PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 24, 2012
Well, the prices for Stonehaven are already off to a good start in 2014. I see Rich is selling off some bags at $145:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ESOTERICA-STONEHAVEN-PIPE-TOBACCO-8oz-4noggins-/221345773364?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item33893c7734
It really is fascinating to see how the supply and demand curves function using this blend as a case example.

elpfeife

Lifer
Dec 25, 2013
Love to try it but not at that price! Pipe Guys had Tilsbury and Dorchester but sold out today.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I recently purchased a bag of Stonehaven at MSRP. I'd never had any before. It is good stuff, and worth the $60/lb that I paid for it. But no more than that. If I never buy another bag, because it is selling for $300/lb, I'll be OK with that. No loss. There is lots of good tobaccy in the nicotiana sea.
That said, Rich would be foolish not to sell Stonehaven for what the market will bear. Have at it.

Dec 24, 2012
That said, Rich would be foolish not to sell Stonehaven for what the market will bear. Have at it.
Hard to disagree with that. Clearly there are folks willing to pay this price. I just wonder how much higher it will go.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
For that kind of money I'll buy 3lbs of Mac Baren HH Old Dark Fired and call it a day...

dervis

Lifer
Jan 30, 2012
Hazel Green AL
Good for him! I agree with the pricing.Get all you can and more.
Of course P&C raised their Prices brand wide at a much lower percentage and on a post a month or so back got crucified for it.

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
Wow nice prices. I didn't know they raised that much. I just gave a buddy in the Pacific Northwest a bag but he's worth it. He takes good care of me on pipes and stuff.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
This really puts P&C's price increase into perspective :) Esoterica is far better off just selling the bags for $100 or so, than to sell them to retailers for like $20 only to have the retailers list them for over $100. They can make their tobacco as slow as they want and make the retailers pay more for "ultra premium tobacco."

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Something is worth what someone will pay. I just won't be a customer.

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
After the lengthy and brutal condemnation of P&C, including this post:
I just wanted to let everyone know that my shipment of Esoterica 8oz bags will be arriving late tomorrow. I have received the invoice and the price has not changed. I will be listing the 8oz bags that I receive on my website early Saturday morning(EST).
Oh, and by the way, I'll be charging you guys the same price as the last shipment I received even though the cost of obtaining these few hundred bags caused us to incur a lot of extra expenses, like the phone call......LOL.
I'm not going to get into a rant except to Ebay. I'm a capitalist and all for the increase of value in tobacco from an investment prospective, but not being a hypocrite and playing by the rules counts.
Craig

rickpal14

Lifer
Jun 9, 2011
Guys, that Stonehaven is listed in his consignment page. I don't think it is being sold by Rich directly. I certainly hope not, especially after reading the post by Craig that Rich originally made.

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
Being in the consignment area of the retail site is fine. Selling the product in your Ebay store is not. I've got no problem with making money on tobacco, but there are rules.
Craig

rickpal14

Lifer
Jun 9, 2011
Ohhhhh..... I didn't realize he had it on his eBay site too. I have to agree with you Craig!

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
No kidding, guys.
Esoterica has the prized bull in the pen these days but I do admire their commitment to the reseller channel. Still, as Eric and Peck pointed out, why in the Sam Hill haven't they raised their reseller prices?
Failing that I'm enough of a capitalist to question why they wouldn't reduce their reseller commitment quota by 10% to 15% and take advantage of the universal tag sale on the Bay? (To protect that very valuable reseller relationship just bonus the living daylights out of your IT employees to privately deal the hot hand.)
Believe it or not, these prices will eventually lower and it will be entirely due to customer demand. Demand will be satiated or folks will rebel at the prices requested. Someday, folks will reject paying 300 bucks for an NFL playoff game ticket with a forty dollar parking fee. Or, maybe it has to go higher. The market will bear. It always does.
Fnord

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
I am pretty sure the bags on eBay are consigned as well. Did anyone think to call him and ask before bashing the mans character in a public forum?

Dec 24, 2012
The bags being sold on ebay do say they are consigned, Chris. I don't fully understand the relevance of the distinction the guys above are making between product sold on consignment or not, however. The point of my post was nothing more than a market update/watch on one of our favourite blends.

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
Gotcha Peck. I didn't mean to sound all bitchy this morning. Please don't mind me and continue on guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.