PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ericthered

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 29, 2014
Suffolk, VA
A while back, right around the time the forum went kaput for a minute, forum member plains made a few samples of Stonehaven available. Life got in the way for a bit, but I was finally able to smoke a bowl of that enigmatic flake. I cube cut the flake and gravity loaded it into a no-name briar pot that I've devoted to english blends. I was surprised how burley forward the first half of the bowl was. The virginias hung in the background until the second half of the bowl when they became more prominent.
Overall, I enjoyed this blend, but not enough to join the legions waiting by their computers for it to come available. Thank-you plains, for your generosity, giving me the opportunity to taste this highly sought-after blend.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Try just breaking it up, in a small pipe, sipped slow. Make sure it's fairly dry. Not bone, just shy of the point that the ribbons break.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Try just breaking it up, in a small pipe, sipped slow. Make sure it's fairly dry. Not bone, just shy of the point that the ribbons break.
+1
A pot isn't the best chamber shape for this kind of tobacco. A small Dublin, or any tall narrow chamber will give you more flavor. Try giving it 1-2 hours of dry time. If there's much moisture, or it it's bone dry, you don't get much flavor from it.

ericthered

Jul 29, 2014
Suffolk, VA
Thanks for the tips, guys. I will be trying it next in a small meerschaum with a conical bowl. Maybe that'll concentrate the flavors a little more.

shanelktown

Lifer
Feb 10, 2015
I will be honest here but I am not a huge full VA flake kinda guy but stonehaven I think I would be in that legion waiting on the computer to by an 8oz bag of that stuff.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Smoking Stonehaven in a pipe previously used for English blends will take away a good amount of the flavors because of ghosting. I also would not use a pot to smoke it in as Sabble suggested a Dublin will work much better. One think I will disagree with sabble on is how dry to smoke it. It usually does need some drying time, but not to the point of crispiness. I like mine dried to a point, but I still want a bit of moisture. Besides the Dublin, a Zulu and Rhodesians also work very nicely for me.

hiplainsdrifter

Jan 8, 2012
x2 Cigrmaster on the dryness factor. I have overdried Stonehaven, and it becomes pretty tasteless. It should not be crumbly, but you should be able to rub the flake apart.

Status
Not open for further replies.