Stonehenge Flake V Louisiana Flake: Early Days Comparison.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

3 Fresh Askwith Pipes
36 Fresh Estate Pipes
18 Fresh Erik Stokkebye 4th Generation Pipes
New Cigars
9 Fresh Winslow Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
After reading much about the re-release of Stonehenge Flake and how similar some folks thought it to be with Louisiana Flake I thought I would give both a try being a fan of VaPer blends. My only misgivings were they both were flavoured with cocoa. I do like cocoa but prefer it in a mug.
First off was the LF. This arrived more as a broken flake than being in whole flakes as I had expected. No worries as I rub my flakes out anyway. And so I did with the 50g spread out on a copper tray. It was the wetter of the two blends and the smell of cocoa was rather strong. Fully rubbed out I set some aside to dry off and tinned the rest. When sufficiently dry I loaded a bowl and fired up. Well the cocoa aroma transferred itself to the smoke much more than I was led to believe it would which was a disappointment to me. As for the Perique that was barely noticeable. Just occasionally was I made aware of its presence. Overall the smoke wasn't too bad but nothing too exciting either. I have now smoked three bowls in three different pipes and would rate it at 6/10.
Next was the SF. This is allegedly the same recipe as LF but with the all important addition of a bit of Burley. This arrived (from the States) in almost perfect condition meaning the flakes on the whole were intact. What really took me by surprise was that the flakes were covered in tiny crystals which usually bodes well. The tobacco is slightly darker than LF and looks more 'natural' inasmuch as the LF appeared to be dusted with something and the SF wasn't.
Much drier than LF it still needed a little airing afore it was how I like my flakes. The cocoa aroma was still there during the rubbing out process but not as strongly as in LF. I fired up my first bowl and was pleased that the cocoa was barely noticeable. The Perique on the other hand was very noticeable. I'm not suggesting it was 'over-periqued' just that I was aware of it in every puff. Having now also smoked three bowls of SF I can hand on heart say SF is the winner hands down at 8/10. Something else in its favour is it smokes a fair bit longer than LF for some reason.
Yes they are both made by Gawith and Hoggarth to a similar recipe but in my opinion they are not like for like. I will order more SF but once this batch of LF is smoked that will be it and that is a bugger for me as I can get LF anytime but I have to order my SF from the States.
I must also say that in neither blend did I detect any on the infamous 'Lakeland Essence' which was a blessing :puffy:
I know member Hawky has done a comparison, has anyone else?
Regards,
Jay.

drennan

Can't Leave
Mar 30, 2014
Normandy
Nope but I have found LF to be very inconsistent, like most G&H products, regarding the amount of lakeland essence present. I've had two pouches and one was lovely whilst the other was just pure essence and for me unsmokeable. I suppose it was one charms of hamemade products

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Andrew, you are not the first to make this observation that some Kendal blends suffer from the 'Lakeland Essence' despite not being labelled as containing such. I think both Kendal houses really need to sort this out as I suspect they are both losing sales due to this 'contamination'.
I am a regular buyer and smoker of FVF and SJF amongst others and thankfully thus far I think I have gotten away with it on the whole. I have on the rarest of instances picked up that very distinctive flavouring but not in sufficient quantities to make a complaint.
Have you not tried the new Stonehenge Flake yet?
Regards,
Jay.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I have to correct myself. I've been smoking Stonehenge a few times now and have to confess on two of those occasions I did pick up the dreaded 'Lakeland Sauce' during the first half of the smoke. That is a huge disappointment to me. Cocoa/chocolate is one thing but 'Lakeland Sauce' is another. I shall persevere with this 4oz that I have and then decide whether to purchase more.
Regards,
Jay.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I finally got around to reading this one. Great comparisons, Jay.
How do you feel about it now, three weeks after your last post?
Oh and I think you are mistaken. I have not yet done the comparisons myself but there was a lot of talk about it on another forum I frequent. Overall they appear to be too redundant for me to stock both in my cellar. I'm still waiting for my two tins to mature a bit before I pop them open.
Thanks for taking the time to compare them!

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I didn't find Louisiana Flake and Stonehenge Flake to be that similar. In both the Lakeland essence is present, but not to the extent that it dominates the blend and sublimates all other components. The cocoa flavoring was present in the Stonehenge flake while not particularly noticeable in the Louisiana Flake. The Perique in Louisiana Flake reminded me of black pepper while the Perique in the Stonehenge flake had a more fruity character. There may be differences from batch to batch, but this is pretty much how I experience the two flakes when I tried them back to back a few days ago.
As I recall, there was someone on PM who claimed that the two were the same blend in different packages. I don't think so.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Well time has passed and a few more bowls of each have been smoked. One thing I noticed to my great annoyance is that SF will ghost a pipe so be warned. I made the mistake of smoking it in a recently purchased Upshall bent Rhodesian I use exclusively for Va and VaPer blends. The next time I smoked some FVF in it and could taste the Lakeland Sauce. Thankfully it is now gone.
I actually quite like SF and LF is slowly growing on me but I think I would prefer both without the added cocoa. Why it was decided to include cocoa in a VaPer it is beyond me but thankfully it is not overpowering in either blend.
"As I recall, there was someone on PM who claimed that the two were the same blend in different packages. I don't think so."
Jesse you are quite correct, I have seen that comment a couple of times. SF and LF are 100% different blends. Yes there are similarities but they most definitely are not the same.
Hawky, just go and pop a tin as by my reckoning the blend already has some age on it as evidenced by the crystals on my batch.
Regards,
Jay.

Status
Not open for further replies.