PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
I bought a 1.5lb box each of luxury bullseye flake and luxury twist flake while P&C had their sale. While researching proper storage of these boxes I have read past posts that that say the plastic bags in the 1.5lb boxes weren't sealed with anything more than tape. Both of these boxes both appear to be fully sealed plastic bags.
So my question is do I leave them in the bags or transfer them to a bunch of half pint ball mason jars?
Thanks for the help

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
I always jar stuff I plan on storing. Besides plastic bags drying over time, they also seem to impart a bad flavor to the tobacco, in my opinion. Jars are fail safe! That would be my recommendation.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I can't say from experience that you would have bad results storing them in the bag, but I always jar LBF, LNF, and LTF with excellent results.

Jar it to be certain.

It was me who noticed that up until last year or so, the bags weren't sealed. But, yes, they have started sealing the bags. But, I wouldn't trust the bags. However, I have seen plume on boxes of St James that was aged in the box. But, my luck, I would end up with a box of saw dust. Don't risk it, jar it.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Fitzy, here's the real problem with the bags. Let's say the bags are bulletproof and last ten years. Can you smoke 1.5 pounds of baccy in a short period? I recently opened a one pound bag of FVF shared it with the Forum. I just smoked the last of what I kept and after basically being open for three months it was flatter than my initial notes after opening. It was still good. Just flat.
I jar to make the air seal more guaranteed AND to break the bulk quantity into a smokable quantity.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Alright that settles it.
Thanks everyone for the input. I'll be jaring these suckers up this weekend.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
By transferring to jars, you introduce a little more air to the tobacco which should aid the aging process if that is what you are after.

Status
Not open for further replies.