Tags:   

Stonehaven Recipe

(18 posts)
  • Started 1 week ago by nukesimi
  • Latest reply from deathmetal
  1. nukesimi

nukesimi

Login to Send PM

Hi everyone. Having never smoked Stonehaven, but eternally curious, I thought that I might make my own tribute blend. I understand Stonehaven is a VaBur with a black treacle topping. Anyone have any idea regarding the proportions of Virginias to Burley? I'd be grateful to hear your remarks.

Posted 1 week ago #
  2. nukesimi

nukesimi

Login to Send PM

I have also heard that the Virginia component is either dark or stoved. Any assumption is welcome.

Posted 1 week ago #
  3. philobeddoe

philobeddoe

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You might mix MacBaren Old Dark Fired And Rattray's Marlin Flake 70/30 or 80/20. I’ve never tried this recipe, but I have smoked both constituent blends and this would seem to be close-ish to the flavor of Stonehaven.

"So it goes." - K.V.
    Posted 1 week ago #
  4. cortezattic

Cortez

A part of the problem since he ...

Login to Send PM

philobeddoe's suggestion is excellent. It obviates the need to steam press the flake yourself, and should come close to creating Stonehaven's taste. IMO, ODF isn't all that far from the taste you're shooting for anyway (albeit somewhat more smokey tasting).

I find myself sitting idly on the line dividing past and future,
    as if I could kill time without injuring eternity. -- Thoreau
    Posted 1 week ago #
  5. hawky454

hawky454

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You need a treacle topping.

Posted 1 week ago #
  6. chasingembers

chasingembers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

Make a thin mix of molasses and potable clear alcohol, and lightly spray the blend.

Brothers Of The Black Frigate
    Posted 1 week ago #
  7. lazar

lazar

Login to Send PM

I think there's some licorice, too. Most if not all Germain blends seem to have some. It's like their Lakeland.

Posted 1 week ago #
  8. cortezattic

Cortez

Login to Send PM

Double, double toil and trouble;
    Fire burn, and caldron bubble.
    Fillet of a fenny snake,
    In the caldron boil and bake;
    Eye of newt, and toe of frog,
    Wool of bat, and tongue of dog,
    Adder's fork, and blind-worm's sting,
    Lizard's leg, and owlet's wing,—
    For a charm of powerful trouble,
    Like a hell-broth boil and bubble.

Posted 1 week ago #
  9. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Don't for get the 200 year old presses that break down!

Good luck with your project. If you succeed you will be giving mankind it's greatest gift of the modern age, perhaps in all of history.

Hmmmmm...maybe I should try mixing Marlin Flake and ODF. I've got plenty in the cellar and like them both. They just don't taste even vaguely like Stonehaven to me, but they're great blends on their own.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain
    Posted 1 week ago #
  10. rx2man

rx2man

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Its funny that sablebrush says "They just don't taste even vaguely like Stonehaven to me..." The 1st time I smoked ODF the 1st thought that came to mind was Stonehaven. Maybe I was drinking beer or it was the pipe. Maybe I smoked Stonehaven out of the same pipe. I will now have to do this again lol.....

Posted 1 week ago #
  11. nukesimi

nukesimi

Login to Send PM

I guess my question is, is it Burley forward or Virginia forward. It's maddening to think that for all these years I have failed to win a bag, but there are others who make it a game and find success. So, I try, again, to estimate perfection.

Posted 1 week ago #
  12. cortezattic

Cortez

Login to Send PM

I would say it doesn't have a taste in which anything is "forward". It's a dark tasting and luxuriant balance of Burley and the softer, wine-like Virginias. Nothing sharp or grassy about them -- and not particularly sweet either, altho a natural sweetness is present.

IMO, FVF and ODF are such good hot-pressed flakes, there's no need writhe in angst over the scarcity of Stonehaven. Sure, it's good, very good; but there are excellent blends out there that will scratch the same itch.

Posted 1 week ago #
  13. mawnansmiff

mawnansmiff

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Double, double toil and trouble;
    Fire burn, and caldron bubble.
    Fillet of a fenny snake,
    In the caldron boil and bake;

I don't know about the Stonehaven recipe but I believe the recipe for the topping for War Horse Red is...

Hot snot and gobble pie
    Well mixed up with a dead dog's eye
    All stirred up nice and thick
    Til it smells just like a cup of cold sick

Regards,

Jay.

...take up thy stethoscope and walk...
    Posted 1 week ago #
  14. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Its funny that sablebrush says "They just don't taste even vaguely like Stonehaven to me..." The 1st time I smoked ODF the 1st thought that came to mind was Stonehaven. Maybe I was drinking beer or it was the pipe. Maybe I smoked Stonehaven out of the same pipe. I will now have to do this again lol.....

ODF has been described as both tasting like Stonehaven and tasting like St Bruno to me. St Bruno and Stonehaven have nothing in common, flavor wise, but apparently to some, they both taste like ODF. About the only other blend that actually comes close to Stonehaven is RDF, and that's not available in the US. ODF is a superb flake in its own right. It tastes like ODF.

Posted 1 week ago #
  15. nukesimi

nukesimi

Login to Send PM

I have Dark Fired, White Burley and Carolina on hand, with Treacle. Apparently there may be a sample coming so it may be time to experiment. Rough guess:

Stone Maiden
    1. Kentucky 10 percent
    2. White Burley 30
    3. Virginia Red 30
    4. Virginia Bright 30
    5. Treacle (applied with alcohol, likely Brandy)

Posted 1 week ago #
  16. User has not uploaded an avatar

bigpond

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Op why are you torturing yourself? There was a post a few months back on one of the boards that revealed STG Lane acquired Germain’s shortly after John’s passing last year. They produce the blend under their own umbrella but label it Edgeworth slice. I believe they age the leaf for a year prior to packaging the Edgeworth whereas the Stonehaven is packaged and sold immediately.

Posted 1 week ago #
  17. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Mod

Login to Send PM

I can't find Edgeworth Slice anywhere online. Wait... Lane bought Germaines? Crikey!
    I've had the Edgeworth Ready Rubbed, but it tasted... not to my liking, to put it kindly. But, maybe I should revisit that.

Michael
    Posted 1 week ago #
  18. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

There was a post a few months back on one of the boards that revealed STG Lane acquired Germain’s shortly after John’s passing last year.

Market regulation means market concentration.

That is an interesting detail.

Stone Maiden
    1. Kentucky 10 percent
    2. White Burley 30
    3. Virginia Red 30
    4. Virginia Bright 30
    5. Treacle (applied with alcohol, likely Brandy)

This recipe sounds fantastic. I could see it being good with the brandy alone.

"My own experience has been that the tools I need for my trade are paper, tobacco, food, and a little whiskey." -- William Faulkner

The Metal Mixtures
    Posted 1 week ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   samcoffeeman, bluesmk, zeedoctorae, georged, upnorth1, cynicismandsugar, snowyowl, winton, mcitinner1, tbradsim1, mikethompson, snowhill, paulie66scandinavian, uperepik, ben88, jravenwood