PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

danishpuffer

Lurker
Feb 8, 2010
Hey everyone, this is my first post here. I have been smoking a pipe for about a year, and have thus mainly smoked various aromatic blends. I have, however, experimented with a number of non-aromatic tobaccos lately, and I lucked out by getting my hands on a sampler of Esoterica Tobacciana Stonehaven. I really liked this tobacco; cool-smoking, smooth and delicious. However, I really have a hard time with the Nicotine level in this tobacco, and so we arrive at heart of the matter. Do any of you guys know of a tobacco with the qualities of Stonehaven, but with less of a Nicotine kick? Kind regards, Christian

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Greetings and welcome to the site. I can't answer your question -- except to suggest that you do not inhale it. But you might visit

Tobacco Reviews and search for some hints and suggestions there. Apparently it is frequently reviewed, and a wildly popular flake.

escioe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 31, 2013
I'm lifting this one from the grave.
Anyone have any ideas? Old Dark Fired? Jackkinfe? Something else?

acutabovebriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 18, 2013
Patras - Greece
If you have any BOTL across the pond have them send you some RICH DARK FLAKE. I am smoking some right now and it is 99% the same blend. It is made by Germain's

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
As far as I'm aware, there's nothing out there that's even similar to Stonehaven. Certainly not Jack Knife Plug or any of the dark fired blends. Bulwark flake is sort of in the same family of heavily steamed and pressed British flakes, but Stonehaven has a rich, smooth taste that's unlike anything else I've had.
That said, Stonehaven might not be your favorite tobacco (have you tried it, yet?). I enjoy it (Peck generously sent me a bag last summer) and I picked up a bag when Iwan Ries had some Esoterica in last year, but I usually prefer tobaccos with brighter, sharper flavors. When I'm in the mood, though, it's wonderful stuff and there's nothing else like it.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Right! I forgot about Rich Dark Flake -- but it's as hard to get as Stonehaven. It's kind of like Krumble Kake is to Penzance.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
escioe:
I haven't encountered anything that can come close to Stonehaven. To me, it's far above any other VA/burley flake out there. It's much smoother than ODF and especially Aged Burley Flake.
As has been said, Rich Dark Flake is very very close -- if not identical -- but it isn't available in the States, and I haven't found anyone overseas who carries it AND who will ship to the U.S.
Bob

james80

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 16, 2012
I'm a huge RDF fan however, recently I feel the quality has dipped somewhat. The last couple of orders don't seem to be as smooth and have been somewhat acrid. I have another batch due tomorrow from a different retailer. If it is good I will happily exchange for the wonderful H&H Anni Kake.

May 31, 2012
Why aren't there more dark flakes on the market?
I wish there was.
I can't believe another blender hasn't stepped up to try and fill the huge demand.
Is that a sign of respect, or is it a difficult blend to produce?
I'd say it's a difficult and laborious flake to get done just right.
If I wanted to experiment, like say take 3 parts Blackpool and add 1 part Solani ABF,

how would I prepare the black treacle?
Mix it with alcohol?
Put it in a spray bottle and apply?
Would that work, or is it futile?
DVyQrdA.jpg

L6CkSnQ.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.