PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
So collaborations are hot in many hobbies right now and we have seen some really great pipe collaborations. My suggestion/question is this, what about a collaboration between great blenders? Pease X Ouellette, Hans from Hu X Glynn from GQ? My taste buds are getting antsy just thinking about it. Now of course there is the old saying about too many cooks in the kitchen and I am sure some things lend better to collaboration than others. What do you think? Is this something that would pique your interest, something you would rush to buy or do you think it's a bad or impractical idea. On a similar train of thought, have their ever been blend off's? Not the type where blenders try to nail a certain older tobacco but one in which given similar blending baccys, they each create a blend on the spot and it is smoked and judged? I could see that being tough because you might have to let them age a bit for the flavors to really marry but I still thought it was an interesting idea.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
So this thread isn't about Vanilla Ice?
003-041-0119.jpg

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
That was the reference and I knew I could count on you chaps to run with it but I thought you would chime in as well. Is the collaboration word not enough cross over for the clickbait? :nana:

Are their blends already like this I am unaware of? I'm used to seeing a single blender attached to blends. I can't help but wonder what might become of such an endeavor.

May 31, 2012
Gregory Pease and John Gawith have hooked up before...

http://www.glpease.com/Tobacco/SpecialEditions/Stonehenge.html
:
I think my favorite collab was actually between a tobacconist and a blender,

Steve Richman + J.F. Germain = Esoterica

:puffy:

May 31, 2012
Oh what the hell,

might as well post this video...

:mrgreen:
:

:

Van Winkle!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mx7kzarSwGE

Mar 30, 2014
wv
@lowercase

Damn. You beat me to it. Jim Carey on in living color was epic.

Ever see his Charles Bronson sketches?

Oh yeah,tobacco... Yes a brand new invention would grab ahold of me tightly.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Now of course there is the old saying about too many cooks in the kitchen and I am sure some things lend better to collaboration than others. What do you think?
This was my first thought, but it would be interesting if a couple of notable blenders collaborated on a blend. I'm trying to think what pairing or pairings would make sense. Maybe if a couple of blenders tried to re-create some storied, no-longer produced blend, that would be pretty exciting.

tppytel

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 23, 2014
Didn't C&D do some kind of collaborative blend (or series of them) at some point? It was a while back, probably 5+ years ago now.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
@ae1pt. Resurrecting the past is a worthy endeavor as most of the blends I looked at are 100+ years old and seemed to have stood the test of time. These new fangled flavored tobaccos with fruit scents are about as appealing to me and the rest of the tweed wearing, pink gin swilling brigade as someone goosing my sister up the old out door. Naturally if I had a sister I would be suitable amused, but in a restrained way among friends at the club! :rofl:

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I would like to see what kind of Navy blend Mac Baren and McClelland could produce together.

tppytel

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 23, 2014
They have done several. The Hebraica Series, which I believe were all collaborations with William Serad. Plus, Craig and Greg did the Two Friends Series together.

Thanks sparks, those were the ones I was thinking of.

May 31, 2012
Pass the brain bleach please.
:lol:

Perhaps it was your DOMS acting up?

:mrgreen:

(Disclaimer:

I'm not responsible for written extracts which may induce Dirty Old Man Syndrome.)

:lol:

7k8o48T.png

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
I didn't know about Stonehenge and was unaware that is where the name Two Friends derived from, great info. Considering how good Redwood is though, I wouldn't mind seeing more of this sort of thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.