. iamn8

Nate

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Just because the sky is actually falling doesn't mean you aren't still chicken little's personally I think you're all crazy for stocking up. Stop it!

Posted 3 years ago #
  31. zitotczito

zitotczito

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Just because the sky is actually falling doesn't mean you aren't still chicken little's personally I think you're all crazy for stocking up. Stop it!

HaHa, cat calling the kettle black.

Posted 3 years ago #
  32. iamn8

Nate

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Zito, I dunno what you're talking about

Posted 3 years ago #
  33. danielplainview

dave g

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Seeing this great vision from the very beginning up to the final delicious products was unprecedented. I thoroughly enjoyed the experience. For the FDA to roll in like a bull in a China shop and wreck the industry for small batch companies like this just pisses me off.

Keep your paws off my pipe tobacco you damn dirty apes!

Make aromatics great again.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  34. davet

davet

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have yet to try any of these yet Better put an order in I guess.

Posted 3 years ago #
  35. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

Sablebrush, will they be issued because the money's already invested and might as well recoup what they can from a limited production run, or do you think it will be more permanent than Warhorse RR?

I have no idea. If the plug doesn't show up on shelves before 8/8, I would assume it's a dead duck. If I'm wrong about that, I'd like to hear that.

Posted 3 years ago #
  36. papipeguy

papipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

We expect to see the War Horse Bar and War Horse Green this week. Once we see, touch and smoke them we expect it to be a go project. It's been nerve wracking but what isn't these days. Stay tuned.

Blowin' smoke since 1970.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  37. condorlover1

condorlover1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

We are all keeping our fingers crossed!

Posted 3 years ago #
  38. hawky454

hawky454

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

We expect to see the War Horse Bar and War Horse Green this week. Once we see, touch and smoke them we expect it to be a go project. It's been nerve wracking but what isn't these days. Stay tuned.

Great news! I'm very happy you all brought us War Horse RR, I've taken quite the liking to it! I imagine I'll like War Horse Bar even more. What is War Horse Green?

Posted 3 years ago #
  39. condorlover1

condorlover1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It sort of tastes like Condor

Posted 3 years ago #
  40. User has not uploaded an avatar

davidintexas

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Simon, we want it to taste exactly like Condor, not sort of like Condor I know you of all people will try to get it as close as can be done. The Warhorse was good, but I like Condor even better. So, when you announced the Warhorse green that got me excited. Hope it lives up to your expectation. Looking forward to it

Posted 3 years ago #
  41. hawky454

hawky454

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It sort of tastes like Condor

Now that's freakin' exciting! I can tell by the way you say it that it's definitely not as good as Condor but hey, close is good too. I would like to be able to keep my Condor stash as long as possible.

Posted 3 years ago #
  42. perdurabo

perdurabo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well, well, well....hope the folks that complain about not enough jobs are proud. Thank you FDA, we really needed the JackBoot input into our economy. Honest man can't do an honest day of work. Sad, just sad.

It's not my position nor want to help another man. It's his responsibility to help himself, as where he can learn to dig down deep enough to save himself. -I. Kidd
    Posted 3 years ago #
  43. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That's it; time to overthrow the government.

When they come for our tobacco...

"My own experience has been that the tools I need for my trade are paper, tobacco, food, and a little whiskey." -- William Faulkner

The Metal Mixtures
    Posted 3 years ago #
  44. User has not uploaded an avatar

jabo

Login to Send PM

Let us not talk of overthrow. Give them a smidijon of a chance, then we'll throw there tea into the Boston harbor ! Tea remember, not Tobacco, send that to me for safe keeping .

Posted 3 years ago #
  45. newbroom

newbroom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I suspect that we could sustain our own needs by dealing with forum hoarders for a week or two.
    The guys ahead of the curve are the ones growing their own.

Posted 3 years ago #
  46. condorlover1

condorlover1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I am hopeful that we will make it under the August 8th wire. We had been planning this one for quite a while and Dobby the house Elf at C.I sort of figured out the recipe in conjunction with Dr. Nafario and the result is hopefully our iteration of Condor that you will enjoy and buy loads of to add to your ever growing tobacco stashes!

Posted 3 years ago #
  47. arno665

arno665

Login to Send PM

Very, very, very sad news...

Posted 3 years ago #
  48. ericusrex

ericusrex

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

BTW, y'all, P&C still offers their Chicago show special pricing on lots of 5 tins. It's hidden though. Do a search for "Chicago Show" and the sampler pops up. Click on that and you have options for the 5-tin sampler or a 5-pack of any of the individual blends. $50 for 5 tins. It doesn't make sense to buy War Horse this way as this is the regular pricing but it's a significant savings on the other 4, particularly Bengal Slices. The "summer" coupon code may work in conjunction with this offer but I used it long ago and it won't let me use it again. Try and see!

Posted 3 years ago #
  49. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Mars Cigar has the best prices on our stuff right now.

As John and Simon have said, we have new blends in the pipeline that we are hoping can survive the FDA insanity. Time will tell!

-Dan

Posted 3 years ago #
  50. zitotczito

zitotczito

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

True Mars Cigars is lower but they are out of Smyrna, Bengal Slices and War Horse. Also they charge a flat $6.95 for shipping regardless of amount spent. For me living in PA P&C comes out better since I have to pay the PA 6% tax. So I ordered some more of the five blends, just to be on the safe side.

Posted 3 years ago #
  51. ericusrex

ericusrex

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yup, Mars is priced slightly better than the Chicago show bundles, but if that "summer" coupon code works....

Posted 3 years ago #
  52. jacks6

jacks6

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm curious if that summer coupon code works for anyone anymore...?

Posted 3 years ago #
  53. zitotczito

zitotczito

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Worked once for me and no longer.

Posted 3 years ago #
  54. lucky695

lucky695

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

+1^ Worked once and not again... last week.

"A pipe gives a wise man time to think and a fool something to stick in his mouth." - C.S. Lewis
    Posted 3 years ago #
  55. hawky454

hawky454

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm curious if that summer coupon code works for anyone anymore...?

I just used it successfully on my order last Friday.

Posted 3 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   warren, glassjapan, oldtoby, ben88, lightxmyfire, hoosierpipeguy, prairiedruid, bryans, redglow, lawayna, alan73, jpmcwjr, ssjones, marc75