PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
I've been interested in trying Stonehaven for quite some time to see what all the hubbub is about. However I am much too slow when I do get the in stock notice to actually buy some before they are long gone.
So I was thinking of asking you good folks what comparable alternatives you would recommend.(You can skip FVF from that list as I've got some and will by trying it shortly)
Thanks in advance. Sorry if there is already another post similar to this out there. I did a search and I have put together a list of Virginia's I'd like to try but thought I'd try to get other alternatives. I'm still working on learning to like Virginia's. :puffy:

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
In my opinion the closest blend to Stonehaven is Mac Baren HH Old Dark Fired. They are both va/burley flakes and are both very tasty. When I am in the mood for a va/burley and I want something a little stronger and smokier and I will reach for the ODF. I think it is the closest thing on the market to SH. It is also readily available and priced very nicely.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Harris I just saw earlier that the Wessex Gold Brick Virginia has become available and I know your a fan of that. Is it worth trying that, or ODH or one of the Solani blends like the 660 or 663? Or Hal O' the Wynd?

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
As far as plugs go I've only tried Peterson's 3P's and I sort of found it hard to find any flavor however that was also when I was just starting to begin my Virginia experimentation's.
I'm curious about several Virginia's including that Gold Brick, the Silver Flake and a bunch of others.
I'm ok with cutting slices off the plug and then cub cutting it. I'm just not sure which to try first. :)

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
fitzy, the Gold Brick is nothing like the SH, it is good but not similar. The only other flake besides the ODF is the Solani Silver Flake because of the Kentucky in it, but it does not taste like SH. ODF and SH could be like brother and sister, I would definitely go for that first. I love Silver Flake and am smoking it as I type, it is a great blend as roth mentioned above.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
fitzy:
Hal o' the Wynd is not quite in this category, IMO. It smokes much more like a straight Virginia; even though the manufacturer claims it contains burley and perique, I think they are almost unnoticeable in the smoke. (I do enjoy it, but to truly experience its rich sweetness, you need to smoke it VERY slowly.)
I'm only just beginning to explore this kind of flake, but one of the things that sets Stonehaven apart for me is the fact that the burley is wedded to the Virginia in such a way that it never really comes to the forefront -- and neither does the Virginia. That's why you won't get the nicotine hit -- and harshness -- that you'll find in an all-burley blend or a blend that's more burley-forward. For me, the balance is perfect. It's also worth noting that Stonehaven's flakes are extremely thin, about the thickness of four sheets of paper; all of the other flakes I've tried have been significantly thicker.
Apart from Navy Flakes, which typically include a rum component in addition to Virginia and burley, I've only tried SG's Brown Flake (which is very good, but more burley-forward) and Solani's Aged Burley Flake (which is an all-burley flake that I found a bit rough around the edges).
In another thread -- something like "Straight Virginias Get a Bad Rap" -- Cigrmaster posted this very helpful list:
==================================================

Mike, here is my list of Va and Vaper Flakes that have no bite for me. I cannot smoke much if any red Virginia's due to a body chemistry thing so all of my favorites have little or none. The TR next to the name designates ready to smoke out of the tin with no drying time. I smoke all of these on a regular basis and never have to deal with tongue bite.
Virginia Flakes:

Fribourg&Treyer Cut Virginia Plug

Fribourg and Treyer Vintage

Wessex Campaign Brigade Dark Flake

Wessex Brown Virginia Flake TR

Wessex Gold Virginia Flake TR

Wessex Gold Brick

Samuel Gawith Best Brown Flake

Samuel Gawith full Virginia Flake

Hamborger Veermaster

Dunhill Flake TR

Astley’s no. 44 Dark Flake TR

Solani Silver Flake TR

John Aylesbury Luxury Flake TR

Mac Baren HH Old Dark Fired

Esoterica Stonehaven

Rotary Navy Cut

Petersons Irish Flake

GL Pease Navigator
Virginia/Perique Flakes

Escudo

Solani 633 TR

Samuel Gawith St James Flake

Dunhill Deluxe Navy Rolls

======================================
I'm using this list as my field guide for exploring this style in more depth.
Finally: I think Esoterica's blends are truly unique, even when compared with other blends from the Germain line. I don't think you'll have any success finding an exact match. But I think you'll discover a wide range of blends that you might thoroughly enjoy.
Bob

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Thanks for the help everyone.
I'll start with ofd and that solani. I've been waiting for that brigade campaign to come in stock on smokingpipes also.

