PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nukesimi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 25, 2016
Hi everyone. Having never smoked Stonehaven, but eternally curious, I thought that I might make my own tribute blend. I understand Stonehaven is a VaBur with a black treacle topping. Anyone have any idea regarding the proportions of Virginias to Burley? I'd be grateful to hear your remarks.

nukesimi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 25, 2016
I have also heard that the Virginia component is either dark or stoved. Any assumption is welcome.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
You might mix MacBaren Old Dark Fired And Rattray's Marlin Flake 70/30 or 80/20. I’ve never tried this recipe, but I have smoked both constituent blends and this would seem to be close-ish to the flavor of Stonehaven.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
philobeddoe's suggestion is excellent. It obviates the need to steam press the flake yourself, and should come close to creating Stonehaven's taste. IMO, ODF isn't all that far from the taste you're shooting for anyway (albeit somewhat more smokey tasting).

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Make a thin mix of molasses and potable clear alcohol, and lightly spray the blend.

lazar

Can't Leave
May 5, 2015
I think there's some licorice, too. Most if not all Germain blends seem to have some. It's like their Lakeland.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Double, double toil and trouble;

Fire burn, and caldron bubble.

Fillet of a fenny snake,

In the caldron boil and bake;

Eye of newt, and toe of frog,

Wool of bat, and tongue of dog,

Adder's fork, and blind-worm's sting,

Lizard's leg, and owlet's wing,—

For a charm of powerful trouble,

Like a hell-broth boil and bubble.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Don't for get the 200 year old presses that break down!
Good luck with your project. If you succeed you will be giving mankind it's greatest gift of the modern age, perhaps in all of history.
Hmmmmm...maybe I should try mixing Marlin Flake and ODF. I've got plenty in the cellar and like them both. They just don't taste even vaguely like Stonehaven to me, but they're great blends on their own.

rx2man

Part of the Furniture Now
May 25, 2012
Its funny that sablebrush says "They just don't taste even vaguely like Stonehaven to me..." The 1st time I smoked ODF the 1st thought that came to mind was Stonehaven. Maybe I was drinking beer or it was the pipe. Maybe I smoked Stonehaven out of the same pipe. I will now have to do this again lol.....

nukesimi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 25, 2016
I guess my question is, is it Burley forward or Virginia forward. It's maddening to think that for all these years I have failed to win a bag, but there are others who make it a game and find success. So, I try, again, to estimate perfection.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I would say it doesn't have a taste in which anything is "forward". It's a dark tasting and luxuriant balance of Burley and the softer, wine-like Virginias. Nothing sharp or grassy about them -- and not particularly sweet either, altho a natural sweetness is present.
IMO, FVF and ODF are such good hot-pressed flakes, there's no need writhe in angst over the scarcity of Stonehaven. Sure, it's good, very good; but there are excellent blends out there that will scratch the same itch.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Double, double toil and trouble;

Fire burn, and caldron bubble.

Fillet of a fenny snake,

In the caldron boil and bake;

I don't know about the Stonehaven recipe but I believe the recipe for the topping for War Horse Red is...
Hot snot and gobble pie

Well mixed up with a dead dog's eye

All stirred up nice and thick

Til it smells just like a cup of cold sick
Regards,
Jay.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Its funny that sablebrush says "They just don't taste even vaguely like Stonehaven to me..." The 1st time I smoked ODF the 1st thought that came to mind was Stonehaven. Maybe I was drinking beer or it was the pipe. Maybe I smoked Stonehaven out of the same pipe. I will now have to do this again lol.....
ODF has been described as both tasting like Stonehaven and tasting like St Bruno to me. St Bruno and Stonehaven have nothing in common, flavor wise, but apparently to some, they both taste like ODF. About the only other blend that actually comes close to Stonehaven is RDF, and that's not available in the US. ODF is a superb flake in its own right. It tastes like ODF.

nukesimi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 25, 2016
I have Dark Fired, White Burley and Carolina on hand, with Treacle. Apparently there may be a sample coming so it may be time to experiment. Rough guess:
Stone Maiden

1. Kentucky 10 percent

2. White Burley 30

3. Virginia Red 30

4. Virginia Bright 30

5. Treacle (applied with alcohol, likely Brandy)

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Op why are you torturing yourself? There was a post a few months back on one of the boards that revealed STG Lane acquired Germain’s shortly after John’s passing last year. They produce the blend under their own umbrella but label it Edgeworth slice. I believe they age the leaf for a year prior to packaging the Edgeworth whereas the Stonehaven is packaged and sold immediately.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
There was a post a few months back on one of the boards that revealed STG Lane acquired Germain’s shortly after John’s passing last year.
Market regulation means market concentration.
That is an interesting detail.
Stone Maiden

1. Kentucky 10 percent

2. White Burley 30

3. Virginia Red 30

4. Virginia Bright 30

5. Treacle (applied with alcohol, likely Brandy)
This recipe sounds fantastic. I could see it being good with the brandy alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.