Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

scrooge

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
Well most of you will probably disagree with me but! Tried it for the 1st time an was very disappointed with stonehaven. As a matter of fact I just didn't like it at all. Very lightly flavored an a little to sweet for me. So I'm 1 less person hunting for it now. Be gentle with the remarks people we all have different tastes.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
I'm personally offended and appalled by your comments. Men and women have lost their lives so that people such as yourself could savor the sweet flavor of this haven of the stone!! You should be ashamed ;)

scrooge

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
My 3 favorites are Dunhill 965, Royal Yacht an SG brown rope #4. But I have been burning up a lot of five brothers.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Have it, smoke it and enjoy it. But, if I could no longer obtain Stonehaven it wouldn't make me flinch in the least as there are way too many other blends out there to enjoy. Other than that, what ya like is what ya like, and as you said: 'people we all have different tastes'.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
When I first tried Stonehaven I was very disappointed with it. I found it to be nearly tasteless, with a sickly amount of sweetness. Essentially I dubbed it crap. Then MLC gave me a couple of suggestions for prepping it that made all the difference. Stonehaven is a PITA when it come to prep. If smoked too wet, it delivers no flavor. If smoked too dry, it delivers no flavor. When smoked at just shy of bone dry, with a minimal amount of moisture left in the flake, it really delivers. Mind you, I only smoke outdoors, so prep is much more critical since I can't rely on the room to carry the flavor to me. But, within that small target of dryness, I get all of that delicious bag note in the smoke from the pipe.

It's not head and shoulders above other blends. It's an option that has become a target for obsessive compulsives. Just pulled out a couple of flakes of FVF to dry out. Now THAT's a good smoke, not a PITA, and not hard to find.

scrooge

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
Yeah sable my morning pipe is either irish flake an bedtime is Bold Kentucky or the other way around.

P

pipebuddy

scrooge, every tobacco is not for everybody. Stonehaven does have a unique taste, after all.

Like sable was saying in another thread, I am not sure some people are hoarding Penzance and Stonehaven so much because they really like it, making them staple tobaccos; but, rather, because of the mercantile opportunities they represent for other pipe smokers.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
I doth protest! I've purchased it because I adore it in an aged state. I'm not smoking it now, not because it's a good tobacco or because I could profit, which it is and I could, but because in a decade it transforms and becomes an epic smoke and I can't afford the pre-aged bags. I suspect that I'm not alone in this endeavor. Decade old Penzance and Stonehaven are two of the finest smokes I've ever had and I intend to have them again... Oh yes, I shall have them again ;)

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
The name sounds like it would taste like a bag of rocks! Oh wait that Stonehenge. my bad.

smiley-laughing025.gif

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
The name sounds like it would taste like a bag of rocks! Oh wait that Stonehenge. my bad.
Actually I do have Stonehenge in the cellar, and a tight squeeze it was, let me tell you. Stonehenge Flake was a limited release VaPer with leaf from Brazil, Zimbabwe, and Malawi, made by G. L. Pease.
Merde, it's got 14 years on it! Must pop this puppy before it fades!
BTW, FVF is a great smoke!

zitotczito

Lifer
Aug 12, 2014
Not a fan of this either. I have been gifted both the newer stuff and 7 aged and I did not like it either time. I know it's the burley that really turns me off with this blend. I really wanted to like this, that way I can have 7 computer monitor's working and 6 cell phones with apps so I will never miss an alert. I would have even considered some robo calls to every B&M in the country to hoard ever last bag and leave the rest of you with nothing.
But alas, it's not to be. I don't like it and I don't search for it so for you Stonehaven lovers good for you and there are now 3 people you are not in competition with.

griffonwing

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2014
Omaha AR
I love both Stonehaven and Tilbury, but have not been able to acquire them in some time. I have not tried Penzance yet, however.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
I also have smoked it and found it fine, but not amazing. If it was readily available, I might age a few tins, but my heart is not at all broken that I have none.
Now, I do very much enjoy Tillbury.

baccyfart

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 11, 2015
shame and chagrin to thouest stonehaven haters! dost thou not understandest that it is indeed the prince among princes? whereupon cannest thou findest such a heavenly as stonehaven?

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
With your taken screename, I'm finding it difficult to take you seriously :) however, I agree with your assessment.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
It's been my experience that if you tell a group of ten people that there's a song that's beloved by 99/100 people, out of those ten people a couple will automatically hate the song before they've ever heard it and hate it even more once they have. Chalk it up to rebellion or supposition, it just seems this rule always holds true.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
No haters, just simply a few (me included) who find that it doesn't live up to all the hype associated with it. I'm quite sure that if for some crazy reason it was suddenly and readily available with no concern that it would become scarce that it would lose much of it's appeal and zealous following, much less the hoarding of it.

baccyfart

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 11, 2015
you guys are a good bunch of gents! the great thing with pipe tobacco...there's something different for everyone's taste. love pipe a ton more than cigars for this very reason!

Status
Not open for further replies.