Dec 24, 2012
That is one reason why guys like Foggymountain have a large number of tins in the cellar. At last count, Foggy's stash of ODF tins was more than 50.
Wow, I have 27 and I thought I was doing well.

chakaraka

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 28, 2012
Vernon, BC, Canada
Oh I think you are doing just fine, peckinpahombre. Considering you are heading the TAD's Most Wanted List lately... My "cellar" (to use the term loosely) is still at the sub-one-pound level.
:P

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
I am not so sure HH Dark Fired is in quite the same category as Stone Haven but......... It definitly is a pretty good substitue for sure. I find, they each have their own unique qualities.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Does anyone have any other alternatives that are more available besides ODF?

I should have bought some ODF back on January 14th when I got the in stock notice.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I just did an inventory a couple of weeks ago and found out that I have 65 tins of ODF in stock. I really thought I only had maybe 35-40 but I had been ordering at such a clip I really wasn't paying close attention. That equals 14 pounds so you guys don't have to worry about me anymore. I just checked around and it is out of stock at my usual haunts. Over the summer and up until January it was readily available. Not once did I see an out of stock notice on it when I was ordering.
I am sure Mac Baren will get supplies back in the stores quickly, they know they have a winner and they are capable of producing quantity unlike Germain and Gawith.
fitzy, I would give GL Pease JackKnife Plug a whirl. It is a strong smokey kind of blend that is in it's own way similar to ODF but not as sweet. Also as mentioned above the Solani Silver Flake is just a great blend on it's own.
Also if you are looking for something strong with a lot of flavor, Petersons Irish Flake is always a good choice.
roth, another way of putting it is, " it is not the size but the ferociousness of the attack "

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Harris that explains why I can't find any. You bought them all. :crying:
I'll have to give the JackKnife Plug and Irish Flake a shot. I have some 3P's plug but I wasn't quite sold on it.
I wish they had 50g tins of the Silver Flake like they do of the Virginia Flake on smokingpipes.com.
I also wish I had a PO box in Connecticut so I can order tax free from pipesandcigars.com as well as cupojoes.com :puffpipe:

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
fitzy, it ain't my fault, my last order on the stuff was 1/9/2013 from P&C and they had plenty left. It was foggy who bought all of it after me. lol
I just got a tin of 3ps in a few days ago, haven't tried it yet. What about it that is not intriguing you?
If you try the Silver Flake and don't like it, I will trade you out of it, I am that sure you will like it. It will be a while though as I am not able to trade for probably a month or so.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Sure Harris that's what they all say.
Unfortunately I'm severely limited as to where I can order as I live in NY and refuse to pay 75% tax. lol
With the 3P's I found it sort of bland but I think it maybe more my tastebuds. I figured out sometime after I tried it that my buds weren't up to snuff and took a break. I'll have to try it again and see how it is.
I put in an order for the Silver Flake plus some Bright Cr from Gawith and some of the LBF. :)

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Have you ever tried Solani 633? It is one of my favorite vapers. I am sure you are going to really dig the Silver Flake, it is one of the finest blends out there in my opinion and it comes the prefect humidity. Make sure you have a jar because they do not come vacuum sealed even though the tin looks like it would.
I am still on the fence with JackKnife Plug, I put it away a few months ago and tried it the other night. My taste buds were off so I did not get a true representation of it's potential. I do have hopes for it though. If you have not tried GL pease Navigator that is another great blend. I forgot to mention that one, it has Dark Fired Kentucky in it which makes it a pretty strong one. If you can you might want to add it to your order. I would smoke that over LBF any day.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
I can't wait to try all of these. I don't have enough time to try the number of blends I have so I've been gradually weeding out the ones I won't reorder.
I have almost bought Orlik golden sliced like 5 times now. I had it and the 633 but pulled both out of the basket. Hopefully next time I will get them and ODF.
Harris I've got a tin of Navigator and Haddos delight at home. I tried both when my taste was off. I need to smoke them again.
I throw all my stuff into smallish sized mason jars just big enough to fit the tobacco. I've got 1/2 pint wide, pint wide and quart wide ball jars. The only time I don't jar it is if the tin is vacuum sealed and won't be opened. I've got a few vanilla flakes unopened but most of my stuff is in jars.
I label all the jars with the blend and date jarred then put them In a big rubber maid but I'm going to need another tub soon. Hehe
I also document it in a spreadsheet.

Status
Not open for further replies.