Stop Eating Bagels.....They Cause Lung Cancer.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

12 Fresh Mark Tinsky Pipes
1 Fresh Clarin Clay Pipe
36 Fresh Estate Pipes
36 Fresh Tsuge Pipes
120 Fresh Peterson Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

easterntraveler

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 29, 2012
Seriously wtf.....A new study shows bagels can increase your chance of getting lung cancer by 49 percent. I am destined to die. Oh wait so is everyone else.
http://www.fox9.com/health/103338556-story

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
The headline is catchy, but it is "[h]igh glycemic foods" in general that are linked to lung cancer. Bagels are just one example of such foods.
A 49% increase in the likelihood of lung cancer sounds scary, but what is the baseline probability of lung cancer?

Sep 27, 2012
Upland, CA.
Everything's going to kill us... but what the hell!, as the great Hunter S. Thompson said
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
Excuse me while I go out and get a bagel with cream cheese!

markus

Mar 18, 2014
Bloomfield, IN
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
AWESOME!!! :rofl:

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
Even though I was a healthcare professional, I stopped reading those studies long ago. Remember when chocolate was bad for you?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFJopF6WJNw

markus

Mar 18, 2014
Bloomfield, IN
Hell, not to long ago, coffee was bad for you too. They said it caused prostate cancer and now they have come full circle and say that it is full of antoxidants and it's now good for you. :crazy: 8O

That didn't stop me from drinking it at the time, but it did cause me a little stress, because I truly do love my coffee.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
cavemen_jpg1-300x198.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My family practice physician recommends cookies and chocolate, as long as they are treats in moderation. I would point out that the most and best bagels in the U.S. are made and consumed in New York City, and where do you suppose longevity is the longest? Manhattan. You see these tiny frail people who could be well over 100 out weaving through the bustling knock-down crowds. How can this be? My guess is that all of the social stimulation, a drama at ever street corner and in every coffee shop, keeps people too damned interested to expire, so there they are at 106, all dressed up and everywhere to go. You just need a couple million a year to live in dignity and comfort. And no desire to own or drive a car.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Here's the gist of the article, quoted almost fully. It's pathetically bad journalism.
This will make you stop spreading the cream cheese and toss that bagel away.

A study says the carbs in bagels can raise your risk for lung cancer.
The University of Texas study says high glycemic diets raise the risk of lung cancer by 49 percent, even for people who never smoked.
High glycemic foods include bagels, white bread, corn flakes, and popcorn. They raise blood sugar quickly.
Lung cancer is the second most common cancer, and.....
Raise risk over what? Who did the study within UT? Eating a bagel doesn't alone constitute a high glycemic diet.

macaroon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 2, 2015
Michigan
I've done a little research as far as baseline lung cancer risk goes. And before someone quotes Mark Twain at me, just let me say that I did most of this to satisfy my own curiosity well before this thread came up, and I did it all partially just for the fun of figuring out how to work the numbers, as well as to better inform myself. And remember to always take statistics with a grain of salt.
According to National Cancer Institute ~6.6% of men and women will be diagnosed with lung cancer at some point in their live. This number encompasses the marathon runners and the 2 packs a day cigarette smokers. The Lung Cancer Institute says that 80-90% of lung cancer cases are due to some form of smoking, meaning that nonsmokers account for 10-20% of cases.
15% of 6.6% is 0.99%, meaning that if nobody smoked, about 1% of the US population would contract lung cancer at some point.

85% of 6.6% is 5.61%, meaning that if everybody smoked to some degree and smoking were the only cause of lung cancer, about 5.61% of the US population would get it.
The NCI also says that the 5 year survival rate for lung cancer is 17.4%, so an average nonsmoker has a 0.826% chance of dying from lung cancer.
A fairly substantial study on pipe smoking showed that men who smoked 1-3 pipe fulls a day had a relative risk (RR) of death by lung cancer of 1.99 (95% confidence interval: 1.12, 3.29; p less than .001).
Back calculate from there, and you can show that, for a 1-3 pipe a day smoker, there is:

0.826% for nonsmokers * 1.99 = a 1.64374% chance of dying from lung cancer, and

1.64% of cases die * 1.174 = a 1.99% chance of being diagnosed with lung cancer. That's 1 in 50 pipe smokers at a 1-3 pipes per day habit. That 1.99 value comes back up because the incidence rate for nonsmokers happens to be 1%, and the effects that has on the related values.
It's worth noting that the risk increases with the number of pipes per day, with the depth of inhalation, and with the number of years a you've been smoking.
Of course these are all generalizations, as is the nature of statistics. And not just that, but then I went a did calculations using values from multiple sources! Though the study I referenced accounts for a decent number of confounding variables there is no way to perfectly represent a specific individual case. There's going to be some skewing of values one way or another.
Feel free to check my math, I'd like to know if I messed up somewhere in there!

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
Another correlation = causation study. This is what universities do with their computers (and government grants) these days. Thanks macaroon, for putting it in perspective.

easterntraveler

Dec 29, 2012
I did not think this was going to generate this much in responses. Really the moral was everything us going to kill us. This time they are picking on poor defenseless bagels.

skraps

Sep 9, 2015
I recently read that smoking now greatly reduces your risk of lung cancer. Well, not actually, but give it 10 more years and I'm sure that will be the next trend. :crazy:

jdhayes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 15, 2016
Leading cause of death is living. Ain't none of us getting out of this alive.

randelli

Nov 21, 2015
Death is caused by swallowing small amounts of saliva over a long period of time.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I think the actual paleo diet -- roots, meat, fat, vegetables and berries -- may be quite healthy. It's slightly hard to maintain however, and the populist "paleo diet" strikes me as far off the mark. The main thing is to eat mostly meat and smoke constantly and you'll live to 111.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Feel free to check my math.
It has also been found that checking some other persons math can cause cancer. I could give the mathematical equations on it but I'm in fear of doing so as someone may possibly question my math. Other than that, I heard about this 'bogus' study on the 'Today Show' this morning (no mention about bagels) and, as always, leave it up to Fox News to do an eye catching, and ever so asinine headline as to bagels being the cause of lung cancer. Bottom line... total and complete BULL SHIT.

Status
Not open for further replies.