PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
I'm in the new, refurbished Dunhill tobacco flagship in 1A St James's Street, London. It's wonderful! Not only do they stock the full range of cigars in a walk-in humidor, with an old-style smoking room, but they also sell Dunhill pipe tobacco. Ironically, the Dunhill tobacco shop is not allowed to stock Dunhill pipes (competition with the main Dunhill shops), They're working up a collection of Comoys, Rattrays, and other brands. I cannot recommend this haven highly enough, with the very knowledgeable and urbane proprietor Robert Emery. I recommend anyone visiting London comes and pays a visit.
Anyhoo, Robert showed me the Dunhill in-house announcement of the relaunch at the end of May of Aperitif and Durbar. From the horse's mouth.
Andy

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
We've contacted our representative from General Cigar (the US importer for Dunhill tobaccos). He knows nothing about it, but he's going to speak to the Dunhill brand manager to see if he has details. If we get an affirmative, we'll place an order immediately.
Russ

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Be sure to supply all the particulars to help us follow your good example, in terms of a web site, a street address, hours,

a Tube stop, and maybe a landmark or two, if it is near any of the established sites people visit. Last time I was in London,

I stayed at a little tourist hotel near Eustice Station, and the time before that, at a b&b in Earls Court. I suspect Dunhill would

be in one of the large commercial shopping areas.

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
Hi Russ - Robert showed me the internal Dunhill crib sheet, including the branding and pricing for the new/old blends, so it's definitely happening - at least in the UK.
MSO - the website is at http://www.1astjames.com. The site will be up in about 3 weeks but the address and contact details are on there now. The shop is on the corner of St James's Street and Pall Mall; the best Tube stop is Green Park. Out of the station, east along Piccadilly past the Ritz, south (right) down St James's Street and it's at the bottom in the south-east corner.
In lieu of the website, pictures and details at:
http://www.retail-focus.co.uk/projects/1071-project-dunhill-tobacco-of-london

http://www.arbuturian.com/theidler/cigars/dunhill-regius

http://www.cigarjournal.co/index.php/de/home/2023-dunhill-heritage-meets-innovation-
Hope this helps. If anyone does come to London please let me know - it would be great to catch up over a drink and a smoke in the American Bar!
Andy

latbomber

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2013
Wow very cool news! I hope this is the start of Dunhill taking their smoking side seriously again. I'll be in London this July, cant wait to have a look and pick up some Durbar.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
I always associate England with pipe smoking, so I will be glad to have one more place to visit when I'm over. And I'm happy to see Dunhill reintroducing any blends, as it must mean their research shows an upsurge in interest in pipe smoking. That said, once there is any Latakia in a blend, it's a Lat blend to me, and I cut to the chase: Nightcap!

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
We've gotten confirmation that they will be coming to the US, but there's no definite date. I'll let you know when we know for sure.
Russ

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
It's a shop so very open to the public, although it's polite to buy something from Robert to enjoy his hospitality.
Andy

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
It's a shop so very open to the public, although it's polite to buy something from Robert to enjoy his hospitality.

Obviously the shop is open to the public and that you should buy something if you are going to hang out. My personal rule of thumb is $10 to $15 of merchandise per hour of lounge time but I didn't know if the lounge with the cigar lockers was open to the public or a for a fee private. A lot of big city cigar shops have private member lounges. 8O

stbruno70

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 9, 2013
Two old classic blends I remember from years ago.
It will be interesting to see what they do in the newest releases.
I fondly remember the old shop at St James's in the 1970's and 80's. It was a proper tobacconist with great wooden drawers filled with their blends. When I last visited Dunhill in Christmas 2009, they had abandoned their heritage in favour of high end clothing and luxury nick-nacks. I do hope they have rediscovered their roots.

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
I fondly remember the old shop at St James's in the 1970's and 80's. It was a proper tobacconist with great wooden drawers filled with their blends. When I last visited Dunhill in Christmas 2009, they had abandoned their heritage in favour of high end clothing and luxury nick-nacks. I do hope they have rediscovered their roots.

This cigar shop and the reintroduced pipe tobaccos are not owned by AD Ltd. (the tails logo) the shop is owned by a licensee of the BAT company who has owned the name for tobacco manufacturing (the script logo) for many years. 8O

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
Sorry Dave - been away. You can tour the whole shop; there's no private room that I know of. You do have to pay for the lockers but now would be the time to get one with the refurb so new...

Status
Not open for further replies.